The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

27 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Same lineup as Saturday with Stokes and Mbayo in for Gallagher and Crighton, makes sense to me. Obviously with Gallagher out there was an open space on the bench and I have to say I'm a bit surprised to see Hughes fill it over Pyott. Pyott is 21 (older than MacDonald, McCann, O'Reilly, Ritchie, Robert, and Connell) and seemingly nowhere near the starting lineup. Surely at some point you've got to question why he was kept on if he's behind even 17 year old James Hughes in the pecking order.

If I remember correctly, I'm sure Pyott was meant to go out on loan around Christmas/January time but got injured. Perhaps that's still the case? I don't recall seeing him play before but he was signed up pretty early on, even before Roy, so the club must see something in him. James Hughes is meant to be highly regarded though he's obviously very young (if he's good enough he's old enough though as the adage goes). Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Walker head out on loan at some point. 

17 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Glad to see Hutton in goals, deserves a continued run,  is Currie an upgrade...

I do think Currie is an upgrade, at the very least he's got more games in front of him than he does behind him unlike Hutton, but I'll always be a big fan of Hutton so I'm happy for either of them to be in goals really. 

If I remember correctly, I'm sure Pyott was meant to go out on loan around Christmas/January time but got injured. Perhaps that's still the case? I don't recall seeing him play before but he was signed up pretty early on, even before Roy, so the club must see something in him. James Hughes is meant to be highly regarded though he's obviously very young (if he's good enough he's old enough though as the adage goes). Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Walker head out on loan at some point. 

Didn't realise Pyott had picked up a bad injury, that might explain it.

5 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Personally i'd rather play a stornger team on saturday against livi, i think tonights a perfect chance to rotate a bit. Just my opinion! Can see why you'd rather keep the same starting 11 from 

Henderson always been a danger, we are back to our usual, hope we can pick up, 

Stokes has actually looked pretty good but I'm still not convinced he's a striker, all the good stuff he's done has been dropping deep and linking play. Could work if Connell and Carrick run ahead to fill in the gap but surely it'd be better to just play one of them up top and have Stokes deeper.

That was a frustrating first half. Created some good chances here and there either but have either chosen the wrong option or our first touch or passing has been really slack. A real lack of movement off the ball too. In live time looked like we were denied a stonewall penalty in fairness. Need to settle the play down. 

Pish, shouldn't be getting beat by a L2 team, especially with only a couple of first team changes.

- Awful officiating.
- Usual problem of being far too slack at the start of the game, losing a goal then hopelessly chasing the game without any sort of capability regarding breaking down the other team who just sit back and break up play.
- Need to be willing to kick players when playing teams like that and take a couple of cards.
- Need to move and look for the ball.
- Playing the ball back when you have no options to move forward doesn't solve the problem that there are no options to move the ball forward, because they aren't going to materialise, as players are not making space.
- WTF was that passback by Mbayo?
- If Kerr wants to take shots from back there, he needs to get on the practice ground and work on keeping it down.
- That's £10 and 2 hours I'm not getting back

Edited by G_H

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

What a pathetic result. We are pitifully easy to defend against as soon as we go a goal behind. Same old story. 

It's been our Achilles heal for many seasons playing at home,  how many 1 nil defeats have we picked up.     I

We are a  counter attacking side and saturday showed how ruthless we can be.   goal down we struggle big time.....  o Reilly and Thomson not of th e required standard for a promotion chasing side...

No experienced striker, that's what beat us, 3 times as many shots and62%of the play, nobody  capable of grabingthe game by scruff of the neck and driving us on , once again the manger must take blame, he thinks he can win games without strikers , poor result and another poor performance, and a waste of £10

12 minutes ago, G_H said:

Pish, shouldn't be getting beat by a L2 team, especially with only a couple of first team changes.

- Awful officiating.
- Usual problem of being far too slack at the start of the game, losing a goal then hopelessly chasing the game without any sort of capability regarding breaking down the other team who just sit back and break up play.
- Need to be willing to kick players when playing teams like that and take a couple of cards.
- Need to move and look for the ball.
- Playing the ball back when you have no options to move forward doesn't solve the problem that there are no options to move the ball forward, because they aren't going to materialise, as players are not making space.
- WTF was that passback by Mbayo?
- If Kerr wants to take shots from back there, he needs to get on the practice ground and work on keeping it down.
- That's £10 and 2 hours I'm not getting back

Hard to disagree and with that number of chances we really needed a finisher ; he was out with a knock but to take off Connell who is a striker seemed a typical Murray decision. Could not see if it was a penalty but surely we can't rely on that. We seemed to be asleep at the corner /goal but Pixi Lott gives you no chance to react ( or maybe I don't know what to do with that recording symbol) . Robert got some right old fashioned treatment and as you say maybe we needed Crighton at the start to sort out someone. Mbayo looks very average as a defender and his pass back was so scary. Hutton made a great save to keep it at 1 , and their goalie did the same later on. This Right said Fred cup is certainly not our priority but it is worrying how we can't convert when we get the few openings.  I see that Stranraer beat Hamilton so maybe L2 sides are not much behind any team in a one off.  More of my WFA gone and should I give Livi some financial help?

14 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Who's going to take one for the team and spend £15 to watch the Livi game on Saturday to let us all know how it goes?

Passing on this, don't think I could endure 2 aneurysm inducing performances like today's in the same week.

6 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

No experienced striker, that's what beat us, 3 times as many shots and62%of the play, nobody  capable of grabingthe game by scruff of the neck and driving us on , once again the manger must take blame, he thinks he can win games without strikers , poor result and another poor performance, and a waste of £10

Going back to last season, we could have signed Blair Henderson but SM was advised by our physio he was high risk due to persistent injury...  So we signed Ally Roy instead..

15 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

It does make you wonder, and I don't know his personal circumstances that may have swayed his decision, but maybe we should have pushed the boat out to sign Andy Ryan? A natural goalscorer, a striker who can create and covert chances for himself (and who's a good footballer too) and a striker who turns draws and defeats into wins. No harm to them but the combined wages of Burke, Moore, Walker, Hughes and Pyott would surely have been better spent on Ryan or A.N. other striker (plus the offer they'd have received obviously) considering none of them are likely to play for the club this season or any time soon.