What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

From the Senedd, best non apology EVER

"Of course, I regret the way that the last three months have been covered and reported, and I regret the impact of the choice I made within all of the rules at the time, and I would not want either myself or any of my colleagues to have had to go through that again.

"I recognise that there has been real damage caused to a range of people in this place."

Look at Labour's record in Wales,specifically the NHS which they have somehow managed to make worse than Tory run England ...then ask yourself "what is the point of Labour " ? .

17 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Utterly needless comment. Annoys the left and reminds the right that Corbyn was a thing. Lose-lose.

Sorry, I may have forgotten to mention this... Starmer is a grade A knvt!

6 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

Look at Labour's record in Wales,specifically the NHS which they have somehow managed to make worse than Tory run England ...then ask yourself "what is the point of Labour " ? .

The NHS here is a joke. I've been lucky enough not to be ill but what i have seen has been very poor.

Used to have to make average about 50-60 calls in the morning to get a GP, record being over 150. Often told no appointments, call tomorrow. 

Maternity wards dilapidated boiling hot, noisy and understaffed and what staff there were were aggressively rude. 

The Wife's elderly dad had a stroke, fell and gashed his head. The ambulance took over 24 hours to arrive. He then got covid twice in hospital and the hospital lost all his belongings when they moved him. 

Kids A&E seems adequate tbf. 

Apparently the ambulance thing isn't unusual. 

I am in favour of the 20mph thing. It irritates all the right people. 

12 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The NHS here is a joke. I've been lucky enough not to be ill but what i have seen has been very poor.

Used to have to make average about 50-60 calls in the morning to get a GP, record being over 150. Often told no appointments, call tomorrow. 

Maternity wards dilapidated boiling hot, noisy and understaffed and what staff there were were aggressively rude. 

The Wife's elderly dad had a stroke, fell and gashed his head. The ambulance took over 24 hours to arrive. He then got covid twice in hospital and the hospital lost all his belongings when they moved him. 

Kids A&E seems adequate tbf. 

Apparently the ambulance thing isn't unusual. 

I am in favour of the 20mph thing. It irritates all the right people. 

They’re in coalition with plaid are they not? 

6 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

They’re in coalition with plaid are they not? 

Co-operation agreement, but not any more. Don't know if that counts as a coalition. I guess it's a kind of de facto one. 

Looking through the Labour manifesto, I see they've quietly dropped their National Policy Forum's pledge on the NHS

"Under Labour, the NHS is not for sale. Labour will always protect our NHS as a publicly funded service, free at the point of use, and will secure healthcare for all."

This pledge has been replaced by "(The NHS)... will always be publicly owned and publicly funded”.

What that doesn’t rule out is shadow health secretary Wes Streeting’s plans to increase private provision of services within the NHS. This can only increase costs for the public because then profit eats away at NHS budgets.

Full story here

15 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Looking through the Labour manifesto, I see they've quietly dropped their National Policy Forum's pledge on the NHS

"Under Labour, the NHS is not for sale. Labour will always protect our NHS as a publicly funded service, free at the point of use, and will secure healthcare for all."

This pledge has been replaced by "(The NHS)... will always be publicly owned and publicly funded”.

What that doesn’t rule out is shadow health secretary Wes Streeting’s plans to increase private provision of services within the NHS. This can only increase costs for the public because then profit eats away at NHS budgets.

Full story here

The extortionately high cost of private provision in public services, with billions being syphoned off into private profit as a result, is one of the main reasons for the U.K. having its ever highest peace time tax burden whilst still experiencing an ongoing diminution of services.

27 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Full story here

Perhaps the 175k in donations from Private Health Care firms to Streeting has something to do with this ...or am I just being cynical ?

Article about Labour's Machiavelli/strategic genius. No indication of any political philosophy other than securing and retaining power through elimination of opposing factions within Labour. He appears to consider Starmer as a President rather than a "first among equals" Minister.

If you can be arsed to read the article, prepare to be depressed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/16/morgan-mcsweeney-labour-election-guru-profile

11 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Article about Labour's Machiavelli/strategic genius. No indication of any political philosophy other than securing and retaining power through elimination of opposing factions within Labour. He appears to consider Starmer as a President rather than a "first among equals" Minister.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/16/morgan-mcsweeney-labour-election-guru-profile

Goebbels would be proud.

32 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Already read it.  Already depressed.

On 14/06/2024 at 18:04, I Clavdivs said:

Perhaps the 175k in donations from Private Health Care firms to Streeting has something to do with this ...or am I just being cynical ?

Sell the jerseys for 175,000, fuckers..

Forgot an 0..

Edited by Bob in Denny

3 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

"In 2006 he became a campaign aide to Steve Reed, who was trying to regain control of the party in Lambeth from the hard left".

Ah, the hard left again. In 2006, the hard centre was overseeing its mass murdering occupation of Iraq. 

Further insight on McSweeney: https://archive.ph/x3MGM

Ah yes. Scotland Matters.

A group that recently (Jan 2024) published an article asking for abolition of Holyrood, the Senedd & the NI assembly, albeit with a pathetic disclaimer at the end.

It's just another opaquely funded group which has previously been pulled up by the Electoral Commission for breaching donation rules

This appears to be what Labour apologists in Scotland are reduced to. Quoting extreme Yoon groups, plus the more right wing views of the Mail/Express/Telegraph

Jedi appears to agree with their viewpoint, Is this now official labour policy too?

I notice Sir Peter Butterworth 'ruled out' rejoining the EU in a recent interview.

All the Labourites I know take the same tone, as if directed to; Brexit done, EU membership history, rejoining not on the table (which of course is if ttrue you want it to be).

I don't think Labour were ever really that bothered about Brexit, and still aren't, even as the damage mounts up.