Stranraer FC v Raith Rovers FC

Right, what are you actually expecting in the Scottish League One? Players coming back from the World Cup to play for Stranraer and Raith Rovers? Football being played on immaculate surfaces? Tiki-Taka, samba total football on display?

Wake up! You support Raith Rovers!! If you want to watch top class football then switch on BT sport or Sky and moan about that.

To deal with your questions and comments, in order:

I am expecting bad football. I just hadn’t realised quite how bad until now. The standard between top of League 1 and top of the Championship is noticeable.

No, I am not expecting players coming back from the World Cup.

Yes, I expect football being played on immaculate surfaces at this time of year, whether artificial or grass.

No, I don’t think I want those, although I have no idea what samba football is. Is that dancing?

You are verging on King Kebab with the exclamation marks. One, then two. Is there an exclamation mark scale? King Kebab prefers three exclamation marks at all times so is possibly highly excitable.

I am too mean to pay for Sky or BT Sport and I don’t have the time or attention span to watch 90 minutes of live football anymore. I prefer MOTD and other highlights packages, where they strip out the bad bits.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every group of supporters ask and expect better. But Stranraer vs Raith was never going to be a classic.

Some Raith 'fans' seem to have these massive expectations and visions of grandeur. There's generations of supporters who can remember being bottom of the lowest league in Scotland and then there's guys who started watching us in the high end of first division, SPL and European campaigns. But for the best part of the last 20 years we've been a lower end Championship/League One side with limited financial resources and a dwindling fan base.

Taking the circumstances into consideration regarding the players out injured, the fact that this was the teams 3rd big away trip in succession and the fact that these players are still gelling, what were people expecting yesterday's game to be like? I thought we'd have won but I'm not distraught at the draw or the performance.

Right, what are you actually expecting in the Scottish League One? Players coming back from the World Cup to play for Stranraer and Raith Rovers? Football being played on immaculate surfaces? Tiki-Taka, samba total football on display?

Wake up! You support Raith Rovers!! If you want to watch top class football then switch on BT sport or Sky and moan about that.

It’s all relevant the players might not be coming back from the WC but the other teams players aren’t either, seen some cracking football played at this level and the league below over the years.

I expect players who class football as their main profession to get the basics of the game right. 

The argument of "what do you expect at this level" is absolutely pathetic and does not in any way excuse a full time professional football team being dreadful to watch. 

The standard yesterday was diabolical. The majority of the game must have been absolute torture to watch if those were the highlights.

If that’s the best we can do with full-time players we’d be as well going part-time. The football would still be terrible to watch but we’d maybe save a few quid.

To think it was only two years ago when we had a great team, with the likes of Ryan Hardie and Aidan Connolly. Spring 2016 seems a long time ago when you look at the current Raith Rovers.

Ah, the old, “the team is still gelling” excuse.

Almost every single team in the lower leagues of Scottish football have a complete overhaul of their squad each summer, but curiously, only the ones that start the season poorly need time to gel.

Things looked to be on the up when McKinnon was here: good football, a manager who could change things when required and positivity from the supporters. 

Then we employ a proven failure, replace him with a fucking parody and get relegated by a Brechin side who haven't won a league game since. 

Now we have Barry Smith. 

I've been more inspired watching my bawless cat trying to ride my wee girl's Lotso. Somehow we ended up the width of a post away from the title after the genius gameplan of firing high balls at Liam Buchanan. Evidence of how shite this league is. 

Hang in there folks. It has to get better. 

13 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

As I said previously that was a massive improvement on the performance I witnessed at the same ground in January.

what was noticeable was the dramatic reduction in aimless punts from our central defenders.

The aimless punts will be back when Davidson's suspension is up. Smith doesn't have the balls to drop him.

17 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

There were two directors in attendance today.

I know Andy Mill was there along with his wife, but who was the other director or has Mrs Mill been added to the board too?

4 hours ago, SuperHans said:

Every group of supporters ask and expect better. But Stranraer vs Raith was never going to be a classic.

Some Raith 'fans' seem to have these massive expectations and visions of grandeur. There's generations of supporters who can remember being bottom of the lowest league in Scotland and then there's guys who started watching us in the high end of first division, SPL and European campaigns. But for the best part of the last 20 years we've been a lower end Championship/League One side with limited financial resources and a dwindling fan base.

Taking the circumstances into consideration regarding the players out injured, the fact that this was the teams 3rd big away trip in succession and the fact that these players are still gelling, what were people expecting yesterday's game to be like? I thought we'd have won but I'm not distraught at the draw or the performance.

Couldn't help but notice this guy has 140 likes from 439 posts!! His OTHER aliases must be working overtime given the amount of stick he usually gets

15 hours ago, grumswall said:
17 hours ago, Wardy said:
It’s fine there will be 3000 there next week to unfurl the fla...the new pitch.

The new pitch has been externally funded. The money wouldnt have gone into the squad regardless. Smith wasted our budget last season (Smith etc) as he has done this season, so has no one else to blame than himself when he's hopefully punted! Sim backed the club to his own financial detriment last season. In my 20+ years supporting the club he's the only financially prudent owner we've had who has been active in trying to better our position.

So by that definition are you suggesting Turnbull Hutton wasn’t “financially prudent”?

Sim & Sinton May be “financially prudent” but they are rapidly exposing themselves to be utter footballing incompetents.

Investing in installing a £700,000 Super surface when the team is languishing in the 3rd tier (and getting worse by the month) doesn’t look exactly clever to me.

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

So by that definition are you suggesting Turnbull Hutton wasn’t “financially prudent”?

Sim & Sinton May be “financially prudent” but they are rapidly exposing themselves to be utter footballing incompetents.

Investing in installing a £700,000 Super surface when the team is languishing in the 3rd tier (and getting worse by the month) doesn’t look exactly clever to me.

If the stadium becomes used 7 day’s per week and brings in revenue it will be worth it (assuming there is a cash split between RRFC & SPP)

It’s a punt, but would rather we tried and maximised revenue from the limited resources we have, than spend money on daft things like opening the railway stand or bringing safe standing which won’t necessarily increase revenue.

4 hours ago, SuperHans said:

I thought the mighty Stranraer’s World Cup players showed up rather well , 

its like john cleeese’s rant about what to expect out of a Torquay hotel window, 

Am I the only one who thinks our goal was offside? Stranraer players didn’t appeal for it and I haven’t seen it mentioned on here yet but it looks pretty blatant to me. When Matthews wins the ball from Hamill, Buchanan is already in the box ahead of the play, we’ll take it of course because we were never scoring otherwise.

Ah, the old, “the team is still gelling” excuse.

Almost every single team in the lower leagues of Scottish football have a complete overhaul of their squad each summer, but curiously, only the ones that start the season poorly need time to gel.

I'd agree with you in normal circumstances but I think we can all agree that the start we've had this time round regarding players injuries, heavily relying on inexperienced youth players, not having played a home game, much smaller squad who's formations, players and systems are all changing on a weekly basis are not normal circumstances.

Yesterday we had a 19 year old keeper playing his debut having only just met the team during last week. The defence was slightly makeshift with an 18 year who has a handful of first team games under his belt. I'd say that this 'excuse' can be justifiable for yesterday's result and performance.

Archived