What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

14 hours ago, Jedi said:

Fair dos then.....just a Yes vote required, and everything else can just sort itself out sometime down the line after that. I think the 'it will all be alright on the night' is boring as well, but its a game of opinions.

Both are boring. Of course, what we all write on this forum doesn't matter at all, but the debate does become pretty inane when you have a group effectively saying "we're doomed" and the other saying "it'll be fine" to everything. Some folk are like that, some folk aren't. There are plenty of posters here who take a much more nuanced, rational and balanced view on these things. It feels like you mostly ignore all that in order to play the victim. It's like the opposite of an echo chamber, you seem acutely sensitive to the kinds of post you don't like and then have this impression that's what everyone is like.

For what it's worth, I do believe you when you say you were an SNP member and voted SNP/Yes. I think your logic of not liking the SNP government and so deciding to join the Labour Party is fairly bizarre but I don't doubt you.

I feel like you genuinely think your perspective is one of unbiased and honest criticism (and maybe it is) but I think the reaction you get is partly down to your posts sounding a bit like a series of tweets from Ruth Davidson or Douglas Ross along the lines of "SNP aren't getting on with the day job, failing on (just lists every devolved issue)'

Genuine question here, do you just not like governing parties? You supported the SNP when they were the outsiders and you could probably project your own values on to them without that having to be compromised by them being in government. The SNP become the government and you start gravitating away from them and end up in a Labour party that haven't been in power in Scotland for 13 years and Westminster for 10. Again, to some extent, they're unsullied by having to actually make any decisions that people don't like or are never judged on results.

Edited by Gordon EF

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2020 at 12:57, Fullerene said:

Every book I have ever read about communist countries has a recurring theme - suspicion and paranoia.
Whatever utopia they are trying to achieve is constantly sabotaged by dark forces working against them.
Not just capitalist countries but enemies within.  Trust nobody.

When people in the Labour Party talk the same way, it makes them sound like communists too.

I am well aware that MSM hates the Labour Party.  They are not hiding in the darkness, they are out in the open and it is a disgrace how much influence they have.
Similarly there were opponents in the same party as Corbyn because FPTP forces them to be.
So yes, there were people who opposed Corbyn but that was known from the start.  It does not mean everyone was against him.  

The Labour Manifesto of 2017 seemed reasonable enough.  If a different leader had offered up the exact same thing, it might have done better.

The main objection to Corbyn was not that the party was too left wing.  It was the clumsiness, dithering and amateurism that caused the problem.
Too many people thought Corbyn was too incompetent to be leader.
In fairness, Johnson is equally incompetent but he is a snake oil merchant and simply better at fooling people.

Medicare would be Communism type post imho

1 hour ago, Arsenal till I die said:

Medicare would be Communism type post imho

I would agree with that.  During the Cold War, any country that wanted more teachers and more nurses was perceived as a communist threat.  In America, some people will call you a communist if you want to improve the life of anyone poor.

At the same time I recognise that virtually every communist country was seen as awful.   A lot of that was to do with suspicion and paranoia that was on the go all the time.

If the Labour Party spends all its time saying "we could great things if only millions of people weren't against us"- well that is what the communists kept saying.  I am simply saying tone down the paranoia even if some of it is valid.

13 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Leonard strikes me as someone who has never seen a game of football in his life.

You go and f**k yourself, I completely agree!

Spoiler

This may or may not have something to do with me being designated a key worker

5 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

lol no she isn't you dipshits

What annoys me about that is they didn't bother to correct/clarify it. Sorry, we meant the first leader of A British union, specifically UNISON, not any fucking union.

On 04/01/2021 at 13:23, Fullerene said:

I would agree with that.  During the Cold War, any country that wanted more teachers and more nurses was perceived as a communist threat.  In America, some people will call you a communist if you want to improve the life of anyone poor.

At the same time I recognise that virtually every communist country was seen as awful.   A lot of that was to do with suspicion and paranoia that was on the go all the time.

If the Labour Party spends all its time saying "we could great things if only millions of people weren't against us"- well that is what the communists kept saying.  I am simply saying tone down the paranoia even if some of it is valid.

Can't argue with that. The problem is how factional it all is. My opinion is that there are very good people, and very bad people, on all sides of the party. Some want the party to do well whoever's in charge, and some want to wreck the party from within, and will join whatever faction they feel will best help them achieve that. This is where Corbyn failed - he should have been the one to sort the house out. Labour's Bruce Rioche if you will, the one who would set the party on its way to winning under a subsequent leader. Instead he turned a blind eye and focussed on well, Corbynism. Every leader thinks they're the messiah who the party will get back in under. 

This is deeply irrelevant but one time when I was younger I was a winner in some parliament competition that my maw made me enter coz my sister was a winner in the year before and  I only did it based on the premise I would get the latest Rangers top (I was 11-15) 

We went to number 10 and met the Scottish speaker dude and some MPs, everyone was gassed for David Miliband funnily enough.. I tripped up when getting the commons tour because I was distracted by worms on my phone and I eventually met Tony Blair. I got the chance to ask him a question, I was going to ask what his favourite football team was but the other winners had questions before me and asked mad political shit to do with the good Friday agreement and similarly lofty topics and I shat out of it.

If I ever learn how to post photos on here I will share a fat 11-15 year old Stormzy meeting the big Blair and looking very awkward. 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

This is deeply irrelevant but one time when I was younger I was a winner in some parliament competition that my maw made me enter coz my sister was a winner in the year before and  I only did it based on the premise I would get the latest Rangers top (I was 11-15) 

We went to number 10 and met the Scottish speaker dude and some MPs, everyone was gassed for David Miliband funnily enough.. I tripped up when getting the commons tour because I was distracted by worms on my phone and I eventually met Tony Blair. I got the chance to ask him a question, I was going to ask what his favourite football team was but the other winners had questions before me and asked mad political shit to do with the good Friday agreement and similarly lofty topics and I shat out of it.

If I ever learn how to post photos on here I will share a fat 11-15 year old Stormzy meeting the big Blair and looking very awkward. 

Some people will never forgive him for being a Newcastle United fan.