Rovers v East Fife - Baz v Daz

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few nice spells of passing play in first half, but pretty dull woeful football later in the first half and during the second half.

East Fife looked by far the better team, as the game went on. They put us under loads of pressure and had good chances. If I was an EF fan, I'd feel gutted to only come away with a point.

I don't recall us troubling East Fife's keeper much, other than the two penalties. A couple of good moves, in the first half, that could have lead to more shots / chances that were ultimately fluffed by Buchanan. Milne was clearly the only player on the bench who was ever realistically going to come on - so our options to make any changes to the game were pretty limited.

Absolutely horrendous second half, devoid of any sort of creativity. Nisbit looked good, has good awareness and is actually pretty good at holding the ball up with his back to goal, but he was the only one who looked like he could do some damage. That East Fife side is worse than the one we demolished 5-0 this time last year, and they should’ve taken all three points with the amount of chances they had. Take from that what you will.

A routine win over Stenny had me hopeful that we aren’t actually that bad. We are.

Decent first half, abysmal second. Buchanan is stinking but taking him off and playing Lewis Milne up front totally killed us in the final third.

Unless Duggan turns out to be fucking brilliant we’re in trouble I think.

East fife were the better team from the word go. We had spells in the first half where we played some decent football but that amounted to pretty much all we had in the locker today. We are so toothless up front in open play it's ridiculous.

I quite rate Nisbet but he's effectively playing on his own with buchanan who seems to have lost a yard of what little pace he had.

Wright did well again today. Was unlucky with the penalty and had a bad deflection for the second or it looked like it was comfortable for him. Made a few decent saves. Can't think of a single save long had to make.

Who's the full time team?

Your in trouble mate if you think Duggan will transform that team, you were utter pish today and unless you improve out of sight you have absolutely no chsnce of wining the league, another season at least in the seaside league i think

Today was an interesting conundrum. Within my lifetime, the certainties have been death, taxes and East Fife not beating Rovers. However, East Fife have signed Scott Agnew who always scores against us. 

We were shockingly bad in the second half, we got completely bodied, but somehow walked out with a draw. It really should've been today that it ended, but somehow here we are. 

In the first half I felt we played some decent stuff, and that the movement of Flanagan and Nisbet was causing problems for the East Fife back line.  Once Agnew got his first, it was like a plug was pulled on any creativity. Despite us having some decent link up, our fans started going mental about getting the ball up. 

The lad in goals Wright looks like he'll be a solid signing. He really did keep us in the game with some excellent saves.  Aside from that, I felt Nat Wedderburn was one of the few outfield players who had a solid performance for us. I was quite critical of us signing him, but he always showed for the ball today, and looked a bit more comfortable than in the game against Stenny. He was happy to drop back and get the ball from defence. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Absolutely horrendous second half, devoid of any sort of creativity. Nisbit looked good, has good awareness and is actually pretty good at holding the ball up with his back to goal, but he was the only one who looked like he could do some damage. That East Fife side is worse than the one we demolished 5-0 this time last year, and they should’ve taken all three points with the amount of chances they had. Take from that what you will.

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

A routine win over Stenny had me hopeful that we aren’t actually that bad. We are.

Decent first half, abysmal second. Buchanan is stinking but taking him off and playing Lewis Milne up front totally killed us in the final third.

Unless Duggan turns out to be fucking brilliant we’re in trouble I think.

Agree with both of you. Buchanan doesn't fit into the team, much like Spence didn't last season. He sits far too deep. Milne isn't a forward by any stretch of the imagination which doesn't help.  I can't see Duggan having that much of an influence. We seem to have pinned quite a lot of hope on Vaughan, only for him to get injured and not have a preseason. 

We're definitely short of a player or two for the squad. Watching Ross Matthews on the wing is utterly depressing. He's a ball winning midfielder where it's like there's a running joke we'll play him on the wing. 

Bit ridiculous that we scored more penalties today than all of last season, and that we've had more penalties in the last fortnight than compared to our entire time under Locke, Hughes and Smith's first season.  

Nisbet looked brilliant yet again.

Wedderburn was solid in the middle and pretty much had to try and control the midfield by himself as Gillespie just didn’t turn up.

Young McKay was brilliant again though. He really has came on leaps and bounds since the start of last season.

Have to agree with Pat1958, if you are going to rely on Duggan getting on the end of 50yrd punts down the channels, you are in trouble. I have to look at the game as today as points dropped. Doubt if we'll ever see a poorer Rovers team, and we should have been good enough to bear then. But , that's a win and draw, away from home in 2 Fife derby games in a 5 days. Should be looking at this as progress.

As expected the Rover’s “we were shite and you still couldn’t beat us” fans have got in early and they are the Rovers fans who will be happiest tonight. Not only will you have another three chances to say it this season but probably another four next season. Just think. A season after that and you could still be playing in the diddy leagues and reminding everyone how shite you are.

Nisbet looked brilliant yet again.

Wedderburn was solid in the middle and pretty much had to try and control the midfield by himself as Gillespie just didn’t turn up.

Young McKay was brilliant again though. He really has came on leaps and bounds since the start of last season.
Seen a few people slating Nat on fb and heard a few shouts of how he was unfit today which is just nonsense. Was one of the few players to get pass marks today. Keeps it simple and let's the supposedly more creative players do their thing.

Gillespie is an interesting one for me. Why in the space of a year has he had to drop down two leagues? He looks in flashes like he has the ability but has been too wasteful. I do think he's the replacement we needed for callachan last season though and think if he can be more consistent he is one of the best cms in the league.

On Nisbet, seen him having to have a good stretch in the second half at one stage. If he gets injured before Vaughan is back we have got no chance.

Archived