I'll Have What ......

beefybake

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Bollocks. Norway is colder, darker and as wet as Scotland.
climate_map_of_norway.jpg

@throbber 's going to have to prove that all the good Icelandic players grew up on the North coast for his theory to stand up.

[mention=40259]throbber[/mention] 's going to have to prove that all the good Icelandic players grew up on the North coast for his theory to stand up.

I said the weather doesn’t help not that it was the main factor in us being pish.

On 10/07/2018 at 22:59, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

School classes where children are encouraged not to achieve in case it upsets the slower ones, and sports where there are no winners , only participants, encourages a mind set of ‘ that’ll do’.  Our historical risk taking, entrepreneurial spirit has been managed out of us over the past 40 years of striving for egalitarianism.

Aim for the best at all times and we may recover!

On 10/07/2018 at 23:58, gruppenfuhrer said:

local under 9 team , managers says its just  fun, a winning mentality as to be drummed into them soon as poss, thats why the team get beat 11-1,  13-1 every other week

On 11/07/2018 at 04:41, pleslie99 said:

Maybe if we allowed our young kids to experience winning from a young age and not just time on the park. Telling young kids that the score doesn't matter breeds a losing mentality. I'm all for getting kids involved but if they're shite they're shite, stop holding the good kids back.

On 11/07/2018 at 18:19, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Lots. Every child gets a medal is an example. Children are also limited by a system which does not focus on excellence but has teachers spend most of their time on those who need attention. Ignore it if you like but we will continue to slide.

The SFA aren't culpable for Scotland being huge underachievers. It's coaches, dads and kids with attitudes like these. The SFA have been working against this utter bollocks since the 1980s but when the majority involved in youth football mock precisely the things that successful countries are doing, it's extremely difficult to change anything.

On 10/07/2018 at 23:58, gruppenfuhrer said:

local under 9 team , managers says its just  fun, a winning mentality as to be drummed into them soon as poss, thats why the team get beat 11-1,  13-1 every other week

Winning mentality in a team of 8 year olds...

Are you sure you're not being satirical? What next? Teaching toddlers to hold their position in a flat back four? Speaking to foetuses about getting an early reducer on their big man?

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Remember when Wagon Wheels were the size of a satellite dish and you could leave your doors wide open all day and night without fear?

Now look.

I bought some wagon wheels the other day and they were surprisingly large.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I bought some wagon wheels the other day and they were surprisingly large.

Yes but you purchased actual wheels for an actual wagon, not the mallow based chocolate treat.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Winning mentality in a team of 8 year olds...

Are you sure you're not being satirical? What next? Teaching toddlers to hold their position in a flat back four? Speaking to foetuses about getting an early reducer on their big man?

What age would you suggest is appropriate to begin selection based on ability, or are you saying you do not believe in it at all?

8 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Remember when Wagon Wheels were the size of a satellite dish and you could leave your doors wide open all day and night without fear?

Now look.

I have a vague memory that one of their adverts had a tagline which was rather amusing 'They're so big you have to grin to get them in'

Lots. Every child gets a medal is an example. Children are also limited by a system which does not focus on excellence but has teachers spend most of their time on those who need attention. Ignore it if you like but we will continue to slide.

This is quite simply bollocks.

Kids (and probably boys especially) are naturally competitive anyway.

What they should be taught is not that winning their under 10 game on a Saturday is the be all and end all.

The aim of the game at that age is to enjoy it, to express themselves and also make sure they are trying to better themselves however small in each game. Teaching them that training during the week on a cold night is just as if not more important than the game on a Saturday at that age. That ‘success’ is not winning your under 10 game on a Saturday but that improving week on week, managing the little things like diet and how you train with a view to the long term is the ultimate goal.

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is quite simply bollocks.

Kids (and probably boys especially) are naturally competitive anyway.

What they should be taught is not that winning their under 10 game on a Saturday is the be all and end all.

The aim of the game at that age is to enjoy it, to express themselves and also make sure they are trying to better themselves however small in each game. Teaching them that training during the week on a cold night is just as if not more important than the game on a Saturday at that age. That ‘success’ is not winning your under 10 game on a Saturday but that improving week on week, managing the little things like diet and how you train with a view to the long term is the ultimate goal.

You mentioned winning, i spoke about excellence and time with teachers (coaches). Read things properly before using language like bollocks, it just makes you look silly and reactive

You mentioned winning, i spoke about excellence and time with teachers (coaches). Read things properly before using language like bollocks, it just makes you look silly and reactive

Fair enough. Happy to admit when I’ve misquoted you. I’ll happily apologise.

I don’t think the subsequent points I’ve made are wrong though and I don’t think you do either.

I just happen to feel strongly through experience that there are parents etc out there who bang on about ‘winning mentality’ amongst young kids and disgrace themselves on the touch line verbally abusing referees and sometimes their own kids of they don’t live up to their vicarious fantasy.

Dont know if it's still the same but when i was in primary they had us playing on full size pitches  which ended up just the bigger kids booting the ball up the park and running after the ball, resulting anyone hardly getting a touch of the ball.

Saying all  that I would be banning outdoor football for primary age level kids and just have them playing futsal indoors all year round.

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

What age would you suggest is appropriate to begin selection based on ability, or are you saying you do not believe in it at all?

Don't ask me, ask folk in the countries that have clearly worked this stuff out.

44 minutes ago, bookerman said:

Dont know if it's still the same but when i was in primary they had us playing on full size pitches  which ended up just the bigger kids booting the ball up the park and running after the ball, resulting anyone hardly getting a touch of the ball.

Saying all  that I would be banning outdoor football for primary age level kids and just have them playing futsal indoors all year round.

The two primary schools near me have big pitches with full-size markings and, worst of all, full size goals, and play competitive 11-a-side football with a size 5 ball every weekend. They proudly tweet about their wins.

It's stone age stuff.

Archived