Meal Deals

I went to M&S yesterday for a treat, got the £10 dinner deal with my other half and we thought while we were there we get lunch for tomorrow.

I grabbed myself a couple of the wee salads (2 for £3.50) and a wee reduced wrap with a sell by date of yesterday for lunch, cost £4.50 all in all, was class.

However (the point of the post) she grabbed a sandwich, smoothie and one of the wee fruit snacks thinking it was a meal deal and it turned out they didn’t have a meal deal at all and it cost about nine fucking quid, £2.75 for a tiny wee tub of about 4 strawberries and 3 blackberries, cost fucking less for our dinner last night.

Needless to say I’m still fuming about it.

4 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

To back up NTPs point, I loved a meal deal before I lived on the continent. Since coming back I would only ever get one when I'm stuck for anything else. The "value" hides the fact they just aren't very good

Mate it’s a sandwich, a pack of crisps and a drink from a large chain of supermarkets for £3. Wtf are you expecting 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

Just now, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Mate it’s a sandwich, a pack of crisps and a drink from a large chain of supermarkets for £3. Wtf are you expecting 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

Spectacularly missing the point chum but no surprise there. The argument is despite them being cheap they are still not very good and a symptom of our shitey eating habits. 

To back up NTPs point, I loved a meal deal before I lived on the continent. Since coming back I would only ever get one when I'm stuck for anything else. The "value" hides the fact they just aren't very good

I have a dream that we’ll not have to settle for poxy 3 quid meal deals quibbling over value for money and instead have enough time, energy, and funds to make a nice meal for lunch. That, to me, is a real meal deal.

:)

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Spectacularly missing the point chum but no surprise there. The argument is despite them being cheap they are still not very good and a symptom of our shitey eating habits. 

Thank God I’ve got such an intelligent guy as yourself (88DF2EDE-F5D8-4771-AAC6-0C78D3586746.png.ef7eb42e5ee7e9632ea7ca1247b0bc87.png) to explain to me that British people don’t have good diets in general and that meal deals aren’t haute cuisine. 

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

That was pretty much my meal deal today, although I went for the chicken, bacon AND stuffing sandwich (and I chose that over a triple decker, even though it was 25p dearer, thus going against my MO). 

image.png.9112d6efb4f4cdcd19b74486e39c439c.png

In fact, I could have smashed my record out the park if I'd also bought coconut water - which would have brought the individual total to £6.50. But who the f**k wants to drink coconut water?

It does lead me to ask though... are Tesco's losing money hand over fist every time you max out your meal deal, or are we just getting super ripped-off if we buy any of the items individually?

I suspect there is a few meal deal traps(such as the coconut water).  They don’t expect to sell these items any other way,  so they stick a high individual price on them and make it seem like value when someone thinks f**k it and gets it as part of their meal deal.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

They're the classic "oh what kind of flavour shall we have to sound exotic? Oh I know, Sweet Fucking Chilli"

Like Brexit, Covid and Douglas Ross all rolled up into a bag.

What are your favourite crisps, Melanius Mullarkey?

41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We even have fittingly cringeworthy patter for our refusal to take our legally entitled breaks....Shite like "dining al desko"

Anyway, unpopular opinion/meal deal crossover. Chicken and Bacon pieces are a bit shit because cold bacon is shit.

Cold bacon is OK as long as its still crispy.

If I ever hear the phrase "dining al desko" I'll rip their tongue out Khal Drogo style.

4 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

What are your favourite crisps, Melanius Mullarkey?

Im a traditionalist. Golden Wonder, although i had some normal Walkers recently and they were ok.  Cant be arsed with Kettle/Mackies etc. Not oily enough for my toned physique.

Im a traditionalist. Golden Wonder, although i had some normal Walkers recently and they were ok.  Cant be arsed with Kettle/Mackies etc. Not oily enough for my toned physique.
Wot? Kettle chips are practically see through theres that much oil in them. Easily the king of crisps although co op ones run them close

13 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Thank God I’ve got such an intelligent guy as yourself (88DF2EDE-F5D8-4771-AAC6-0C78D3586746.png.ef7eb42e5ee7e9632ea7ca1247b0bc87.png) to explain to me that British people don’t have good diets in general and that meal deals aren’t haute cuisine. 

Lol imagine getting so upset at someone saying maybe meal deals aren't good.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Golden Wonder crisps are absolutely shite I’m afraid and for scheme goblins, hence why they went into admin.