Loan Deals to be Limited?

NorthernLights

FIFA are planning on limiting clubs to loaning out 6 players at any one time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45643965

I'd really like to see such limits introduced.  Certain clubs are taking advantage of the system at the moment.  The "On Loan" section of the Chelsea website is quite something.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/teams/on-loan-players

I imagine the proposals will be watered down if they do come into force and clubs will find loopholes.  I'd imagine the likes of Man City will spread their reserve/youth players across their the various clubs they are affiliated to like Girona, Melbourne and New York,

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move. Chelsea have been taking the piss for years, but you're right, the big teams will probably just find other ways to take the piss!

They should probably bring down the limit gradually instead of suddenly jump to 6. I suppose the fear would be loads of players stuck below the reserves until their contracts run out. It'll hopefully sort itself out after a few seasons though

I don't mind them limiting loans, but worried that the likes of Chelsea would use this as an excuse to push for the dreaded B teams in the league. Which would be shite. 

They could have a reserves league (is there one already?) but I don’t see why they should get B teams in. They were the ones trying to push the loans system so if they are stuck with a glut of players then they’ll just have to sell them.

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 23:32, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't mind them limiting loans, but worried that the likes of Chelsea would use this as an excuse to push for the dreaded B teams in the league. Which would be shite. 

Was thinking the same thing. In Germany/Spain they have B Teams to give younger players game time and Italy has that "dual ownership" stuff. If this happens the big English clubs will be lobbying the FA in no time.

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Was thinking the same thing. In Germany/Spain they have B Teams to give younger players game time and Italy has that "dual ownership" stuff. If this happens the big English clubs will be lobbying the FA in no time.

Italy binned the dual ownership did they not?  They have also opened up their league to B teams (Juventus U23's currently in Serie C, Girona A).  

On 28/09/2018 at 14:36, Coooombe said:

I can't see B teams being viable in the English leagues unless they were capped at the conference. The Football League system seems to be more sacred there than in other countries (quite rightly). 

I can't see many getting much higher than the conference if it was fully open anyway. The B teams don't exactly impress in the EFL trophy and that tournament doesn't get taken serious by  many League 1 & 2 teams. In Germany the last B team dropped out of the 3rd tier last season and they are much hated by lower division fans. In The Netherlands they are restricting them more from next season. B teams in the English lower leagues would be a stupid idea and it won't work. They first should have a long and hard look at the youth development in England, which is well behind other countries like Germany.

3 hours ago, Marten said:

I can't see many getting much higher than the conference if it was fully open anyway. The B teams don't exactly impress in the EFL trophy and that tournament doesn't get taken serious by  many League 1 & 2 teams.

The current Cheslea U-23s would probably be good enough to stay up in League 2 but, if they picked the players they currently have on loan, would be a Championship quality side ye'd reckon.

Archived