If Scotland were...

DA Baracus

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s amazing we’re not there, given we’re better than 25% of the teams at the World Cup. If only we could finish top of a UEFA qualifying group like the posties and fishermen. We’ll get a lucky draw one day.

Morocco's final 23-man squad. Seems they can interest the likes of Madrid and Juventus. Again, they have a good mix of leagues amongst their squad.

Goalkeepers: Mounir El Kajoui (Numancia), Yassine Bounou (Girona), Ahmad Reda Tagnaouti (Ittihad Tanger).

Defenders: Mehdi Benatia (Juventus), Romain Saiss (Wolves), Manuel Da Costa (Basaksehir), Nabil Dirar (Fenerbahce), Achraf Hakimi (Real Madrid), Hamza Mendyl (Lille).

Midfielders: M'barek Boussoufa (Al Jazira), Karim El Ahmadi (Feyenoord), Youssef Ait Bennasser (Caen), Sofyan Amrabat (Feyenoord), Younes Belhanda (Galatasaray), Faycal Fajr (Getafe), Amine Harit (Schalke 04).

Forwards: Khalid Boutaib (Malatyaspor), Aziz Bouhaddouz (Saint Pauli), Ayoub El Kaabi (Renaissance Berkane), Nordin Amrabat (Leganes), Mehdi Carcela (Standard de Liege), Hakim Ziyech (Ajax), Youssef En Nesyri (Malaga).

Aye none of them are in uefa champ.  It's much harder to qualify from Europe for the simple reason about 30 of the 40 best teams in the world are European.

How many games has he played for real Madrid btw?  We have guys playing regularly for Liverpool and man utd.

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Egypt have been terrible,  Morocco  slightly unfortunate, Senegal beat Poland (who are better than Scotland), Nigeria comfortably beat Iceland (who are also better than Scotland) and I'll judge Tunisia after today.

Lol.  Iceland are worse than hearts.

31 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Just realistic. Even in good positions we throw it away. Belgium at home, England at home, 1978 World Cup.

Serial losers.

You really are a bit of an arsehole tbf.

28 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

And yet they have qualified for their last two tournaments against the likes of Croatia, Turkey, Ukraine, Netherlands, Czech Republic.

Why is that?

Well it's clearly not good players cause they don't have any except one.  I'll let you puzzle the conundrum.

There's another two we're better than, Iran and Morocco.  That's eight, 25% of the teams there.

Aye none of them are in uefa champ.  It's much harder to qualify from Europe for the simple reason about 30 of the 40 best teams in the world are European.

How many games has he played for real Madrid btw?  We have guys playing regularly for Liverpool and man utd.

I was replying to your post above, where you mentioned us being better than Morocco.

No idea how many games he’s played for Real Madrid, or how many games the guy has played for Juventus. Or returning to Europe, how many games the Icelandic lad has played for Udinese. The point stands, though.

Why do you think Scotland haven’t qualified for a tournament for 20 years?

What are Iceland doing right that we aren’t?

19 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

As evidenced by the inane drivel spouted by the usual suspect(s) on this thread, Scotland’s wholly misplaced sense of entitlement has yet to be eroded by 20 years of consistent failure to achieve anything on the international stage.

Yeah, we’re obviously much better than those Icelandic ‘fishermen’. That was glaringly obvious when a number of the squad who have been so successful in recent years swept us aside 4-2 in the play-offs for the 2011 Euro Under 21s finals. I was at Easter Road for the home leg, and anyone who claims that Iceland weren’t streets ahead of us technically wasn’t watching the game properly. Oh, and Iceland just happened to beat us 2-0 (and draw 0-0 in Scotland) in the qualifiers for 2017, finishing a distant 10 points ahead of us in the group on 18 points, in an admittedly modest 3rd position, while we languished in 5th on 8. And of course, not only have they qualified for two major tournaments in a row, while we haven’t qualified for anything for two decades, they finished above Euro 2016 winners Portugal in the group stages at the Euros, defeated England in the round of 16 and got to the quarters, something we’ve never threatened to do in our history. Presumably, if our players are so superior, then our coaching, organisation, and ability to get the best from the resources at our disposal, must be infinitely inferior to that of the plucky Icelandic minnows.

While there may be something in the suggestion that a succession of Scottish managers have failed to inspire our modest squads to punch above their collective weights in the way that teams like Iceland, Republic of Ireland and Wales have, I’m just not buying the argument that we have much better players than these nations. 

Similarly, suggestions that we’d qualify (or make the play offs easily) from the North and Central American or African qualifiers are almost certainly misplaced. Not sure if anyone watched the recent match against Costa Rica, but they were miles ahead of us. Fair enough, we fielded an experimental team, but Costa Rica were a level above. Played two, lost two against these Central American ‘minnows.’ 

I’ve heard the view expressed on other threads that we’re miles better than the USA in terms of our playing resources. Our last win against the USA came in 1992. Since then, we’ve lost 2-1 in 1996, drawn 0-0 in 1998, 1-1 in 2005, lost 5-1 in 2012 and drawn 0-0 in 2013. If our personnel are ‘much better’ then we’ve inexplicably struggled against them over the last 25 years or so. Once again, I suspect we’ve just been overtaken by a nation we’ve long regarded as our footballing inferiors. 

Africa: of course they’re vastly overrated. Should be a doddle to qualify from there.... OK, let’s look at our record against African teams since our encounter in 1974 with an admittedly dreadful Zaire team. We haven’t played that many games, but those we have played have been characterised by a complete inability to put those pesky Africans in their place. I was in France in 1998, and Morocco absolutely swept us aside. 3-0 flattered us. 1990 we lost 3-1 to Egypt in Aberdeen, outplayed from start to finish. 2002 we lost 2-0 to Nigeria and 2-0 to South Africa. We drew 2-2 with Nigeria at Craven Cottage in 2014, and the only win I can find was 1-0 over South Africa at Pittordie in 2007. I think it’s fair to say we’ve struggled overall. 

I’ve followed the Scotland football team since the days when we used to have decent players (a long time ago). Even when we had good players, we struggled against so-called minnows. I’d say Scottish complacency has been much more of a contributory factor in our stagnation over the last 20 years than so-called Scottish cringe. We’ve been left for dead by loads of national sides that used to be our inferiors. There is absolutely no justification for complacency any more. We have a few promising young players and one who could genuinely be described as world class (Robertson), nothing more. I do think Scotland will improve considerably over the next 5-10 years, but we could hardly get any worse.

I don't see any complacency at all.  I see a lot of cringe from people like you.  Nobody is being complacent, and yes you're absolutely correct everything else must be infinitely inferior as our players are much better than Iceland's.  That's why our players get paid twenty grand a week and theirs get five.

Reality is that Scotland have obviously been rubbish for a long time, nobody here will deny that. But reality is also that Europe is by far the strongest continent and hardest route to the World Cup, only South America is close to it. Anywhere else Scotland would at least have a better chance, not saying that Scotland would qualify, but at least the chance would be bigger.

Having said that, there is no reason why Scotland should be this rubbish. In terms of money, facilities, attendances and so on, taking size into account, Scotland should be roughly around 12th place in Europe on average. Obviously there will be better and worse qualifying campaigns, and 12th on average would still not mean qualifying for every tournament, but you'd at least qualify on a fairly regular basis. Scotland should be in the category of teams like Sweden for example, who regularly qualify. The fact that that's not the case and Scotland is well behind such a position shows that we are under-performing, and have been for a long time, just shows that the game is being run terribly here and we'll need to have a long and hard look at it.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I was replying to your post above, where you mentioned us being better than Morocco.

No idea how many games he’s played for Real Madrid, or how many games the guy has played for Juventus. Or returning to Europe, how many games the Icelandic lad has played for Udinese. The point stands, though.

Why do you think Scotland haven’t qualified for a tournament for 20 years?

What are Iceland doing right that we aren’t?

You said they're good cause they have a guy who plays for real Madrid.  How many games has he played?  I know the answer.  Scotland have two guys at real Madrid right now if you want to go down that route.

Well it's clearly not good players cause they don't have any except one.  I'll let you puzzle the conundrum.

Is the one good player Sigurdsson?

I imagine they get results against good teams and qualify as they are a good team.

Do you think Scotland are better but just a bit unlucky?

You said they're good cause they have a guy who plays for real Madrid.  How many games has he played?  I know the answer.  Scotland have two guys at real Madrid right now if you want to go down that route.

If we have two guys at Real Madrid why are they not in the Scotland squad? What age are they?

According to Morocco lads Wiki he’s made 9 appearances for Real Madrid.

The lad who plays for Juve has 24 appearances noted.

I look forward to seeing a Scotland squad with players at big European clubs.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Woe is me?

We're dealing in facts. You seem to be going off the fact that you think they look shite (often against very strong opposition).

You are not ‘dealing in facts’. You’re saying we are worse than the likes of Saudi, Panama etc because they have qualified and we haven’t - which is utterly ridiculous, as has been pointed out a few times now. They have a far, far easier route to qualification than Scotland, so qualifiying actually means little when comparing against teams from other continents. 

Its typical Scottish ‘it’s in our DNA to fail’ mewling (someone actually posted that in this thread :lol: ) and it seems pretty pathetic.

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Is the one good player Sigurdsson?

I imagine they get results against good teams and qualify as they are a good team.

Do you think Scotland are better but just a bit unlucky?

Yes.  They are well managed.  Scotland are not.  If you have the Scotland's squad to Iceland they'd be pissing their pants.

Is this guy trolling us here? Seriously you can't be real thinking Scotland is superior to teams beating England and getting to quarter finals. If you can't handle the truth and want to lash out by abusing people that that just reflects badly on you. What high level are Scotland players playing at? Iceland have players in the premiership serie a and in Dutch and Russian football. Dunfermline finished fourth in Scotland with internationals and got beat by an Icelandic 'diddy' team in Europe. We are second rate at club level and at international but because we had the likes of dalgleish forty years ago and Celtic won a trophy sixty years ago we are somehow a massive footballing nation.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Is this guy trolling us here? Seriously you can't be real thinking Scotland is superior to teams beating England and getting to quarter finals. If you can't handle the truth and want to lash out by abusing people that that just reflects badly on you. What high level are Scotland players playing at? Iceland have players in the premiership serie a and in Dutch and Russian football. Dunfermline finished fourth in Scotland with internationals and got beat by an Icelandic 'diddy' team in Europe. We are second rate at club level and at international but because we had the likes of dalgleish forty years ago and Celtic won a trophy sixty years ago we are somehow a massive footballing nation.

So are Iceland better than England then?

So are Iceland better than England then?
At the moment they are at a similar standing. England got caught out by having the same arrogant attitude.
Iceland just got a draw with Argentina. Can you see Scotland doing this at a major tournament any time soon?
Nope.

Archived