Raith v Airdrie

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

This game is sort of key to our season.

We've changed dramatically just by becoming competent.   But the big question is:   what have we actually beaten?   Stranraer and Dumbarton were essentially dung.   East Fife were possibly for real, but we need this game to confirm or deny if we're back on track.

If we're underwhelming, the past 3 weeks are a mirage and we still have a lot to do.

If we perform well and compete, ok, we're going in the right direction but it'll take time.

Win convincingly, and we can really get excited

Looks like you boys are dung , as well as the rest of us , 

A game of two halves the first had us playing some fantastic stuff but the said about the second the better. Airdrie looked ok in spells but never lived up to the prematch hype.
Came out second half and played to contain airdrie and gain a cleansheet. Can't ask for much more than that from mcglynn.

Apart from the goals in the first twenty minutes, we were poor. Got better as the half went on. Thomsons distribution is poor, the passing was incredibly slack. Airdrie had the better of the second half but never done a lot that troubled thomson. The scramble after a corner and the shot they had that went flying past aside. Positives for us is a clean sheet, gillespies tracking back and armstrongs performance. It was a tough watch, but happy with the 3 points.

2 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

There's an absolute phantom of a man behind me criticising Nisbet's every move. "He cannae play a simple pass. He's fucking shite." Flannigan getting it too. Doing my heid in.

Flannigan was rubbish TBH.

Pretty much all been covered. Airdrie the better team for the first 15 minutes, once we went 2-0 up we were excellent until half time and really should of had a third.

We sat back to soak up Airdrie pressure second half and we managed it relatively comfortably.

Airdrie looked a decent side in spells though and I’m sure under Murray they will go from strength to strength. I would expect to see them in the play offs.

Last thing, after all the criticism he has had since he joined its only fair to recognise Liam Buchanan has been much improved in recent weeks. Been really impressed with him recently and I don’t think it’s any coincidence now we are getting the ball on the deck and playing good football that we’re seeing the best of him.

Last thing, after all the criticism he has had since he joined its only fair to recognise Liam Buchanan has been much improved in recent weeks. Been really impressed with him recently and I don’t think it’s any coincidence now we are getting the ball on the deck and playing good football that we’re seeing the best of him.

Thought buchanan done well today, always looking for the ball and trying to link things up. Playing off nisbet or another striker seems to work better for him.

Yeah I was fully Buchanan is finished and hoping he’d just retire and jack it in. But McGlynn has got him so fit now, and his work rate and link up play has been excellent for weeks now, and more importantly chipping in with the odd goal. He was my man of the match today.
Some of our football was excellent today. Agree that Airdrie probably did edge the % of possession, but didn’t create anything noteworthy. Good solid win today.

As with many games this season we lack a forward line that has goals in them. Raith were always more likely to put the ball in the net with their forward play so no surprises today.

When we look at the league positions it is no surprise where we are, if you start a season without proven regular goalscorers at this level then you're asking for trouble. I know people will say, 'what about Duffy and carrick?' and the lack of service to them but imagine if we had Nisbet and Ryan Wallace in the forward line.

I did wonder what "performance" would appear and the first half was the poor defending one, whilst the second half was a bit better with a better shape and intensity. But it was too late and Raith's second goal effectively ended it. We did have one good chance to get one back in that corner scramble but McIntosh fluffed it. I thought Raith had a great attacking spell after going two up but we lacked that cutting edge when we got a grip. Thought Page was really poor at first goal and given Raith's home record it was no surprise we lost.  the possession stats might suggest 50/50 but it was only in second half we looked up for it. As for the hammer thrower comment there were lots of trivial fouls but surely Davidson's foul/booking on Carrick would be the worst/best? Only Raith and Arbroath string results together so it looks like the bottom 8 vying for 3rd and 4th or 9/10! . Hard to believe Montrose have closed the gap on us after losing so convincingly against us-have they changed their line up? 

I hope so, but being honest too many years of following the toon has me avoiding 9th place first ( or lower !)  , then I’ll hope for a playoff in the right direction 

we’ve not had much luck with them really, I think the last time I remember us going up via one was when the denizens of ibrox got relegated , and we got promoted as best losers from the season before 

Archived