Mexico v Sweden

welshbairn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to fancy Mexico but I don't think a surprise would be out of the question. Three teams fighting for two spaces with Germany more or less guaranteed a win means the loser of this game goes home. Hopefully that leads to an interesting match. I'll also go with 2-1 to the Mehicans.

Dunno why the BBC have put the Germany-South Korea game on One and this on Two, this is surely the bigger and more interesting game?
Folk who don't normally watch football but do watch the World Cup will see Germany playing and stick with it. It seems that 1. The BBC does care about ratings despite "The unique way the BBC is funded" and 2. There are still people out there who put on BBC1 and just leave it and are either unable, unwilling or otherwise can't switch channels to BBC2. It's why Andy Murray (and Tim Henman before him) had Wimbledon matches on BBC1 which ran on past the news but regular matches would get switched.

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
12 minutes ago, GordonS said:
Dunno why the BBC have put the Germany-South Korea game on One and this on Two, this is surely the bigger and more interesting game?

Folk who don't normally watch football but do watch the World Cup will see Germany playing and stick with it. It seems that 1. The BBC does care about ratings despite "The unique way the BBC is funded" and 2. There are still people out there who put on BBC1 and just leave it and are either unable, unwilling or otherwise can't switch channels to BBC2. It's why Andy Murray (and Tim Henman before him) had Wimbledon matches on BBC1 which ran on past the news but regular matches would get switched.

Agreed, same can be said for pundits ( itv included) where they will choose big names for a world cup, the ability to be insightful or string a sentence together is secondary.

6 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

That looked a penalty to me. 

Yes, the ref even went to VAR, Swedish Manager doing a Fergie on the touchline and a Swedish player dragged away. I think the ref owes Sweden a favour second half.

20 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Good to see a referee deciding to stick with his original decision after going to a VAR review.  I think more often than not so far the decision has been overturned after a review.

How is this good? It was a clear an obvious handball. How the ref can't give that having looked at it is quite stunning. Sticking to your original decision in the face of facts which show that decision to be wrong is just poor.

Sweden are playing well, and I hope they win, but  they're a touch agricultural for me.

Archived