Andy Robertson: Scotland Captain

accies1874

8 hours ago, NickMcG said:

Obviously, I'll support him as he plays for Scotland but I find Robertson to be a rather sneaky player. I've heard him being compared to Souness by some Liverpool fans which I find quite bizarre. He's no hardman, unlike, Souness.  

I know it's what it takes to win sometimes but I don't really like that side of the game.  I wouldn't take the captaincy off him but I think there are at least three or four better candidates.

Souness wasn't hard. He was a stinking, sneaky coward.

33 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Agree. He needs to cut out the shite. 

In the Scotland v. Spain match his pointless antics got Spain going and lead to them being on top for 10/15 minutes.

On another day the ref or VAR may have looked at the footage and sent him off.

It was completely unnecessary by Robbo. He knew what he was doing and it could have cost us as UEFA officials tend to favour the big nations.

Cut out the shithousery Robbo please. 

ETA Pedro is still a Cnut though. 😂 boo!

Edited by Molotov

Just now, NickMcG said:

When he pushed Messi in the back of the head, it was just embarrassing. Especially as Messi then did it to him and he tried to grass him up to the ref.  He's a very unlikable player in my opinion.

Agreed. He needs to cut out the shithousing. 

Just now, NickMcG said:

What examples do we have of him being a great captain? I can understand why he was given it at the time; we had a poor team and he was one of few playing at the top level.  He strikes me as rather petulant to be honest.  I wouldn't be in favour of changing now but Tierney would be better in my opinion.  

Numerous - at different stages of games you can see him rallying the team, trying to calm things down or having quiet words with individual young players. He also speaks very well before and after games. 

1 minute ago, NickMcG said:

What examples do we have of him being a great captain? I can understand why he was given it at the time; we had a poor team and he was one of few playing at the top level.  He strikes me as rather petulant to be honest.  I wouldn't be in favour of changing now but Tierney would be better in my opinion.  

I don’t believe SSC will remove the captaincy as it would undermine Robbo’s position in the squad.

I also think the other players are happy with him being captain as they don’t need all the hassle of extra media duties.

Robbo is a popular captain. 

6 hours ago, NickMcG said:

5 hours ago, NickMcG said:

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Agree. He needs to cut out the shite. 

In the Scotland v. Spain match his pointless antics got Spain going and lead to them being on top for 10/15 minutes.

Why did he do it ?

The Spaniard did not seem to do anything wrong

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Numerous - at different stages of games you can see him rallying the team, trying to calm things down or having quiet words with individual young players. He also speaks very well before and after games. 

In the extra time against Serbia he put in a really good last ditch tackle

Setting an example 

23 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

And those very same players see him almost get a red for a needless elbow and grab a linesman"s arm and end up getting (deservedly in my opinion) an elbow in the face. He acts the hardman too often for my liking and, let's face it, noone would ever confuse Andy Robertson for someone who's hard.

I know he speaks well and he's obviously pretty bright. I wouldn't take it off him but, if he hadn't been captain and the question arose now, would he be the natural choice?

You are absolutely at it - player doesn’t get red card for an offence that wasn’t a red card shocker. 

He lightly touched a the arm of a linesman and was elbowed in the face - you can justifiably argue all you want about players giving more space to officials but just about every single player does it. It also doesn’t mean you deserve to be assaulted, however lightly it was, it obviously isn’t acceptable. 

He is in the leadership group of a team, who until this season, were competing for league titles and champions leagues so yeah I would say he is a natural choice…

8 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

I've seen players get sent off for less and he should know that Spanish players have a tendency to make the most of everything.  It was a lack of judgment and could have cost us the game. And the video doesn't show if he 'lightly' touched his arm or not. In any case, you can't come up from out of an official's view and grab his arm. No matter how lightly.

You're confusing being a good player and a good captain.

Yup, there’s an angle which shows he lightly touched his arm, it really isn’t a big deal - whether he said something is a different matter. 

You aren’t in the leadership group for being a good player, it is for being one of the leaders within the team. 

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

You are absolutely at it - player doesn’t get red card for an offence that wasn’t a red card shocker. 

He lightly touched a the arm of a linesman and was elbowed in the face - you can justifiably argue all you want about players giving more space to officials but just about every single player does it. It also doesn’t mean you deserve to be assaulted, however lightly it was, it obviously isn’t acceptable. 

He is in the leadership group of a team, who until this season, were competing for league titles and champions leagues so yeah I would say he is a natural choice…

Away and shite with this patter. 

The gentrification of society is now complete with a wee elbow to the face (in the act of shrugging someone off....easy Kenneth) counting as assault. Dearie fucking me.

Football coverage is now wall to wall drama, and I don't mean drama in the positive sense. Things that wouldn't even have been noticed 20 years ago are now under the microscope without any sense of proportion or common sense prevailing. Back then a player would have had a wee laugh with the official about it and then played on. I love Robbo, but his reaction to the assistant's reaction to him grabbing said assistant's arm is pathetic. 

27 minutes ago, velo army said:

Away and shite with this patter. 

The gentrification of society is now complete with a wee elbow to the face (in the act of shrugging someone off....easy Kenneth) counting as assault. Dearie fucking me.

Football coverage is now wall to wall drama, and I don't mean drama in the positive sense. Things that wouldn't even have been noticed 20 years ago are now under the microscope without any sense of proportion or common sense prevailing. Back then a player would have had a wee laugh with the official about it and then played on. I love Robbo, but his reaction to the assistant's reaction to him grabbing said assistant's arm is pathetic. 

I don’t remotely care what the linesman did, and think he should probably sit out a match or two and then be allowed to get on with it. I exaggerated, to go along with the exaggeration of Robertson “grabbing” the linesman. 

Technically, it would be deemed assault, despite the minor nature of it. The close up shows it wasn’t just shrugging him off tbh. Again - I think it should just be forgotten about by both parties, and would rather Robertson just came out and said he isn’t bothered. 

Baffles me that Robertson receives the criticism that he does, particularly from people in Scotland.

The guy is an inspiration. After being released by Celtic, he built his way back up from amateur Queen’s Park to winning the Champions League in a few seasons. He has the mix of determination and ability which should be the blueprint for all Scottish players and teams. Seems like a decent guy off the pitch too. He does a lot of charity and provides free football to kids in the most deprived areas of Scotland. 

I’m a huge fan of Tierney but he doesn’t strike me as a leader in the way Robertson does, perhaps as he’s not nearly as vocal. You can’t give the captaincy to a guy who misses around half your games either.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Baffles me that Robertson receives the criticism that he does, particularly from people in Scotland.

The guy is an inspiration. After being released by Celtic, he built his way back up from amateur Queen’s Park to winning the Champions League in a few seasons. He has the mix of determination and ability which should be the blueprint for all Scottish players and teams. Seems like a decent guy off the pitch too. He does a lot of charity and provides free football to kids in the most deprived areas of Scotland. 

I’m a huge fan of Tierney but he doesn’t strike me as a leader in the way Robertson does, perhaps as he’s not nearly as vocal. You can’t give the captaincy to a guy who misses around half your games either.

Aye he's a charismatic leader and a consistently fantastic performer for us. He's of his generation in that he hasn't really inherited the Scottish cringe. He plays with an arrogance that will no doubt infuriate opponents, but you imagine that his teammates love it.

His shitehawk antics in the torporific sterility of the EPL are to be celebrated.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure most have seen this story/gossip, not sure how good a move it would be for him in theory but would be quite interesting to see how he would get on in Spain.

Real Madrid are open to moving on left-back Ferland Mendy this summer, and Los Blancos will likely look to replace him. They could look to the Premier League to do so. According to the Daily Mail (via Sport), Real Madrid are looking at a €40m move for Liverpool defender Andy Robertson. Liverpool look set to continue renewing their squad, and at 29, they are approaching their final opportunity to be able to be able to make a significant sale.

The reports says that Alphonso Davies is their number one target, but they are unable to sign him, and as a result will target Robertson, who wants Champions League football. It seems a move, certainly if the quoted figure is correct, that would not be coherent with their recent transfer strategy. In recent years, veterans have only be signed if at a low price or on a free. Meanwhile any significant outlay has been dedicated to players that are younger and have resale value.

Football Espana

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/05/24/real-madrid-linked-with-e40m-move-for-liverpool-defender

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/real-madrid/madrid-piensa-robertson-relevo-mendy-87805698 (Original Source)

21 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'm sure most have seen this story/gossip, not sure how good a move it would be for him in theory but would be quite interesting to see how he would get on in Spain.

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/05/24/real-madrid-linked-with-e40m-move-for-liverpool-defender

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/real-madrid/madrid-piensa-robertson-relevo-mendy-87805698 (Original Source)

Would love to see him go to Real

• 3 months later...
On 10/04/2023 at 18:40, No_Problemo said:

When the rest of the team were celebrating BDD's screamer against Norway , AR ( not boardwalk empire ) was conversing with SSC

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, microdave said:

George Young holds the record for captaining Scotland the most times having done so on 48 occasions. Robbo is currently on 45. I'd love him to miss one of the friendlies so he can break the record against Germany.

John McGinn said there would probably only be three friendlies after the Norway game so that might happen, but have to wait and see on that.

The main thing is we're going to Germany. D'you know what? we've got four games now, well three probably to prepare until then.

John McGinn

https://youtu.be/_cwejucon9c?si=OUJodWSRcwjzwQsF&t=21

Sort of similar is that if we do manage to escape out of our group a whole bunch of our players [Robertson, Adams, Armstrong, Dykes, Hanley, McGinn, McGregor, McTominay and believe it or not Kevin Nisbet :lol:] could set a new record for appearances at a European Championships with Goram, McAllister and McCall currently on 6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_at_the_UEFA_European_Championship

Edited by 2426255