The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

Quality won out in the end I suppose but other teams will be watching and see how easy it is to run with the ball along the box and find the net r.e Partick and now Livi.

I know it was £15 pounds for the stream but having seen a few others rather than our own it seems obvious that we went for the 'basic package' and have the resultant poor coverage.

Surely we have now not settled on just following the ball...I for one would pay another pound or two for properly synced commentary, human videography (with zoom) and highlights which add tremendously to the whole experience.

I think it will depend how long it will be until fans get back in. The current setup is okay for a short while. If it's going to be long term I think it would need to improve to keep/attract viewers.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

On reflection I think the first half and that opening goal were a good performance. I am never sure about 3-5-2  but it did it's job until the equaliser. Certainly Forrest has scored these  kind of goals before but we seemed to have two guys not quite blocking his shot. Maybe we relaxed a bit having scored  and the penalty mix up did not help. Their big guy was not really a  threat until we had to open up to try and force an equaliser. Largely caught on counter attack as spaces open up for Devlin especially. They seemed able to ride some of our tackles but I suppose that is the level they play at. Connell got a knock and to see us have Craig Thomson  as our CF was novel to say the least. We did have stuff going into the box but no break back into the game. It's not the worst I have seen from Airdrie at Livingston ( nor Broomfield) but it was kinda predictable. Both Sabatini and Robert put in a shift ( as they all did) which bodes well but we need a big guy up front a la Livi!  On to the real McCoy now-Forfar only lose narrowly to Cove so it will be tough. Much better streaming as well -what a zoom and replay can do. 

Always good assessment I wasn't to fussed about todays game as the next couple of games will show where we are however that said the minute we come up against a team with a bit more quality we get shown up a bit so onwards to Forfar ♦️

Dont normally take whats going on in League One.But your boys if they can get your act together can have a real go at this.Like Livi yes weve punched above our weight. But maybe the scoreline flattetrd us today. Like us,1000seater stadiums dont Guarentee ultimate succses. White elephant comes to mind. Your no.longer a sleeping giant. The people of north Lanarkshire have to get behind yous.Wish yous well. 👍 

1 hour ago, Stevo1968 said:

McKay in midfield and Kerr in the back 3, kerr done well against a bit CF and McKay filled a jersey and nothing more!

There was, in the 2nd half, , one delicious pass inside the full back by Dale Carrick and that is something you rarely see from our CB midfielder(s).  Mind you it never led to a  goal Sabatini can do it, but Murray seems to favour a runner/athlete rather than a football player. The score was a wee bit hard on us but they scored their chances whilst we got there but failed again. It's the League that matters so today does not need too much concern. 

9 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

There was, in the 2nd half, , one delicious pass inside the full back by Dale Carrick and that is something you rarely see from our CB midfielder(s).  Mind you it never led to a  goal Sabatini can do it, but Murray seems to favour a runner/athlete rather than a football player. The score was a wee bit hard on us but they scored their chances whilst we got there but failed again. It's the League that matters so today does not need too much concern. 

I remember that pass from Carrick but can’t agree with what you say about sabatini, I think he’s very overrated by our support maybe because of the foreign name it bringing excitement but he barely passes forward and takes more touches than he needs most times..  

Best I’ve seen Robert play though and it was more of a central role!

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

No argument there, 

Trying to be a little more constructive, let's be honest Millar and Murray are going knowhere..

We certainly don't look  a side who will win the league,  a lot of fans think we should, due to the players we signed in the close season. Have they improved us..

Currie.....  Highly rated,   not seen anything special is he better than hutts.

Mbayo.......  Signed as a backup,  don't expect to see him much, average

Sabatini......  Good tidy player, before the season I thought he was attacking mid going by his clips,  very defensive minded, has the club been caught out especially with Kerr playing defensive mid also....

O Reilly.......   Poor, don't know why he was resigned, offers nothing,  we do not have time and games to burn on projects like him..

Stokes.......  Talented player if played. In a no 10, role definite not a striker,   Murray does not play. With a 10 so as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike...

Robert......   Definitely the jewel in the crown, wildly inconsistent and will be frustrating , our slim chances rely on this kid to produce..

Connell.......   Young kid another highly rated, hasn't impressed so far,  as a club surely  we had to strengthen with proven quality if we had ambitions of the title, all this West Ham striker talk never materialized, did this upset our plans or was the whole thing a red herring...

We have a decent nucleus Hutts, Crighton, Fordyce, McCann at the back even they have struggled this season. MacDonald struggles defensively and we might need to replace him to move forward, Kerr good player, Why make him a midfielder as said previously, we don't have time or games for a project,   McKay waste of a jersey, up front Carrick and Gallagher wi!l score , but not enough....

It's easy to say sack Murray,  did he sign the players......  Did he let his assistant go and replace him ....  He is the only qualified coach out with Stuart Millar, is there any wonder we are largely inconsistent and not meeting supporters expectations...

41 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Trying to be a little more constructive, let's be honest Millar and Murray are going knowhere..

We certainly don't look  a side who will win the league,  a lot of fans think we should, due to the players we signed in the close season. Have they improved us..

Currie.....  Highly rated,   not seen anything special is he better than hutts.

Mbayo.......  Signed as a backup,  don't expect to see him much, average

Sabatini......  Good tidy player, before the season I thought he was attacking mid going by his clips,  very defensive minded, has the club been caught out especially with Kerr playing defensive mid also....

O Reilly.......   Poor, don't know why he was resigned, offers nothing,  we do not have time and games to burn on projects like him..

Stokes.......  Talented player if played. In a no 10, role definite not a striker,   Murray does not play. With a 10 so as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike...

Robert......   Definitely the jewel in the crown, wildly inconsistent and will be frustrating , our slim chances rely on this kid to produce..

Connell.......   Young kid another highly rated, hasn't impressed so far,  as a club surely  we had to strengthen with proven quality if we had ambitions of the title, all this West Ham striker talk never materialized, did this upset our plans or was the whole thing a red herring...

We have a decent nucleus Hutts, Crighton, Fordyce, McCann at the back even they have struggled this season. MacDonald struggles defensively and we might need to replace him to move forward, Kerr good player, Why make him a midfielder as said previously, we don't have time or games for a project,   McKay waste of a jersey, up front Carrick and Gallagher wi!l score , but not enough....

It's easy to say sack Murray,  did he sign the players......  Did he let his assistant go and replace him ....  He is the only qualified coach out with Stuart Millar, is there any wonder we are largely inconsistent and not meeting supporters expectations...

You have got to think manager was involved in signing players, funny  how some players that leave seem to play better for new manager , maybe having a game plan helps them  , over the past 2 - 3 years we just have not improved  one bit, big punts, high balls, players crowding the box at corners, no out ball, can you take a long throw in then we will sign you, 

20 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

I remember that pass from Carrick but can’t agree with what you say about sabatini, I think he’s very overrated by our support maybe because of the foreign name it bringing excitement but he barely passes forward and takes more touches than he needs most times..  

Best I’ve seen Robert play though and it was more of a central role!

All in an opinion indeed and maybe I just meant Sabatini can keep the play going.  Of all our possible midfielders, and that is one of our problems, he is the most competent.  .  Robert was very good yesterday.  

In the past couple of games or so I can see the nucleus of a side who will almost certainly be in the top half of the league at the end of the season. However, at the start of  it all I said that most matches would be tight and quality in the forward line would probably decide many games. This is now starting to show big time...for the life of me I cannot understand how the club thought that they could compete with clubs who are far more potent in terms of their ability to hurt sides. We still seem to be relying on 'getting  results" from set pieces and good fortune from kindly  'breaks' in the box. I for one am losing patience with it all....if the Cove game turns out to be how I think then many fans are going to be 'turning off'.

12 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

In the past couple of games or so I can see the nucleus of a side who will almost certainly be in the top half of the league at the end of the season. However, at the start of  it all I said that most matches would be tight and quality in the forward line would probably decide many games. This is now starting to show big time...for the life of me I cannot understand how the club thought that they could compete with clubs who are far more potent in terms of their ability to hurt sides. We still seem to be relying on 'getting  results" from set pieces and good fortune from kindly  'breaks' in the box. I for one am losing patience with it all....if the Cove game turns out to be how I think then many fans are going to be 'turning off'.

Past couple of games results say bottom half of league, unless we bring in a decent experienced midfielder and a experienced striker my opinion for what it's worth we will be lucky to win more than we lose , 

Not to be unduly positive but if Falkirk beat Cove, we beat Forfar and Cove, and Montrose fail to beat either Clyde or Partick Thistle we'll be top of the league in 14 days. I've been mostly disappointed like many people thus far but it's still so early and nothing is set in stone yet. I'm also not sure it's fair to judge our season based on league cup games, although the performance against Edinburgh City was very disappointing

I can see both sides of the arguement if I'm honest.  It's unfair to judge solely on the league cup "campaign/debacle" choose whichever. I genuinely couldn't give a f*ck about the Betfred cup, it's sh*te and maybe the players thought that too.

The Clyde game aside, it's been hit and mostly miss so far this season, Dumbarton result was a sickener and the partick game could easily have been 2-1 either way but a draw would have been fair.  The leagues far too tight to call this year which means every point is a prisoner and I'd happily take 1-0 terrible wins for the rest of the season, bit the flip side of that, is a couple of good signings/loans could make all the difference in what looks like a league crying out for someone to grab it by the scruff of the neck and set the bar.  I'll wait until we've played everyone once and decide then, bit at the moment I'm 50/50.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I thought Murray saying we don’t have a big squad here was interesting, we probably have the biggest squad in the league! Admittedly we’re a bit light up front just now with Gallagher and Roy out but plenty of options elsewhere, even if some of those options aren’t great. 

What? lol. We literally have a squad of 25 players (-2 on loan), which is the standard squad size for leagues that have teams register a squad before their seasons start.

Maybe if he didn't keep on kids that he has no interest in fielding in a critical season?

Edited by G_H

9 minutes ago, G_H said:

What? lol. We literally have a squad of 25 players (-2 on loan), which is the standard squad size for leagues that have teams register a squad before their seasons start.

Maybe if he didn't keep on kids that he has no interest in fielding in a critical season?

That's the kicker for me, a squad of 25 with about 8 of those who really don't have much of a chance (or won't get 1) at first team action.

I'd rather have used they 8 wages to upgrade 2 or 3 of the first 11 and run with a squad of 18-19

6 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That's the kicker for me, a squad of 25 with about 8 of those who really don't have much of a chance (or won't get 1) at first team action.

I'd rather have used they 8 wages to upgrade 2 or 3 of the first 11 and run with a squad of 18-19

Aye, quality over quantity every time, could release 6of them, is there not some out on loan as well,