Club vs International Football

Honest_Man#1

Club vs International Football  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Possibly been done before, but was having this conversation with someone from down south who said they couldn’t care less about the English national team, and would rather see their club win a run-of-the-mill league game than see England win the World Cup. 

I love club football, but I think given the choice I’d rather see Scotland win the World Cup. Winning the Scottish would be unbelievable for you and the set of fans your club has, but I can’t imagine the scenes and party atmosphere you’d have throughout the country if a WC win happened. I actually think it would make a huge difference to the country overall, almost reinvigorating the people a bit and bringing them together.

What would you rather see?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

In all honesty if I was being asked the question it would be Boro and the FA Cup, but my answer would be the same. 

Come on now a couple of games a season over Ayr every week ? 

World Cup all the way over any club honours. 

16 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Come on now a couple of games a season over Ayr every week ? 

World Cup all the way over any club honours. 

I probably get to about 10-12 Ayr games a season, when Boro are not playing or I can’t get a ticket. Definitely a Boro fan over an Ayr fan I’m afraid.

"Would you rather your club won the Scottish Cup or Scotland won the World Cup?"

The answer is surely influenced by the odds of either scenario happening. Take a club, for example Aberdeen, who have won the Scottish Cup several times and can reasonably look forward to winning it again at some time in the future. I'd expect most supporters to opt for the World Cup option. On the other hand, if you support any of the teams in this past weekends Scottish Cup 1st Round draw then winning the Scottish Cup might be more of a dream scenario. I'd still take the World Cup myself.

1 minute ago, Northboy said:

"Would you rather your club won the Scottish Cup or Scotland won the World Cup?"

The answer is surely influenced by the odds of either scenario happening. Take a club, for example Aberdeen, who have won the Scottish Cup several times and can reasonably look forward to winning it again at some time in the future. I'd expect most supporters to opt for the World Cup option. On the other hand, if you support any of the teams in this past weekends Scottish Cup 1st Round draw then winning the Scottish Cup might be more of a dream scenario. I'd still take the World Cup myself.

Yeah 100%. I’m obviously coming at the question as someone who follows a club unlikely to ever win their national cup. I suppose for a club like Aberdeen, then maybe it would be would you rather they won the Premiership or Scotland won the WC?

Club absolutely every time. International sport has been a farce for years now and there's no way I'd support an SFA team of any kind.

ETA - forgot to vote before checking the situation so you can add one more onto the club total. :oops

39 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Club absolutely every time. International sport has been a farce for years now and there's no way I'd support an SFA team of any kind.

ETA - forgot to vote before checking the situation so you can add one more onto the club total. :oops

I voted club, but I still actively support the national team. I find it completely bizarre that somebody would choose not to support the national team because of the national football association. Surely you are able to differentiate between the 11 on the field and the jumped up, incompetent weirdos wearing suits in the stand? 

10 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I voted club, but I still actively support the national team. I find it completely bizarre that somebody would choose not to support the national team because of the national football association. Surely you are able to differentiate between the 11 on the field and the jumped up, incompetent weirdos wearing suits in the stand? 

You mean they're not the same people? Wow, that's completely bazaar. Didn't know that.

34 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Your post indicates an apparent lack to distinguish between the two.

I really can't believe anyone could take it as referring to a team of administrators. However I notice the badge on the Scotland strip now says Scotland instead of  Scottish Football Association so maybe others were getting mixed up too.

Anyway, moving on...

The problem with Scotland winning the World Cup would be the Tartan Army and the horrendous 'Scottish patter' that would follow. 

Other than that, it'd be pretty fun, I suppose. 

The problem with Accies winning the Scottish Cup is that I'll probably die in the subsequent European tie. 

Other than that, it'd be pretty fun, I suppose. 

5 hours ago, David W said:

I'd rather see Clyde win a friendly than see  Scotland win the World Cup. 

This is the type of thing that I really don’t understand. Firstly because I wouldn’t give the slightest shit if my team lost a friendly 5-0, but also because I don’t get how you could actively dislike your country (assuming you are Scottish?) to the point of basically saying you wouldn’t want them to win the WC.

I have to admit though, that if Scotland won the WC, having to share the celebrations with jumped up bams and the TA would taint it a bit.

People that say club should be euthanised as they are all that is wrong with human society.
And the tartan army are as good as fans get, it's a good rule of thumb anybody who doesn't like them is an utter fanny, i would seriously doubt there is even one exception to that.
I usually strongly disagree with you pep, but on this occasion I think you're spot on.

Archived