The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

10 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yes it's fair to say that vast majority would like to have kept him, probably including me. He's only 27 which shocked me as i thought he looked and played as if he was older. 

Cheers. Seems like a solid signing. Would imagine Ryan will stick to the penalties. 

31 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Very happy with our recruitment. You’re right, we aren’t very good (well last season, anyway). Injuries didn’t help but Andy Ryan is far too good for League 2. Absolute stand out. Happy with the Carrick signing. Did you not want to keep him? 

He wasn’t on our initial list of released players so I assume there was some interest in keeping him, but perhaps Stirling’s offer was more concrete or favourable. He’s one the fans wanted to keep anyway. He’s not in the same league as Ryan in terms of finishing or goal scoring but he’s an excellent footballer. Hard-working but very good on the ball also. At his best either upfront or playing on the left-hand side. And like I said he’s not necessarily a natural goal scorer but he’s not a slouch in that department either. 

18 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Seen we’ve renewed with Umbro and FN Teamwear. Are we keeping the same kits next season or getting new ones? Noticed all the current kits are on a clear out sale, so I assume new ones next season?

Will be hard to top this season’s home and away efforts but good riddance to that yellow monstrosity! 

6 hours ago, Mr November said:

Fordyce for me as well, two seasons in a row. A lot of our players had good spells either side of the break, Fordyce is the only player who’s consistently put in good performances throughout the season. 

The full list from the club was a reminder of how many marginal guys were in the squad, and I also chose  Fordyce. I am not sure but he must have been the "most minutes" on the park, as well as being an excellent CB.

8 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The full list from the club was a reminder of how many marginal guys were in the squad, and I also chose  Fordyce. I am not sure but he must have been the "most minutes" on the park, as well as being an excellent CB.

I might have missed something but I think he’s started every competitive game since he joined and played every minute this season. The only games he didn’t finish last season were the 2-2 draw against Stranraer where he was subbed in the last ten minutes and the 1-0 defeat to Raith Rovers in Kirkcaldy where he was sent off late on, though the red card was appealed and rescinded. To have played that many minutes while also being our most consistent and best player over that time is very impressive. I know he already covered when Crighton was out but he seems a great shout for our new captain if he signs a new contract. 

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

I might have missed something but I think he’s started every competitive game since he joined and played every minute this season. The only games he didn’t finish last season were the 2-2 draw against Stranraer where he was subbed in the last ten minutes and the 1-0 defeat to Raith Rovers in Kirkcaldy where he was sent off late on, though the red card was appealed and rescinded. To have played that many minutes while also being our most consistent and best player over that time is very impressive. I know he already covered when Crighton was out but he seems a great shout for our new captain if he signs a new contract. 

Thanks for confirming my first guess. I know it was a short season but it's a great record by him. If he signs he would be my Captain. ( Was that almost a quote from Dead Poets Society?)

48 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

He wasn’t on our initial list of released players so I assume there was some interest in keeping him, but perhaps Stirling’s offer was more concrete or favourable. He’s one the fans wanted to keep anyway. He’s not in the same league as Ryan in terms of finishing or goal scoring but he’s an excellent footballer. Hard-working but very good on the ball also. At his best either upfront or playing on the left-hand side. And like I said he’s not necessarily a natural goal scorer but he’s not a slouch in that department either. 

Will be hard to top this season’s home and away efforts but good riddance to that yellow monstrosity! 

That yellow one was probably the only recently top I haven’t bought…..since that pink puma one!

Crighton and Carrick departures now seem justified as they have moved down a level despite most fans a tad disappointed.

Our aim next season has obviously got be promotion therefore we have to have  a mixture of 6 or seven good league 1 players but supplemented by 4 or 5 Championship standard players  or we will again probably fall short.

4 or 5 Kyle Turners wins League 1 and he might have been the only Airdrie player who would have got in the Morton side.

It's all about the budget and recruitment!

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Crighton and Carrick departures now seem justified as they have moved down a level despite most fans a tad disappointed.

Our aim next season has obviously got be promotion therefore we have to have  a mixture of 6 or seven good league 1 players but supplemented by 4 or 5 Championship standard players  or we will again probably fall short.

4 or 5 Kyle Turners wins League 1 and he might have been the only Airdrie player who would have got in the Morton side.

It's all about the budget and recruitment!

Add Thommo to that list now too - has joined Forfar.

12 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Add Thommo to that list now too - has joined Forfar.

Crighton, Thomson, Roy and other guys who never featured were on the initial "moving on" statement so it appears Murray wanted to keep Carrick. Again it's a player moving down the spiral.

20 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

What sort of player are we getting with Thomson?

He’s very quick and direct, likes to get the ball down and run with it. His end product is quite hit and miss, he popped up with some vital assists and goals this season but he just doesn’t do that consistently enough. I suppose that’s why he’s at this level though, as if he could combine his physical attributes with consistent output he’d be an excellent player. I think he’ll do well at League Two level. His best games tended to be when coming on as an impact sub and I’d have been happy enough for him to stick around in that role for us. 

It is interesting that Crighton, Thomson and Carrick, probably three of the players who’ve left that fans generally would have been fine with keeping, have all dropped down a level. It was the same last season too with Kurtis Roberts and Kieran Millar. I suspect it’s more a case of the budgets between part-time clubs not being too different but all of these guys did a job for us and I’d have been fine with all of them staying at the time of them leaving but it probably does show a need for us to upgrade on them if we want promotion.

10 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I feel massively left out of all this new signings business!

As several of the Diamonds fans predicted there was going to be a big turnover of players this summer for you. Very interested to see who Ian Murray goes for, for replacements/upgrades to Carrick, Crighton, Paton, Thomson etc. Hopefully a few more the calibre of Kyle Turner 👌

Think Robert will go this summer? Would you keep him or want to see him move on?

Edited by CoveRangers1922

I hope this goes better than the last time we signed several East Fife players.

I think that’s a decent signing if he’s Crighton’s replacement but hopefully we’re able to keep Kerr and Fordyce as I think they’re both a level above Watson from what I’ve seen.

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’ve just had a look at Watson’s twitter and his latest tweet is him applauding Matthijs de Ligt being an anti-vaxxer :lol: 

FS 😐

Yeah I agree with all the other comments. With Crighton leaving we needed another centre-half anyway and I see him as his replacement more than anything else. I think he can also play right-back too (?) so helpful in that regard. 

21 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I hope this goes better than the last time we signed several East Fife players.

I think that’s a decent signing if he’s Crighton’s replacement but hopefully we’re able to keep err and Fordyce as I think they’re both a level above Watson from what I’ve seen.

One player I'm glad we dumped .