When Will Bigotry Be Addressed In Scottish Football?

39 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Yeah, it’s a pretty reasonable reply. The club themselves haven’t specifically mentioned any sectarian issue and at no point did I say they had but the fans have highlighted the problem. The club have come out and condemned the behaviour in general. A lot of this kind of thing can only be sorted through self-policing.

You nicely sidestepped the Celtic point and also my other question. Do St Johnstone and all the other clubs in the division have a sectarian problem as well? 

This is part of the problem - none of these clubs actually want to acknowledge that they have a sectarian issue, its all a bit taboo in this country.

Apologies the other bit is lengthy, but you did ask..............................

In my opinion, and based on what I have seen/heard there are 3 clubs with a standout issue, Celtic, Rangers, Hearts - clubs where songs get belted out by significantly more than "a small minority" and where there seem more than a handful of radges.

n.b. This is far more pronounced with Celtic and Rangers, it should go without saying.  

I have no idea if Hearts fans only sing these songs to Hibs as I dont go to Tynecastle to watch other teams, but some of the social media stuff suggests a fair degree of sectarian nonsense there too.

As for other clubs in the division?

Its my experience that they all have a walloper section, Hibs included - we have a (very) small number of the IRA "stokesies dad" types  but you will never hear a sectarian song from Hibs fans other than a handful of pished up erses, usually on one bus / train together. 

Its my guess that most clubs to a greater or lesser degree (depending on crowd size?) have this - e.g. If Hibs have a bus or two per above, Livi might have 2 guys (mind you, west lothian, so who can tell !!).

I certainly dont think St Johnstone have a problem................ I didnt think Aberdeen had one but I heard their fans singing about Lennon being  a ****** b*****d a few weeks ago. But again, this was probably just a few bams, so hardly endemic.

I think that most clubs in Scotland just reflect Scottish society, and some of Scottish society isnt pretty !

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The guy was an arsehole when he played. He was a perma rager on the park and goaded fans too.

To play Neil Lennon as an incident bystander is ignoring the man's history. Even in the shadow of this incident he is stoking the fires by calling it "racism" when there are 6 Irish managers in the league and none get the same abuse as him. There is a lot of this that is about him as a person.

He has clashed violently on the touch line with Ally McCoist and Jim Duffy as manager, was he just minding his own business then? Multiple touchline bans when boss of Celtic. The guy cannot control himself on the touchline. That doesn't justify throwing a coin or sectarian abuse but it does explain why he is a target of the crowd's vitriol rather than his theory that he is being singled out for his "race".

You mean when Duffy and his entire team came into Hibs technical area?

At least get the fact right when making a point, walloper.

iF yOu AcTeD LiKe ThAt On ThE sTrEeT  oR aT yOuR wOrK wHaT wOuLd YoU eXpEcT????

Calling card of  a moron who doesn't understand there's a difference between an average person walking in the street compared to a well known public figure and a difference between someone who works in an office compared to someone having abuse hurled at them for 90 minutes from thousands of people every week.

33 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

That's not exactly what's happening with Lennon though.

It's more akin to a man waking down Argyle Street minding his own business, being subjected to 90 minutes of complete vitriol 

Have you read the witness accounts of the Ashton Lane assault?

Why is he not being charged by the SFA? 

Why is he not being charged with Behaviour likely to cause a BotP

Why is nobody laughing at his dive holding his face when all the video evidence shows it is nowhere near his face

Why was Irish Roman Catholic Brendan Rodgers just voted Manager of the Month? 

Why has Pakie Bonner never suffered from this bigotry? He never hid his religious beliefs on the field of play.

Why is Nacho Novo picked out by the Irish Bigots? Why does Albertz not suffer in the same way.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Well he seems to be able to behave at the vast majority of grounds his team play at, so you have to question why it's only when his team plays in a couple of venues, and invariably towards the end of these fixtures, that he plays up.

Again, I'm not suggesting it's perfectly ok for him to get involved in the nonsense, but it's self-evident he doesn't start it, and doesn't get the sort of 'reception' from every single group of fans in Scotland that he does from a certain few.

Personally I'm not a fan of Lennon, I think he's abrasive and antagonistic, but only in the respect that he's the sort of manager who builds a certain mentality at his own team that home fans appreciate, and fans of other sides find grating. Is the man himself a bigot? I wouldn't know, I don't know him well enough to judge. Considering that he doesn't receive anything like the sort of concerted, sustained abuse he gets at Ibrox or Tynecastle elsewhere, then I think it's perfectly fair to conclude that there's likely a bigoted element to that abuse. Even if he is a bigot himself, or plays the 'bigotry card' when he's the victim, that doesn't in any way mean he's not in fact being subjected to bigoted abuse from bigots.

Well without getting into whether or not Neil Lennon is a bigot or not too much, as you correctly point out, the majority of this behaviour from him tends to come against Rangers and Hearts. Now why is this? Well coming from the west of Scotland and therefore being exposed to a vast number of Celtic fans and their 'outlooks' I have learned that they obviously see Rangers as the biggest enemy, the **** etc, alot of them view Hearts as 'the wee ****' or 'the diets' or 'wee cousins' for whatever reason. So therefore it really isn't much of a surprise that Neil Lennon, a high profile Celtic fan himself also views these clubs in the same way and so ramps up his 'act' whenever his side plays either of them.

He may not start it as you say, but he certainly seems to revel in it and is in no way intimidated by it and instead seems to revel in the whole thing. Everyone knows that there are a large number of backward looking cretins in the Rangers support and they hold views on the world which are strange to say the least and Hearts like all supports have their fair share of idiots following them like all clubs do, but it is in no way akin to a guy walking down the street minding his own business...Neil Lennon gives as good as he gets against both of these clubs fans and seems to enjoy the whole circus that ensues as a result.

1 minute ago, Green Day said:

You mean when Duffy and his entire team came into Hibs technical area?

At least get the fact right when making a point, walloper.

Fake news: Duffy was actually on the pitch to get popcorn teeth away from the Morton player who he was berating like a fanny.

And then Lennon shat it. 

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I suspect that the person who threw the coin did so not for sectarian reasons but because they are an arsehole

He played right into Lennons hands. 

The Hearts Keeper being decked after actually being hit in the face gets little to no media coverage 

Lennon would have been facing a hefty fine / touch line ban for yet again goading the opposition support. At least it wasn’t disabled supporters this time 

coin harmlessly bounces of his padded jacket and now Hibs and Lennon are the Victims 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Fake news: Duffy was actually on the pitch to get popcorn teeth away from the Morton player who he was berating like a fanny.

And then Lennon shat it. 

Lennon shat it??? No way ??? Big tough ‘ I want to meet the guy that threw the coin’ Lenny

Duffy is lucky Lennon never hit the deck then went running to the police 

3 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

The Hearts Keeper being decked after actually being hit in the face gets little to no media coverage 

Lennon would have been facing a hefty fine / touch line ban for yet again goading the opposition support. At least it wasn’t disabled supporters this time 

coin harmlessly bounces of his padded jacket and now Hibs and Lennon are the Victims 

That's correct and it's incredible that the fact that the Hearts goalkeeper who had gone to retrieve the ball from infront of the Hibs support(and, from what I saw didn't goad them in any way) was actually punched in the face by a Hibs fan is being completely overlooked because of the latest 'Lennon's a Victim' campaign just sums up reporting in this country.

Neither incident reflects well on either club and there is no excusing either, but there's only one incident that the Scottish media are interested in...and it isn't because of either Edinburgh club, it's because of one individual and his and the Scottish media's desperation to hold this particular person up as a martyr to a particular agenda.

37 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

Ooft. At least wee Lenny cupping his ears at you at Ibrox hasn’t mentally scarred you or anything :lol: Why can adults not accept when someone gives them a bit of banter back? Most likely after having received abuse (a large majority of it being sectarian) for 90 minutes.

The coin hit him in the face then bounced down onto his jacket. Not that it matters an awful lot.

Also, for whoever argued that Rodgers doesn’t get the abuse that Lennon gets. He does. He just deals with it differently, because he’s a different person. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46073396

6 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Mind that time Lennon got death threats for captaining Northern Ireland.

I'm not condoning it, but he really does bring it on himself.

Did you like Lennon before he joined Hibs or were you an anti Catholic racist?

Archived