What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

37 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Never mind spoiled votes has there ever been a soiled vote?

I once declared my intention to wipe my arse with a BNP flyer that came thru the door - they stood some rodent in my constituency in 2010ish - but the wife binned it before I got the chance. 

4 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

They both count and analyse spoilt votes, to make sure that they are indeed invalid. (This happens at all levels from Parish Council to General Elections). 

This is Beaconsfield’s by-election:

IMG_0349.png

Thanks for the example.  I am not a Beaconsfield expert.  54 people spoilt their ballot because they were angry with Candidate A, Candidate B, the Council, Western Democracy, Taylor Swift,  the Corealis Effect, Continental Drift, Climate Change or simply because they are stupid.

Will any candidate mend their ways as a result of those 54 votes?

I suspect not.

On 28/10/2023 at 22:47, Fullerene said:

Thanks for the example.  I am not a Beaconsfield expert.  54 people spoilt their ballot because they were angry with Candidate A, Candidate B, the Council, Western Democracy, Taylor Swift,  the Corealis Effect, Continental Drift, Climate Change or simply because they are stupid.

Will any candidate mend their ways as a result of those 54 votes?

I suspect not.

I'm not claiming it provides a definitive or even coherent argument, all I'm arguing is that spoiling your ballot, is a more positive form of action, than simply not bothering to turn up.  If (an immaterial) 54 spoilt papers turned into a more material, 500 or 5,000 spoilt papers, then it might prompt more questions than if those same 500/5,000 voters stayed at home. 

My example of Beaconsfield wasn't to demonstrate the power of spoiling ballots, but to counter the suggestion that they (spoiled ballots) were simply put to the side and ingnored.  I was merely pointing out, that throughout our election cycles (right down to local and parish elections,) spoilt ballots are recorded and not simply ignored/put in the bin. 

Yours

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

Kier Starmer giving a speech just now about Israel -palestine. Calling for unity, I just don't believe anything he says. Gives me used car salesman vibes.

Reminded me a bit of when Ali G was at the UN meeting 'Why can't we all just get along ?' 

The guy is a charlatan.

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

Kier Starmer giving a speech just now about Israel -palestine. Calling for unity, I just don't believe anything he says. Gives me used car salesman vibes.

Securing a long term peace in the middle east is a lot like making love to a women

image.thumb.png.212b2a1428ad6bb15467c6cc86a5c368.png

On 28/10/2023 at 20:15, Mark Connolly said:

Does 55% shitting it in the 2014 referendum count?

I was thinking other day about what it would have been like if we had voted yes

A 10 year f**k fest I think but now coming out of the worst and thinking thank god we did that I reckon

I think if Scotland had voted Yes Cameron would never have dared to allow a Brexit referendum; the moonhowling right-wingers in his party would demand we didn't get a vote as we'd be leaving, and he might, even he might, have spotted the danger of a Leave vote, without the Scottish pro-EU bloc.

So might have been better for everyone. Just saying.

13 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

I think if Scotland had voted Yes Cameron would never have dared to allow a Brexit referendum; the moonhowling right-wingers in his party would demand we didn't get a vote as we'd be leaving, and he might, even he might, have spotted the danger of a Leave vote, without the Scottish pro-EU bloc.

So might have been better for everyone. Just saying.

You are making the assumption that having lost in 2014, Cameron would not have resigned.

Obviously we will never know.