miraculous last-minute goings on

who's been at a game when something (fairly significant) has been decided by a last minute, or very late, goal ?

i love this sort of thing - ludicrous celebration at one end of the ground, and utter desolation at the other - small children in tears, goading in massive amounts - the ultimate scenes !

been lucky enough to have been at three (worthwhile) examples:

"that" Brentford v Rovers game with the  last-minute penalty miss and goal that followed to go up as L1 champions in 2013

2003 Conference play off final - Rovers v Dagenham & Redbridge at the Britannia in Stoke; only (I think) time that promotion has been decided by a golden goal, when Francis Tierney scored after 20 minutes of extra time to win it 3-2

2001 Serie A relegation play-off; 2nd leg at Reggina; Hellas had won the first leg 1-0, but were 0-2 down with a couple of minutes left and staring relegation in the face; "Super Mike" Cossato scored to keep 'em in the top flight on away goals; Reggina fans went mental at the final whistle, the team were led off the pitch under armed guard, and getting back to the ferry terminal afterwards was a bit on the lively side !

attendances for these last two were around 27/28,000, so although the matches were a bit piss-pot in real terms, plenty enough folk there to make the atmosphere pretty memorable - it was about as hostile as I ever want to see in Reggio Calabria; Brentford was, and always will be, just the finest thing i've ever seen....

how 'bout you...?

My Dutch team Excelsior Rotterdam played in the play-off final for promotion to the Eredivisie back in 2010 against local rivals Sparta. Just like in Scotland the play-offs include higher division teams & finals are 2 legs, but the main exception is that the away goal rule does count. Sparta were the higher division side and we were trying to get promoted at their expense.

The first leg at home finished 0-0. The away leg was 0-0 for a long time too. In the 89th minute we got a penalty, but missed. In 90+1, Sparta scored 1-0 and we were all absolutely devastated. However, in 90+3, the player who just missed the penalty got the ball and fired it home, followed by a massive celebration as we got promoted on away goals at our fiercest rival's ground, getting them relegated.

6-2 down at home against Hibs, 20 minutes to go.

We score. Then we score again. And again.....

90th minute, 6-5 down, we get a penalty, Ross Forbes steps up to make it 6 each and snatch a draw....

And misses, the last chance...and it's gone. Absolutely devastated.

John Sutton then punts a long ball forward to no-one in particular, and Lukas Jutkiewicz absolutely smashes in the best goal I've ever seen in the flesh to make it 6-6.

The best game i've ever seen and probably ever will.

I was there at Edgar Street for Hereford United vs. Accrington Stanley in March 2006. 

Stanley had been top all season but we'd made some ground. However, it wasn't good enough. 

If Stanley win, they go up on our turf. John 'Salad Dodger' Coleman had been winding us up all season. 

We go in 2-0 at half due to a goal from ex Bull David Brown (typical) and a Tamika Mkandawire :wub::wub::wub: own goal. 

The ref sends off a Stanley player (can't remember why) and we get a penalty which is saved with Stuart Fleetwood grabbing the rebound. 

As the game goes on, the game is end to end until on loan French midfielder Nicky Nicolau smashes in a 94th minute equaliser and almost bursts into the home end to piss on John Coleman's chips. 

Accy ended up winning their next game at home and we ended up winning the playoffs that year at Leicester which is a day I'll never forget.  

Accrington have gone on to be a fantastically run club who've punched above their weight for a decade or so now. 

Unfortunately, we were taken over by crooks and robbed into the ground but we now have Hereford F.C. which has really rallied the town. We start in Conference North next season amongst some ex league clubs such as Stockport County, Boston United and Kidderminster Harriers.

I do miss the old Hereford United days mind...:( 

30 minutes ago, Al B said:

6-2 down at home against Hibs, 20 minutes to go.

We score. Then we score again. And again.....

90th minute, 6-5 down, we get a penalty, Ross Forbes steps up to make it 6 each and snatch a draw....

And misses, the last chance...and it's gone. Absolutely devastated.

John Sutton then punts a long ball forward to no-one in particular, and Lukas Jutkiewicz absolutely smashes in the best goal I've ever seen in the flesh to make it 6-6.

The best game i've ever seen and probably ever will.

Two things I had forgotten about that game, just how fucking good that Jutkiewicz goal was, and secondly that Craig Brown was in charge. 

Guest JTS98

Mark Miller's last-minute penalty against Clyde at Douglas Park to get Brechin City promoted in 1993 at the expense of Stranraer, who were already celebrating.

Going back a bit - 1968/69 at Dens Park, The Dons go 2 up, but with 10 minutes left trail 4-2. Davie Robb pulls one back and in the dying seconds Ally Shewan of all people heads in the equaliser. After feeling we had thrown it away, it then felt like a win.

A bit more recent - probably only 30 years ago! - Jim Platt saves a last minute penalty against Linfield, only to concede from the resultant corner for the Blues to win. Devastated.

32 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

....at the expense of Stranraer, who were already celebrating.

that's the last vital ingredient to make occasions like this particularly glorious - at Brentford, a 1-0 win (ie if their pelanty had gone in) would have seen them promoted automatically and we were in the playoffs - the about face secured us the title and stuffed them in the playoffs (where they lost to Yeovil); the ground was absolutely bouncing before Marcello Trotta hit the bar (scored a few for Crotone in Serie A last season, so he's got over it...)

5 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

that's the last vital ingredient to make occasions like this particularly glorious - at Brentford, a 1-0 win (ie if their pelanty had gone in) would have seen them promoted automatically and we were in the playoffs - the about face secured us the title and stuffed them in the playoffs (where they lost to Yeovil); the ground was absolutely bouncing before Marcello Trotta hit the bar (scored a few for Crotone in Serie A last season, so he's got over it...)

Nothing better (or worse) than a last minute goal. 

Anfield 1995 ... Liverpool score in the last minute to go 2-1 up on Blackburn ... who despite this moments later are celebrating the Premier League title.

Gerrard’s 35 yarder seconds after the board had gone up to make it 3-3 in the 2006 FA Cup Final. Scenes. 

Was at the aforementioned 2016 Scottish Cup Final. 

Stephen McManus v Lichtenstein. 

Up in Wick a couple of years ago with Whitehill. Conceded in the 92nd minute to trail 2-1 only equalise in the 95th minute. Scenes and made the trek back a lot more bearable. Unfortunately lost the replay. 

Not that impressive but we had a terrible season in the league and this win and the late goal really gave us something to cheer about.

Probably the only time I’ve felt the stand shake a little. Even more than when we beat rovers to win the league. 

Added bonus was hearing the real radio hearts fan crying live on air. Not actual tears hopefully.

:lol:

Clydebank away to Blairgowrie in the 2007/08 Scottish Cup. Bankies had been 1-0 up, Blairgowrie went 2-1 up, Bankies went down to 9 men, pulled it back to 2-2 and in the last minute won it with an overhead kick from Mark Hailstones. Only a few hundred there to witness it(Highlights are on YouTube, featuring me in the background swigging from a bottle of something or other, but I cannot access that in work) but it was one of those things that make it all worthwhile when traveling the length and breadth of the country to watch your team.

Was at the Cardiff v Swansea game in 2010 when Michael Chopra scored an injury time winner to give Cardiff their first home win v Swansea in 20 odd years. Ended up with thousands of Cardiff fans refusing to leave the ground so that they could celebrate en masse, knowing that the police would not let the Swansea fans leave until the area surrounding the stadium had been cleared of home fans. 30-40 minutes after full time there were still 5k odds there having a party and generally getting it right up the Swansea fans.

In a dross season with awful players playing really badly, about 6 minutes of craziness managed to at least brighten up Dunfermline's 2013/14 season - Pars were 3-0 down at Ochilview after about an hour but clawed back 2 goals to make it 3-2 and it looked like an away win was incoming. Stenny scored another though and going into the 85th minutes we were 4-2 down and looking devoid of ideas. 3 goals in 6 minutes including an injury time winner by Andy Geggan saw us complete an unlikely comeback and win 5-4. Pretty sure we also scored very late against them in a home fixture that season too.

Archived