Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

941 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

i wish i had known about this before hand, i would've got you to ask him a question that's bugged me for the whole time i've listened to the show. that question would've been....

no interested in English football  {ever other week he say something alone those lines, that its actually becoming an ''off the ball trope''} yet he stood no more that 20ft away from me on platform 14 of Manchester Piccadilly with Johnathon Watson and i think it was Phil Differ, the morning after United won 4-3 against Real Madrid in 2003 in the CL Quarter final 2nd leg

Not interested in English football unless there's a sniff of a freebie ticket might be an accurate reflection of the position. 

You never know though, maybe there was a member of Real Madrid's 1960 team who grew up in a scheme in Letham and knew Cosgrove's dad and he was supporting Real.  

I've got little interest in English football or UEFA competitions once the groups start, but I'd take a freebie to Man U v Real Madrid. Who wouldn't?

I bet not many here keenly follow Argentinian apertura/clausura goings on, but would bite your hand off for a free trip to La Bombonera for the Buenos Aires derby.

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I've got little interest in English football or UEFA competitions once the groups start, but I'd take a freebie to Man U v Real Madrid. Who wouldn't?

I bet not many here keenly follow Argentinian apertura/clausura goings on, but would bite your hand off for a free trip to La Bombonera for the Buenos Aires derby.

but the difference is, do you bang on about how you've no interest in English or UEFA cup competitions ? He does, almost on a weekly basis.

8 hours ago, Meldrew said:

i wish i had known about this before hand, i would've got you to ask him a question that's bugged me for the whole time i've listened to the show. that question would've been....

no interested in English football  {ever other week he say something alone those lines, that its actually becoming an ''off the ball trope''} yet he stood no more that 20ft away from me on platform 14 of Manchester Piccadilly with Johnathon Watson and i think it was Phil Differ, the morning after United won 4-3 against Real Madrid in 2003 in the CL Quarter final 2nd leg

How "bugged" say on a scale of 1-10, would you say you are?

How often does this buggedness manifest itself? Hourly, daily, weekly, occasionally or only when you listen?

Is a champions League quarter final "English football"?

How do you know they had been at the match?

1 hour ago, sophia said:

How "bugged" say on a scale of 1-10, would you say you are?

How often does this buggedness manifest itself? Hourly, daily, weekly, occasionally or only when you listen?

Is a champions League quarter final "English football"?

used to bug me when i first started listening to the show

is a champions league quarter final english football ? it certainly isnt scottish football, and that is what he routinely tells his listeners is his sole football interest

5 hours ago, Meldrew said:

used to bug me when i first started listening to the show

is a champions league quarter final english football ? it certainly isnt scottish football, and that is what he routinely tells his listeners is his sole football interest

Thanks for confirming Champions League isn't English football and as such your subsequent assertion is disproved. 

On 06/11/2021 at 17:19, Ric said:

Both hosts obvious inability to grasp the most basic of information suggests they care little about the subject and only turn up because they are paid to do so.

I find this kind of "hatred" towards the show/hosts quite weird.  It is very simple to avoid the show - just don't listen to that particular radio show or unsubscribe from the podcast.  But the fact that they've both spent 27 years presenting the show suggests they care a great deal.

On 06/11/2021 at 17:54, Highland Capital said:

Punt Cosgrove and especially Cowan and replace them with Craig Telfer and the hullo Raith guy and it'd be a much better show.

I enjoyed Ray Bradshaw being on the show recently, but there's no way that either Cosgrove or Cowan can be replaced - once they've gone, you'll just have another mediocre Scottish football radio show trying desperately to be new and funny.  Craig Telfer is, I believe, one of the presenters of the quirky hipster Terrace podcast, which was fun for about two months...  

On 06/11/2021 at 17:58, Patrick Bateman said:

Do they usually interrupt each other so much? 

They do.  And it is incredibly annoying.  Cowan, especially, seems incapable of letting Cosgrove finish one of his (quite often dull) stories.

17 hours ago, Meldrew said:

a question that's bugged me for the whole time i've listened to the show. that question would've been....

You've let that bother you for 18 years - that Tam Cowan was at a train station near to which a European game took place the night before?!  I'm not the first to point this out - but that's very odd.  Let it go.

Just now, arab_joe said:

You've let that bother you for 18 years - that Tam Cowan was at a train station near to which a European game took place the night before?!  I'm not the first to point this out - but that's very odd.  Let it go.

no, it bugged me for a time when i was a regular listener to the show, i still listen if its on and i'm in the car, i just don't believe him when he claims he'd rather watch a delayed transmission on BBC Alba on mute while listening to Englebert Humperdink, rather than a live Barclays game

26 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

no, it bugged me for a time when i was a regular listener to the show, i still listen if its on and i'm in the car, i just don't believe him when he claims he'd rather watch a delayed transmission on BBC Alba on mute while listening to Englebert Humperdink, rather than a live Barclays game

To be fair I'd rather watch a South of Scotland game than an EPL game but if someone offered me a free ticket and travel to a big European night I'd take it up. Even if Nithsdale Wanderers were playing. 

7 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

To be fair I'd rather watch a South of Scotland game than an EPL game but if someone offered me a free ticket and travel to a big European night I'd take it up. Even if Nithsdale Wanderers were playing. 

i would never have believed this before i joined this forum, i can't remember the last time i seen a live scottish non international match, if it turned out to be more than 20 years, it wouldnt surprise me,  

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

But the fact that they've both spent 27 years presenting the show suggests they care a great deal.

qQpmIX.gif

You sweet naive child, it's almost as if you don't listen to the actual shite they talk, this thread is absolutely chocka full of people pointing out the constant errors they make. Which was the point I am making, that's evidentiality. It's fact.

Their own spin claims them to be ignorant and capricious.

4 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

If only they’d given you some kind of warning that the show would be ill-informed.

In the late 90s, the comedic irreverence relating to a "post-fact" reality was quite zeitgeist. Sadly, the modern ill-informed, or  ignorant, are the types that sit in Facebook echo chambers reposting anti-vaxx/5G conspiracy or promoting right wing, dog whistle, nonsense. The less charitable may suggest hitching a show to an immutable tenet, which itself has shifted drastically in context to now represent the most repellent in our society, might have been a bad idea. Continuing to do so, suggests worse.

On 09/11/2021 at 13:35, Meldrew said:

yet he stood no more that 20ft away from me on platform 14 of Manchester Piccadilly with Johnathon Watson and i think it was Phil Differ, the morning after United won 4-3 against Real Madrid in 2003 in the CL Quarter final 2nd leg

It was remiss of me earlier to forget to ask if you recall what Tam was wearing and if he had a a cabin bag of perhaps a holdall?

You didn't happen to get an autograph did you? If you did, maybe you could consider gifting it to someone who has something unrequited about them.

3 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

Absolutely BRILLIANT today people !

Crawler!

Last time Div was on I posted tongue in cheek "who's this boring b*****d they've got on".

Tam read it and went off on one about "you don't have to listen to the show" etc.

Anyway I'm off to sneak up to Tam's house tonight and shout through the window "Alexa, play Norwegian death metal..."