Have you let yourself go?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ah-dee said:
7 hours ago, ICTChris said:
It must be hard work getting the money to drink that much - how much is the cheapest litre of vodka, about £10?  And a bottle of gut-rot cider is about £5, so that's £35 a day to be found for drink, £245 a week.  I assume the guy wasn't working so he must've been thieving or something like that, all while absolutely cunted.

theres a boy in Forfar whos a well known alcoholic who will freely admit he gets extra benefit money to subsidise his drinking. absolute joke. i can understand suddenly stopping could kill him but aiding his over drinking is surely a step far too far!

No he doesn't. No-one gets money for drink.

He is likely to have multiple physical and mentally disabling conditions that qualify for enhanced benefit rates.

Not really sure how to react to this thread TBH. I've always had a pretty good diet and been active through work and exercising. Had a period of about 1=3 years in my late 20's where I was more than 1 stone greater than my advised weight, mainly due to weekend excesses on alcohol and crisps. Other than that, no, I hadn't let myself go.

Now, I'm about 2 stones underweight and physically weak in comparison to my previous self yet people tell me I look good!

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Not really sure how to react to this thread TBH. I've always had a pretty good diet and been active through work and exercising. Had a period of about 1=3 years in my late 20's where I was more than 1 stone greater than my advised weight, mainly due to weekend excesses on alcohol and crisps. Other than that, no, I hadn't let myself go.

Now, I'm about 2 stones underweight and physically weak in comparison to my previous self yet people tell me I look good!

People with cataracts?

17 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

In better nick now than 18 years ago (pics available of req). Still have a bad diet, booze etc but do plenty of hard exercise.

Careful. I was saying that just over a year ago!

17 minutes ago, sjc said:

This was where I was always going to be doomed. Not making excuses for being a fat fecker but my 'thin' weight was at the top end of my height/weight chart. It was enough to drive me to drink. And pies. 

7 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

This was where I was always going to be doomed. Not making excuses for being a fat fecker but my 'thin' weight was at the top end of my height/weight chart. It was enough to drive me to drink. And pies. 

I agree the weight charts can be flawed/misleading. I thought staying within a stone of the "target" weight by having, in general, a good diet and regular exercise would be good practice but life doesn't work like that!

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He is likely to have multiple physical and mentally disabling conditions that qualify for enhanced benefit rates.

Correct, this they get extra for drink is utter shite, it’s like some I know who think  the homeless get more money for having a dog ffs

You can get so badly fucked with the drink that your liver doesn’t bother purifying the alcohol anymore so the drink can no longer harm you. You would basically just pish out exactly what you drank in.

You can get so badly fucked with the drink that your liver doesn’t bother purifying the alcohol anymore so the drink can no longer harm you. You would basically just pish out exactly what you drank in.

Let’s hope you don’t fancy a career change and become a biology teacher.

Mid-50s, 5'10", for the last 38 years I've never been outwith the range 11st2 to 11st13.

The thing that affects my weight most, by far, is the amount I eat and drink in any given week. Can just about predict my weight to within a pound given my weight at the start of the week and having a think about what I've consumed.

I play a fairly high volume of racket sports (mostly squash) and have about one round of golf a week. I also train for around and hour and a half twice a week at another sport and compete at that sport a couple of dozen times a year. It's striking how little any variation in my amount of exercise affects my weight. Pretty much not at all. The one exception is when I allow myself to get a bit dehydrated during squash (or when out for a walk or a cycle): that can easily drop a few pounds, but it goes straight on as soon as I can get a few pints of water down me. When I first trained for sports, received wisdom was that you only took in liquids, by sipping, after you'd finished the training session or competition. Really need to change that habit because it's not healthy the way I do it right now.

Despite being pretty much right on my 18yo weight, I reckon I'm carrying about 6lb of excess fat (I mean fat that's visible, not just a healthy covering on my bones). I'd like to shed that and put on about 10lb of muscle. Hope to manage that by the end of November.

he is on the highest universal credit rate and also the highest P.I.P rate pueely because of alcohol. perhaps i have worded incorrectly but he is paid at the enhanced rate becsuse he is an alcoholic. he is paid more becquse he drinks

I've put on a about a stone in the last year, all started when I broke my heel last July so was off my feet for quite a bit so just sat around drinking beer and eating junk food. Even after the bone heeled I still  couldn't do a lot of exercise so basically gave up on the gym. I'm not really fat but was always quite skinny so being about twelve and a half stone and 6" isn't terrible and I still fit into a small in most clothes and wear  32" waist jeans so not too bad at 36 years old.

I finish up for two weeks on Friday and I'm gonna gave a blow out for all the time I'm off work but when it's over I'm cutting right down on the beers and junk food and getting back to the gym.

8 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

he is on the highest universal credit rate and also the highest P.I.P rate pueely because of alcohol. perhaps i have worded incorrectly but he is paid at the enhanced rate becsuse he is an alcoholic. he is paid more becquse he drinks

No, he is paid more because he is ill. Other people will be on the same rates, although they have different problems. The benefit rate is based on the degree of incapacity, not the cause of it,

1 hour ago, sugna said:

Mid-50s, 5'10", for the last 38 years I've never been outwith the range 11st2 to 11st13.

The thing that affects my weight most, by far, is the amount I eat and drink in any given week. Can just about predict my weight to within a pound given my weight at the start of the week and having a think about what I've consumed.

I play a fairly high volume of racket sports (mostly squash) and have about one round of golf a week. I also train for around and hour and a half twice a week at another sport and compete at that sport a couple of dozen times a year. It's striking how little any variation in my amount of exercise affects my weight. Pretty much not at all. The one exception is when I allow myself to get a bit dehydrated during squash (or when out for a walk or a cycle): that can easily drop a few pounds, but it goes straight on as soon as I can get a few pints of water down me. When I first trained for sports, received wisdom was that you only took in liquids, by sipping, after you'd finished the training session or competition. Really need to change that habit because it's not healthy the way I do it right now.

Despite being pretty much right on my 18yo weight, I reckon I'm carrying about 6lb of excess fat (I mean fat that's visible, not just a healthy covering on my bones). I'd like to shed that and put on about 10lb of muscle. Hope to manage that by the end of November.

Fair play to you, I see guys of your age (and size) up the hills and do get a bit of envy as they're scampering up a lot quicker than I can.  I'm definitely more a sherpa these days, I can still carry a heavy bag, just a lot slower than I did.

No, he is paid more because he is ill. Other people will be on the same rates, although they have different problems. The benefit rate is based on the degree of incapacity, not the cause of it,
ill because of alcohol

Archived