Berwick v Edinburgh

Anything other than another car crash will be a bonus. 

No idea if any of the wounded are fit enough to return. Also, it seems clear that Harvey has decided who is leaving the club in January - sounds like a fair few of them - so is there any point in playing them one last time?

But... without using untried youngsters, I doubt if he has 11 players he wants to keep that are also fit.

Possibility of a slight frost on top of the Cheviots, so the game may be off. 

I'll be at his one out of respect for Johnny Harvey after his honest apology to fans and obvious embarrassment after the Annan game. The man needs some support after being badly let down by his players recently.

I'm trying to build up some enthusiasm for Saturday. We need to get this game out of the way and focus on the January transfer window in the hope that things can improve with some new blood. I'm sure Brennan will be kept very busy........:unsure:

With concentration turning to January transfers and the like, now seems as good a time as any to remind everyone we once had a natural scorer in Blair Henderson (who will be playing for the opposition tomorrow and has 25 goals this season already), and who was hounded out because he 'didn't work hard enough'. If we do sign a striker who scores goals in January, let's try giving him a chance, eh? Hopefully tomorrow our defence aren't feeling as friendly as usual and he won't be on 30 before 2019. 

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

With concentration turning to January transfers and the like, now seems as good a time as any to remind everyone we once had a natural scorer in Blair Henderson (who will be playing for the opposition tomorrow and has 25 goals this season already), and who was hounded out because he 'didn't work hard enough'. If we do sign a striker who scores goals in January, let's try giving him a chance, eh? Hopefully tomorrow our defence aren't feeling as friendly as usual and he won't be on 30 before 2019. 

Genuine question. Is Henderson good? Or, is it good service at Edinburgh that gets him the goals?

4 hours ago, PELE said:

Genuine question. Is Henderson good? Or, is it good service at Edinburgh that gets him the goals?

BTU always admired Henderson at Berwick because he scored goals. Fairly important for a striker. 

I was glad to see the back of him because I thought he was shite. For a big guy, his heading was abysmal his first touch was distinctly iffy and his work outside the box was piss-poor. He went on to be shite elsewhere too. A friend of mine described him as 'useless and bone-idle in equal measure' and the worst forward he had ever seen in a Berwick shirt. (He'd forgotten about Scott Dalziel) 

But... you can't argue with his goal scoring record in the last few years. His heading is much better and he has developed into one of the most prolific centre-forwards in the lower leagues in terms of goals scored. He certainly has a canny knack of being in the right place at the right time - a trait enjoyed by all the best strikers. 

You can't argue with that, and on that basis alone BTU was right and I was wrong.

It reminds me of the old managerial saying "all he does is score goals". 

Well I've seen enough forwards in my time who can pass prettily, get in good positions, and look fantastic on the ball and still not hit a coo's erse with a banjo. 

Pity I'll miss this one due to a bad foot and knackered motor- I always like a wee trip down over the Border. Hope you Berwickers get a good crowd. 

34 minutes ago, Redcar said:

BTU always admired Henderson at Berwick because he scored goals. Fairly important for a striker. 

I was glad to see the back of him because I thought he was shite. For a big guy, his heading was abysmal his first touch was distinctly iffy and his work outside the box was piss-poor. He went on to be shite elsewhere too. A friend of mine described him as 'useless and bone-idle in equal measure' and the worst forward he had ever seen in a Berwick shirt. (He'd forgotten about Scott Dalziel) 

But... you can't argue with his goal scoring record in the last few years. His heading is much better and he has developed into one of the most prolific centre-forwards in the lower leagues in terms of goals scored. He certainly has a canny knack of being in the right place at the right time - a trait enjoyed by all the best strikers. 

You can't argue with that, and on that basis alone BTU was right and I was wrong.

Scott Dalziel was a very effective player, much like Henderson. Maybe Berwick should try playing to strengths instead of idealisms? 

He is clearly playing in a team that suits him with real pace either side and tremendous delivery from wide areas but as others have said he’s just got a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

I think if he’d played for us either of the past 2 seasons where we were either a deadly counter attacking outfit or piss poor long ball merchants (delete as applicable) he’d have struggled as he needs players close to him when he gets the ball.

Ooft, apart from a couple of good plays from Berwick it was pretty much one way traffic for about 2/3 of the game and then it just got scrappy and fair play to Berwick, they battled their way right back into it, the last goal being the last kick of the game as well. On the plus side, it was good seeing Ouzy See back on the pitch again.

3 hours ago, Back post Willie said:

To be fair Ouzy See was the difference we needed,some fight, touches and putting himself about emoji106.png
The new goalkeeper looks solid and I enjoyed seeing himemoji57.pngemoji122.png.
Many negatives but I ain’t going to bang on as everyone knows what they were.
COYG transfer window needs used to full effect.

What he said

Great spirit from the boys especially after Ouzy came on. They may well have subsided late on, but actually got stronger with some crunching tackles going in. 

Orru and Barr were excellent. And a mention for Wilson who got better just when we need him to. 

Great to see Johnny lead his team over to the Ducket at the end too.

Cracking day out. 

I see the crowd was given as 500 which is a decent turn out. Get more crowds like that and Berwick won't be at the bottom for long. 

Incidentally franchises with no history or fans receiving financial support seem to be doing quite well in Scottish football at the moment- 7th in the Premier League and media darlings. 

Archived