The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Unable to make the game watched highlights first goal reminded me of the way we lost couple in the first game the equaliser was very poor goal to loose.. 

Absolutely gutted about that yesterday. We reacted so well to going a goal down but to throw it away at the death was frustrating, albeit an equaliser was coming.

Two things that frustrate about the equaliser:

1) The header came from about 4 yards out. I like Hutton as a keeper but when is he going to start coming for cross balls? He needs to be more commanding of this 6 yard box

2) Fordyce actually bends down to head the ball away and it goes over his head. Stand up straight and the ball hits his chest!

Anyway, on balance of play a draw was probably fair. Just never easy to concede so late.

Onto Tynecastle we go...

35 minutes ago, *marko* said:

Absolutely gutted about that yesterday. We reacted so well to going a goal down but to throw it away at the death was frustrating, albeit an equaliser was coming.

Two things that frustrate about the equaliser:

1) The header came from about 4 yards out. I like Hutton as a keeper but when is he going to start coming for cross balls? He needs to be more commanding of this 6 yard box

2) Fordyce actually bends down to head the ball away and it goes over his head. Stand up straight and the ball hits his chest!

Anyway, on balance of play a draw was probably fair. Just never easy to concede so late.

Onto Tynecastle we go...

Up at Arbroath last season talking to couple of their fishermen fans said Campbell dropped him cause although he thought he was a great shot stopper he rarely would come out for cross balls..

On 12/01/2020 at 12:11, Eric the half a b said:

Up at Arbroath last season talking to couple of their fishermen fans said Campbell dropped him cause although he thought he was a great shot stopper he rarely would come out for cross balls..

It's certainly what Cameron appeared to be saying last week at home. I have yet to watch highlights for my own take, but I have never met many Airdrie fishermen fans recently!  I am angling for a greenie? On to Tynecastle as you say.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

It's different if the ball is right down his throat, but at this level I don't think it's necessarily an issue having a keeper who doesn't come for anything. Provided that he makes up for it by making good reaction stops from headers when called upon, and that the whole team know he doesn't come for stuff and is prepared accordingly. It becomes an issue when the defence expect the keeper to come for stuff but he stays on his line.

If he isn't good at coming and claiming crosses then I'd rather he didn't try, as coming for crosses and missing them (see Clyde's first goal a few weeks ago) will lead to a goal the majority of the time.

We aren't great at defending set pieces, mainly due to a lack of players who can head a ball - the 2 centre backs plus Gallagher (who was off the pitch at yesterday's goal), and McKay - although he is just tall, not actually that good in the air. The main way to stop this is not concede so many set-pieces, firstly needless free-kicks in wide areas. But also so many corners by sitting back.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's different if the ball is right down his throat, but at this level I don't think it's necessarily an issue having a keeper who doesn't come for anything. Provided that he makes up for it by making good reaction stops from headers when called upon, and that the whole team know he doesn't come for stuff and is prepared accordingly. It becomes an issue when the defence expect the keeper to come for stuff but he stays on his line.

If he isn't good at coming and claiming crosses then I'd rather he didn't try, as coming for crosses and missing them (see Clyde's first goal a few weeks ago) will lead to a goal the majority of the time.

We aren't great at defending set pieces, mainly due to a lack of players who can head a ball - the 2 centre backs plus Gallagher (who was off the pitch at yesterday's goal), and McKay - although he is just tall, not actually that good in the air. The main way to stop this is not concede so many set-pieces, firstly needless free-kicks in wide areas. But also so many corners by sitting back.

Or play Gallagher , keeper has to come off his line he has the advantage with high balls or should have ,not saying it was his fault yesterday but it’s time we addressed this ,

Or play Gallagher , keeper has to come off his line he has the advantage with high balls or should have ,not saying it was his fault yesterday but it’s time we addressed this ,

Pffft,shows you how much you know about football,Gallagher is nowhere near as good a goalkeeper as Hutts,goalkeeping ain’t all about coming for crosses,some of the best goalies in the world don’t come for crosses!

2 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Pffft,shows you how much you know about football,Gallagher is nowhere near as good a goalkeeper as Hutts,goalkeeping ain’t all about coming for crosses,some of the best goalies in the world don’t come for crosses!

There you go again , my opinion is worth nil , if you have been at the games I think you will know how many goals we lose at corners and set pieces,  having played the game there is nothing better than knowing that your keeper will come and claim any high ball ,gives a lot of confidence to defenders , Hutton is a good shot stopper and saved us on many occasion . Hutton only got his chance when Gallagher got injured ,and all credit to him he took it , think his save at Celtic helped his cause ,

6 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Is it worth a punt on Airdrie to beat Hearts?

the optimist in me says yes, but looking at P&B's form guide on twitter we were either 6th or 7th in the league over last 6 games so.....

Interesting to see how we line up against Hearts.. whether we camp in and hopefully hit them on the break or just go with what we’ve been doing recently which I think we’ll get cut open with to be honest.

As much as Hearts are there for the taking they are still two leagues above and with that quality of player against ours although they may be out of form we can’t underestimate them..

A Kick in the teeth to lose that late goal but massive improvement to our last visit to Bayview so worth keeping that in mind. Need to win the home game against Stranraer and if we do it'll set the visit of Raith up as a bit of a showdown. Maybe we will finally get something off them. Nice to see Gal reacting to Ryan's arrival in exactly the manner you want, with a brace of goals and a good performance. Was sure Ryan was scoring with that one that was crossed in from right as well, not quite sure what happened. 

On to the free hit cup game now and you go more with hope than expectation regardless of the form Hearts have shown. We'll struggle to cope with the guile of Meshino and, if he's fit, Walker. I always feel like a bit of pace can cause chaos against League 1 sides and the boy Mulraney has it in spades but they have papped him to train with the reserves by all accounts so can't see him featuring. Be interesting to see how they go.

If we can nick the first goal their crowd will turn and the players seem the sort to suffer a prolapse in such a scenario, but think we will need to ride our luck big time and hope they don't have any new players signed during the week. Presumably we will try to be a bit more solid and might well play big Nat in there to add solidity, height and presence.

Buzzin for it though, ought to be a good occasion and imagine we'll have a class turnout. 

17 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

What I want to know is wtf is fordyce doing on the line trying to head it over the bar instead of cleaning his lines,Goalie was never at fault

If he had stayed upright te ball would have hit him ,must have mistimed his header ,

4 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

If he had stayed upright te ball would have hit him ,must have mistimed his header ,

Aye it's hitting him in the torso if he doesn't move. A rare error in judgement indeed. Frustrating, but it happens. He could have stood still, then booted it away. Ah well. 

Was a real shame to lose a late goal on Saturday, but we're 3 games into the second half of the season and from the corresponding fixtures in the first half (0-0 at home to Falkirk, 4-1 away to East Fife and 0-2 on the opening day against Forfar) we're 4 points better off.

We've also got 2 of the 4 players in our division to have hit double figures in the league (not to mention Andy Ryan's return), have the 2nd best defence in the league and we've only lost twice in our last 12 league games. 

7 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Interesting to see how we line up against Hearts.. whether we camp in and hopefully hit them on the break or just go with what we’ve been doing recently which I think we’ll get cut open with to be honest.

As much as Hearts are there for the taking they are still two leagues above and with that quality of player against ours although they may be out of form we can’t underestimate them..

See above. Since we switched to 433 we've generally been excellent, and there's nobody I'd drop for what the players will surely see as a huge game. If we find ourselves struggling then fair enough, make defensive adjustments, but I'd stick with the team that's put us in the mix at the top of the league. The players will be right up for this one and I fancy us to push them all the way. As far as the bench is concerned, not having Ryan available is a shame, but as a former Jambo and with his place in the pecking order under threat Ally Roy will surely be right up for this one as the game wears on.

You're right, they are 2 leagues above us, but the difference between this one and our trip to Celtic Park last year is that the players will (hopefully!) really believe they can get a result here. Big management links to Edinburgh too - I'm sure Cameron and Murray would love to get one over Hearts here.

We beat them in the summer when their confidence was high...

There you go again , my opinion is worth nil , if you have been at the games I think you will know how many goals we lose at corners and set pieces,  having played the game there is nothing better than knowing that your keeper will come and claim any high ball ,gives a lot of confidence to defenders , Hutton is a good shot stopper and saved us on many occasion . Hutton only got his chance when Gallagher got injured ,and all credit to him he took it , think his save at Celtic helped his cause ,

Tbh that’s nothing to do with Hutton,Goram never came off his line and what a keeper he was,It’s players being willing to be first to the ball and mark players and not getting switched off Hutts is the best Goalkeeper in the league and you want to drop him for an average goalie who can’t kick the ball because he can come for crosses

24 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Tbh that’s nothing to do with Hutton,Goram never came off his line and what a keeper he was,It’s players being willing to be first to the ball and mark players and not getting switched off Hutts is the best Goalkeeper in the league and you want to drop him for an average goalie who can’t kick the ball because he can come for crosses

24 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Tbh that’s nothing to do with Hutton,Goram never came off his line and what a keeper he was,It’s players being willing to be first to the ball and mark players and not getting switched off Hutts is the best Goalkeeper in the league and you want to drop him for an average goalie who can’t kick the ball because he can come for cross
25 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Who said anything about dropping Hutton ,thought we were talking about a keeper that can control his box , in turn would make him a better keeper , And Goram did control his box big style think that’s  why he was named the (Gaffer)