Heart of Midlothian v St Johnstone - 29th September 2018

12 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

In fairness to Saints, in open play Saints had as good, if not better chances than Hearts. If we’d got anything we’d have been fortunate, but it wasn’t as big an onslaught as some Saints fans are suggesting. Conceding two goals from set pieces to a team that’s better than you is absolutely criminal though. 

You really, really did not

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed with that Saints performance, for a number of reasons but I thought the manager and Blair Alston addressed most of them well in their post-match comments.

It's still early in the season and you never want to make judgements on one game so I think after the matches to round off the first third of the regular season, it'll be an interesting time to take stock.

Easier maybe to say some nice things about Hearts who I don't think had a failure. Thought Naismith looked finished last season but he's clearly found a new lease of life, Morrison looks direct and exciting, with Haring and Lee creating a good mix in midfield. Smith looks like the kind of reliable full back who will do his bit going forward without being flashy or cavalier. Just wish Saints had put up a bit more of a challenge today.

Better team won, should've been a lot more comfortable in the end than it was. Saints missed at least 3 sitters though.

Probably because I'm used to saints be a bit of a bogie team I thought they were poor by their normal standards, they missed Davidson kicking everything in site. I don't miss callachan, just doesn't have it at this level. Always puts the effort in and can grab a goal but just not good enough for the top league.

I thought Dunne and Morrison were great today, Haring and Lee different class today also.

Swanson booting bottles into the crowd shows his class, Chavy Hibs c**t.

2 minutes ago, Aylo vanal said:

Better team won, should've been a lot more comfortable in the end than it was. Saints missed at least 3 sitters though.

I think this is what is causing the conflicting accounts from Saints fans. We undoubtedly did create chances, some pretty glaring ones at that but for every one, we were allowing Hearts to have two or three pops at goal. A lot of them were speculative but to give up so many is poor and there is no doubt the winners were deserved.

The way Hearts played was almost a throwback, not being afraid to have a crack, Morrison running at the full back (actually thought Tanser stood up alright to him), a proper two-man strike force.

Tommy Wright, rightly or wrongly, is trying to remould Saints, playing from the back, passing the ball more but our decision making at times screams of team trying to adapt, quick free kicks or goal kicks when there isn't a second option for the first receiver, trying to pick an extra pass rather than just sticking it in the box etc... We got two corners today, the first of which didn't even get into the box because we mucked it up by overplaying it short.

I can't pretend there weren't times that the pragmatism of the past didn't frustrate me slightly but in reality, I liked what we were about and jibes from outside the club, as the players themselves routinely admitted, were music to the ears. I'm still figuring out this new Saints team and if I'm going to like it.

5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Watt and Wright missed really, really good chances. I can’t think of many good chances that Hearts missed. In fairness that tophat c**t gave me an absolute doing before the game. Chest is in bits. 

You did miss a couple of great chances. McLean put over an open goal from about 4 yards, Naismith blazed one into the crowd, Morrison had two great chances.  

It was tenser than it ought to have been but the amount of chances we're making every week is very encouraging

Wasn't there so no point in commenting too much. Losing 2-1 in one of the toughest away games doesn't sound hellish bad, especially when the two goals came from set pieces and can therefore be remedied. 

Alston and Callachan as the middle two surprised me. I think they've improved us in there in terms of getting chances from the midfield, as last season we didn't have that threat, but the struggle going the other way a bit I think, and that's maybe why we're giving up chances. Davidson or Craig has to be in there too.

Just general musings, as I didn't see how they played today.

Fwiw I think top six is maybe a long stretch already. Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen will be there, Hearts look stick ons now, and Hibs/Killie will be too. I'll be happy with being comfortable away from relegation and a season of seeing how a new style of player will work.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

... especially when the two goals came from set pieces and can therefore be remedied...

How long have we been saying that for? The manager highlighted during the week that we lost 21 goals from set pieces last season.

Just now, Radford said:

How long have we been saying that for? The manager highlighted during the week that we lost 21 goals from set pieces last season.

A fair point tbh. What looked like the problem today? We seemed to lose a lot of headers against Celtic as our players weren't able to compete physically. A backline of Foster, Kerr, Shaughnessy, Tanser must be one of the least physical in the league.

Some of our build-up play was excellent again today, as it was on Wednesday. Just need to be a bit more clinical in front of goal. Someone is going to get a proper doing before too long.

That's also two good tests of character this week. After slipping up against Livi and then going 1-0 down in midweek, to rally the way we did and then have to see out what should have been a more comfortable win today as well is really good to see. It's experience we can draw upon if and when similar happens as the season progresses.

A header from a corner has been coming from Dunne. He has been outstanding. What a headband wearing dream Haring is tae.

4 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

2-1 sounds close. It wasn't.

Correct. Other than the final 15 mins, a total walk in the park for hearts, despite a few missed chances for us. I can’t wait for this run of fixtures to end. Last one next week, thankfully. 

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Some of our build-up play was excellent again today, as it was on Wednesday. Just need to be a bit more clinical in front of goal. Someone is going to get a proper doing before too long.

That's also two good tests of character this week. After slipping up against Livi and then going 1-0 down in midweek, to rally the way we did and then have to see out what should have been a more comfortable win today as well is really good to see. It's experience we can draw upon if and when similar happens as the season progresses.

A header from a corner has been coming from Dunne. He has been outstanding. What a headband wearing dream Haring is tae.

Also: two wins without big Uche up top. Pleasing to see after questions were asked about our effectiveness without him last week.

Didn't go but lucked upon a stream during the first half. Agree with other's that hearts looked very comfortable for most of the game. If you're playing attacking line ups you need your attacking players to perform and of the front four that started only Wright looked a threat. Thought Kane was poor and Kennedy anonymous. You could almost forgive some off days from Kennedy going forward if he helped out Tanser but he doesn't offer much tracking back. Felt Tanser dealt well with a very impressive Morrison given how often he was left one on one. (is he one of heart's own?).

Looked more threatening once Watt and Swanson appeared. Missing a calming presence in the middle once more but that's not new news.

ETA - Hearts looked impressive and played attractive stuff that belied the perception some of them.

17 hours ago, Widge said:

Interestingly I disagree. I actually thought we were alright today and cause Hearts problems. I agree we didn’t pick up enough second balls over the course of the game, but if we’d started with Watt and Swanson we’d have made more of a game of it. Watt, Wright and I’d argue McMillans header should all have hit the target and probably gone in. Swanson should have done more with his chance too. Time is running out for Kennedy, he was awful again today. As was Kane for the most part. We’re still missing a midfielder, or I’d even argue Murray today, someone to win the ball back and move forward with it. Alston was good, but was let down by Callachan, who despite scoring wanted too long on the ball and got caught on it time and time again. Hearts are clever the way their shape changes from flat back four in defence to a 3 and Haring in attack, the two strikers is the way forward, but Kane’s energy was non-existent and therefore the press was poor.

I’m not worried about the game, we’re not gonna be near the bottom, on another day we score 3/4. Yes Hearts also had chances, but it took two set pieces for them to make the break through. Watt and Swanson fit and playing will win us points for sure.

One last thing. Hearts scored both goals from corners, because they simply put the ball in the box and contested them. Not once did we do that, it was played short time and time again. Pointless actions which wasted goal scoring chances. If anything that’s what I’m most disappointed about.

Had missed your post Widge; agree we missed a few chances.. if you include Ibrox that's quite a few sitters we've not taken, but I thought other than the last 20 minutes we were second best by a long way in general play.

Zander pulled off a number of decent saves yet again.

The sitters issue doesn't bother me at the moment, it's what is happening up the other end. Over the past three games, the opposition (albeit arguably the three best teams in the league) have had 64 shots at goal against us. The players should be embarrassed by that.

Archived