Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

911 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would be happy with Ray myself but Suzie is a decent shout also. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Stuart walk not so much in protest but just assumed both might stop at same time.
If he does go I fully expect @Ludo*1 to put up a poll of the runners and riders.

I think you might be right about Cosgrove deciding to just go down with the ship if Cowan goes. But I think that would be a shame. Without Cowan I think the show could be somewhat reinvigorated, and Cosgrove is still good.

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would be happy with Ray myself but Suzie is a decent shout also. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Stuart walk not so much in protest but just assumed both might stop at same time.
If he does go I fully expect @Ludo*1 to put up a poll of the runners and riders.

I don't think it'll end, I think Bartley's accusations of bullying will rile Tam quite a bit as well. 

Having Bartley on the show might solve the situation. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don't think it'll end, I think Bartley's accusations of bullying will rile Tam quite a bit as well. 

Having Bartley on the show might solve the situation. 

I think it’s the only way this could be resolved but it’s whether Bartley will want to bail him given how he has acted not just to him but his partner. Im not sure he would and I wouldn’t blame him tbh.

Edited by gannonball

It was very telling when so many folk chose to pile onto Bartley when all he did was call out what very much sounded like a racist shout and he has now been proven to be entirely correct.

Well done to Hibs for investigating this properly and hopefully the culprit is never able to set foot in a football ground again.

It would be nice if Cowan gives a full on air apology.

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I think it’s the only way this could be resolved but it’s whether Bartley will want to bail him given how he has acted not just to him but his partner. Im not sure he would and I wouldn’t blame him tbh.

Cowan didn't say anything racist and it appears to be two BBC freelancers having a social media spat. I don't think the BBC would have any justification to axe the show or the presenters. Bartley has accused Cowan of bullying and demanded an apology in a public forum, which is what Cowan did in the first instance. 

But for the sake of getting it over with, having Bartley on, and for him to explain what it is like to hear these things shouted at you on and off the football pitch and why it makes him determined to speak out against it. To not have it diluted or trivialised by a jovial radio host in an ill judged rant might help. 

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Cowan didn't say anything racist and it appears to be two BBC freelancers having a social media spat. I don't think the BBC would have any justification to axe the show or the presenters. Bartley has accused Cowan of bullying and demanded an apology in a public forum, which is what Cowan did in the first instance. 

But for the sake of getting it over with, having Bartley on, and for him to explain what it is like to hear these things shouted at you on and off the football pitch and why it makes him determined to speak out against it. To not have it diluted or trivialised by a jovial radio host in an ill judged rant might help. 

There have been plenty of instances of accusations of racism without evidence and even conflicting evidence but I don’t recall Tam ever pulling up anyone else about it, as it’s wrong to do so. If Tam said it once then perhaps you would just say it was a one off but constantly mentioning it on different platforms tells a different story. He clearly has an issue with the two of them and is using something pretty terrible to get at them imo.  I say this as a person who actually quite likes Tam btw.

Edited by gannonball

Cowan's stuff on Bartley comes across a bit Morgan v Markle to me. A bit obsesssive.

Is there any sort of previous history between them?

As for the Martin O'Neill thing a few weeks ago, I thought it was O'Neill that was coming across as a bit of a fanny, to be honest.

Trying too hard to be the comedian and ending up sounding a bit of a weirdo.

1 minute ago, H Wragg said:

Cowan's stuff on Bartley comes across a bit Morgan v Markle to me. A bit obsesssive.

As for the Martin O'Neill thing a few weeks ago, I thought it was O'Neill that was coming across as a bit of a fanny, to be honest.

I think Bartley has even been on off the ball has he not? I don’t think the main issue was him more so his partner but I think it has become that now.

Would also agree regarding MON being a bit cringe. I absolutely love the guy and have been enjoying hearing his anecdotes etc on various platforms of late with his new book but his appearance on OTB was a bit toe curling. Think he will be a bit more relaxed if he does follow through with his agreement to go on the show though.

I always has the impression Cowan is one of these guys who grown up in a era when taking the piss out of minorities was socially acceptable 

Now things have changed and he gets his back up when people are calling out these attitudes now, and someone he’s the type who are suddenly being discriminated against 

How often do you hear him say the phrase “you’d be in jail for saying that today”

Times have changed, he hasn’t really moved on with them.

15 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Barbour walked out of the player of the year dinner and posted publicly that the speaker was telling jokes that belong in the 70's and they did not make everyone in the room feel welcome, I think there was a couple of homophobic and racist terms used if I remember correctly. He was dropped from his agency and stepped back from the after dinner circuit. 

I think the guy was an associate of Cowans. He mentioned it on the show a couple of times shortly after it. 

39 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I always has the impression Cowan is one of these guys who grown up in a era when taking the piss out of minorities was socially acceptable 

Now things have changed and he gets his back up when people are calling out these attitudes now, and someone he’s the type who are suddenly being discriminated against 

How often do you hear him say the phrase “you’d be in jail for saying that today”

Times have changed, he hasn’t really moved on with them.

This is it in a nutshell.

I've always found the dynamic between Cowan and Cosgrove a bit bizarre. Cosgrove seems an incredibly intelligent guy, is obviously well travelled and seems to have a big-world view on most things. He also seems to think that Cowan is, himself, intelligent and switched on.

Now Cowan may be smart in some ways, he seems to have a firm grasp of English grammar etc, but he also seems the entire opposite of Cosgrove in that he's the small town boy with with the small town attitude to some things etc. There is nothing more fucking grating than people being genuinely confused as to why they can't make certain jokes or make certain references without folk calling them out. I know that opposites attract and it's not healthy to surround yourself with like minded people all the time, but how Cosgrove gets through some shows I do not know.

As an aside, I noticed that Dan Gray was mentioned earlier in the thread. I had the pleasure of working alongside Dan at a Scottish charity for a year or so back in 2015-2016. An absolutely phenomenal guy.

Edited by mozam76

13 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Cowan will be along any minute now to screengrab posts from this thread for his Insta story.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't with something about bullying, your typical fragile white man.

Noticed someone in the replies to Bartley's post saying he still owes Dundee United fans an apology (despite the fact that he never once said it was Dundee United fans) - straight white men always need to be the victims.

12 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

I've always liked both Cowan and Cosgrove.

Cowan gets a hard time from some, but I like that he's not politically correct.  He just rips the p*** out of everyone! :)

The problem here isn’t that he ripped the piss out of anyone, it’s that he piled on Bartley and essentially called him a liar, Bartley now having been proven correct on what is a serious issue. Cowan has made himself (perhaps not for the first time) out to be a right fanny, completely ignorant & clueless at best. And that’s before you take into account the stuff about Eilidh Barbour, which he brought up countless times after the event acting as a defendant of the speaker. 

Edited by JagsCG

A lot of people did gleefully jump on Marvin's back after after the comments were (wrongly) proven to be not racist, plenty of posts like that were made on here.

Cowan went with what was being reported by the media at the time and I've always liked him but he was wrong to say that Marvin Bartley should apologise for calling out what he heard. Even if Marvin was wrong he was entitled to voice his concerns about it without getting stick.

Tam was being a dick in that snippet.