Attendances; why do you care?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Strange question.

You're asking what the positives are of more people taking an interest in Scottish football?

Of taking an interest in the Scottish Cup final?  Yes, I pretty much am, because if maximum interest is what we want, then we both know how that's best achieved.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Of taking an interest in the Scottish Cup final?  Yes, I pretty much am, because if maximum interest is what we want, then we both know how that's best achieved.

We've had plenty of Old Firm semi-finals and finals over the years. It's not something we're missing.

What we have missed is big games between Scotland's next tier of clubs. It's not a complicated point.

I've not advocated seeding, or byes, or kicking teams out, or heated balls. I just think it would be nice to have some of those games.

I'm surprised anyone who's interested in Scottish football wouldn't like to see them from time to time. I don't see how anyone could argue that it wouldn't add to the game. Again, I'm not arguing and have never argued that a final like 2015 is a bad thing. Just that there's another type of good final that we've not really had much of.

I don't understand why this upsets people. It's very strange.

Just now, JTS98 said:

We've had plenty of Old Firm semi-finals and finals over the years. It's not something we're missing.

What we have missed is big games between Scotland's next tier of clubs. It's not a complicated point.

I've not advocated seeding, or byes, or kicking teams out, or heated balls. I just think it would be nice to have some of those games.

I'm surprised anyone who's interested in Scottish football wouldn't like to see them from time to time. I don't see how anyone could argue that it wouldn't add to the game. Again, I'm not arguing and have never argued that a final like 2015 is a bad thing. Just that there's another type of good final that we've not really had much of.

Not in the least upset.

Just a little intrigued.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

It's not about what you want though, you need to deserve to be there. Nobody gives a f**k because you're shite. If Hearts and Aberdeen were brilliant at football then maybe you'd attract more neutrals.  You aren't though,  you're just another Falkirk or Dundee.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

1) It's not about what you want though, you need to deserve to be there. Nobody gives a f**k because you're shite. If Hearts and Aberdeen were brilliant at football then maybe you'd attract more neutrals.  You aren't though,  you're just another Falkirk or Dundee.

1) I know. I've never said it is. Not once. I have advocated not a single change to the competition.

Why are you so angry that I think it'd be nice to see more of a certain type of fixture that we hardly ever see?

2) We're not though. We're higher profile. Not better, not worse. Higher profile.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Questioning something or having a different opinion = raging and upset.

The mark of a cretin.

There's quite clearly an aggressive tone in at least two of the respondents.

Just now, JTS98 said:

I know. I've never said it is. Not once. I have advocated not a single change to the competition.

Why are you so angry that I think it'd be nice to see more of a certain type of fixture that we hardly ever see?

I'm not angry. I just don't think you realise no one gives a f**k, no matter the team.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

I'm not angry. I just don't think you realise no one gives a f**k, no matter the team.

But the facts would suggest otherwise.

In your world, every game of football would attract the same level of interest as every other game of football. Yet, we know that not to be the case.

8 hours ago, JTS98 said:

We were penalty kicks away from a Hearts v Aberdeen League Cup final in 2013, that would have been a great occasion.

Just to clarify, Aberdeen went out on penalties in the quarters that year, not the semis. They would have had to face Celtic in the semi, who St Mirren of course beat.

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Maybe you wouldn't, but I think plenty would.

Put simply, Aberdeen are a big club in Scotland. People like them or dislike them. But they tend to have an opinion on them. Similarly, lots of people like or dislike Hearts, or Hibs. People will watch a game if they care who wins.

A cup final between Falkirk and ICT is great, but doesn't raise interest in the same way because neutral fans tend not to care who wins, outwith a very niche group of fans of rivals of those clubs.

It's not rocket science.

I'm gonna dissent from others here and agree with you. I was licking my chops at the prospect of the Hearts-Hibs final. I didn't watch St Johnstone's cup win, but I would have watched that final if it were Dundee Utd v Aberdeen. It's hard to explain why, but it's just more appealing to me. It's not just about size though, I'd watch Killie play any of the 'big 5' these days too.

Whether, or how much, it matters that more neutrals watch on the telly is debatable, but it certainly draws more attention when the traditional big beasts meet. I'm looking forward to the league cup semis a week on Sunday like no equivalent before.

I’ve never personally bothered about crowd gloating to be honest. I must admit I’m fascinated by the record books and stories of the old Hampden mega crowd days and wonder what it would’ve been like to watch a football game amongst 147000 people. That’s just pure batshit mentalness.

I know it’s important to some people but nowadays I would generally say Rangers fans are the worst for it currently. Iused to laugh when they were in the lower leagues, on that fact alone I might add, but also when they constantly pointed out that they were setting records for the biggest crowds of all time in the 3rd division and suchlike. If I’m honest I would’ve been more surprised if they hadn’t. This also extends to the daily reminders that it was their support that was propping up the lower 3 divisions single handedly and how all the lower league teams should be grateful for their presence but when your club’s just died and it’s all went down South I suppose crowds and fans are all you have. All the wonderful banter about it being a journey and making new friends along the way. What I never understood was why Rangers fans singled out Celtic, Aberdeen and most of all Dundee Utd for their special brand of treatment when just about all those other lower league teams voted to freeze them out too. Was it because those 3 clubs were most vocal about it? I don’t know.

I wonder how those new friendships turned out in the end. More likely it went the way of a holiday friendship.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Just to clarify, Aberdeen went out on penalties in the quarters that year, not the semis. They would have had to face Celtic in the semi, who St Mirren of course beat.

I'm gonna dissent from others here and agree with you. I was licking my chops at the prospect of the Hearts-Hibs final. I didn't watch St Johnstone's cup win, but I would have watched that final if it were Dundee Utd v Aberdeen. It's hard to explain why, but it's just more appealing to me. It's not just about size though, I'd watch Killie play any of the 'big 5' these days too.

Whether, or how much, it matters that more neutrals watch on the telly is debatable, but it certainly draws more attention when the traditional big beasts meet. I'm looking forward to the league cup semis a week on Sunday like no equivalent before.

Apologies. I meant 2014, when Hearts lost to ICT on pens.

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Questioning something or having a different opinion = raging and upset.

The mark of a cretin.

The mark of a "big team w****r" as well. Despite their desperate attempts to paint it as anything different.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

I didn't watch St Johnstone's cup win, but I would have watched that final if it were Dundee Utd v Aberdeen

5bc983db6b195_giphy(1).gif.b9e90a2f80a61d01087fc2af43274b3e.gif

14 hours ago, JTS98 said:

That's true. But it's not just about the 'ill', it's about the lack of the positive, if you see what I mean.

A full Hampden for the Hearts - Hibs cup final was a strong look for our game. Internally, even. It was good to see a full 50/50 Hampden outwith the Old Firm. It would be good to have more days like that.

I've got nothing against smaller teams winning. It's not like Hearts are a trophy machine in a position to patronise.

Are you sure you're a Hearts fan? :)

Archived