The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Frizzell and Rae’s injuries this season could get in the way of a potential move to a higher division, but there’s enough quality to warrant a good move. McCabe and Fordyce I’d expect to stay on as manager and assistant. Telfer has had some good performances but realistically hasn’t done enough to warrant a move to the Championship based on his time with us and Falkirk, although you never know. As has been mentioned, Gallagher is part time so we’re maybe the team that suits him best. The real worry for me would be Smith. Hard for me to see what keeps him at League One Airdrie and I think him going to Raith Rovers is quite likely (Murray and Fife being the main two factors). Will be sad to see him go as he’s probably been my favourite player of the last 5 years.

Of others not mentioned, I think McGill could potentially have a Championship offer. He done well last season but his season was interrupted with injuries. This year he’s improved in my opinion, and he’s still only 22. Euan Deveney has consistently improved over the season as well and is still very young. It’s possible that there’d be interest in him.

47 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Frizzell and Rae’s injuries this season could get in the way of a potential move to a higher division, but there’s enough quality to warrant a good move. McCabe and Fordyce I’d expect to stay on as manager and assistant. Telfer has had some good performances but realistically hasn’t done enough to warrant a move to the Championship based on his time with us and Falkirk, although you never know. As has been mentioned, Gallagher is part time so we’re maybe the team that suits him best. The real worry for me would be Smith. Hard for me to see what keeps him at League One Airdrie and I think him going to Raith Rovers is quite likely (Murray and Fife being the main two factors). Will be sad to see him go as he’s probably been my favourite player of the last 5 years.

Of others not mentioned, I think McGill could potentially have a Championship offer. He done well last season but his season was interrupted with injuries. This year he’s improved in my opinion, and he’s still only 22. Euan Deveney has consistently improved over the season as well and is still very young. It’s possible that there’d be interest in him.

Can't work out why we are still in this division with all the good players we have ,

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Of others not mentioned, I think McGill could potentially have a Championship offer

If you suggest this to any Dunfermline fan they will think you're stark raving bonkers. 

15 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Saw this on twitter, for anyone that's a fan of retro kits. I think they'll be an announcement about this pretty soon. That home kit is stunning.

Screenshot_20230303_180221_Chrome.jpg

Remember them first time round,   The home one was released late (surprises) played a few games at start of season with red shirts, black shorts , nice kit,  The white speckled one is definitely not a favourite,  I see a few clubs are signing up for a retro range..   Don't think personally we will get involved in that..   Especially with the leisure range umbro have...

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

If you suggest this to any Dunfermline fan they will think you're stark raving bonkers. 

Yup, 100%. Slow, cumbersome and offered no goal threat. 

It's also possible that players actually improve, so without having seen him properly since he left its not out of the realm of possibility.

On 01/03/2023 at 13:22, Kenny_m said:

I doubt ATS will start, in fact I don't believe he will start another game this season unless we're decimated by injuries and/or suspensions. Got a feeling he will give Byrd a chance at centre back before him, but not this Saturday.

Earlier than I thought but interesting to see how he does.

30 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Yup, 100%. Slow, cumbersome and offered no goal threat. 

It's also possible that players actually improve, so without having seen him properly since he left its not out of the realm of possibility.

He's actually turned into a decent finisher, took his 2 goals against dunfermline really well. Also to be fair to him we were still winning when he got took off that game.

Doesn’t look like we’ll be in the playoffs come the end of the season at this rate. Given where we’ve been over the last few seasons, especially last season, and given that we are one of four teams (ourselves, Dunfermline, Falkirk, QOTS?) that employ full time footballers in this division, that’s a massive failure. Nowhere near good enough.

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds

Season's already over for me so not going to mention the obvious negatives from today.

I know young Byrd struggled a bit at times today but in fairness was up against best striker in the league in his first start, i think he's shown enough potential that we should persevere with him as he gets match fit because i think if he just bulks up a bit he could be a really good player for us.

Also thought Dean McMaster was easily our best player today when he came on. Certainly wouldn't be opposed to him starting next week and allowing McCabe to manage from the sidelines.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Season's already over for me so not going to mention the obvious negatives from today.

I know young Byrd struggled a bit at times today but in fairness was up against best striker in the league in his first start, i think he's shown enough potential that we should persevere with him as he gets match fit because i think if he just bulks up a bit he could be a really good player for us.

Also thought Dean McMaster was easily our best player today when he came on. Certainly wouldn't be opposed to him starting next week and allowing McCabe to manage from the sidelines.

Yeh Lachie had a bit of a mare and probably at fault for the first 2 goals, although not just him. He needs to use his physical attributes better but i would persevere with him and it's the only way he'll improve.

Putting aside the managerial stuff for a second, what exactly is McCabe meant to be offering in the middle of the park?

He doesn't have the legs that we need in there with Frizzell and Telfer, doesn't have the physicality either, and offers very little on the ball. He was great last year at the back but I was always unconvinced by the shouts to get him back in midfield. His career trajectory in that position already suggested he wasn't a good option there, and what I've seen this season confirms that. McMaster was much better when he came on at what we need in there, someone to nip in front of players and win second balls. Him sitting out a few games might not only fix the problem of having no-one on the sidelines, but might also improve the midfield.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Putting aside the managerial stuff for a second, what exactly is McCabe meant to be offering in the middle of the park?

He doesn't have the legs that we need in there with Frizzell and Telfer, doesn't have the physicality either, and offers very little on the ball. He was great last year at the back but I was always unconvinced by the shouts to get him back in midfield. His career trajectory in that position already suggested he wasn't a good option there, and what I've seen this season confirms that. McMaster was much better when he came on at what we need in there, someone to nip in front of players and win second balls. Him sitting out a few games might not only fix the problem of having no-one on the sidelines, but might also improve the midfield.

McCabe is the ultimate target being the manager but Byrd got bullied for the 1st goal and showed his lack of experience.

Deveney (who also had a mare) was easily beat for the 2nd followed by Byrd  allowing attacker to get across him.

And Frizzell made an individual error for the 3rd.

I'm not suggesting McCabe was great but these were the issues that ultimately cost us the game.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

McCabe is the ultimate target being the manager but Byrd got bullied for the 1st goal and showed his lack of experience.

Deveney (who also had a mare) was easily beat for the 2nd followed by Byrd  allowing attacker to get across him.

And Frizzell made an individual error for the 3rd.

I'm not suggesting McCabe was great but these were the issues that ultimately cost us the game.

That's all self-evident, my question was a more general one about McCabe's role this season.

I disagree McCabe has been a target in a playing sense, there's questions about his management obviously but that clearly wasn't my point. I know we lack options in midfield but I think our midfield is the primary cause of a lot of our issues. Players run through our midfield so easily and a big part of that is our deepest midfielder cannot go with those players. Or he drops too deep to compensate which then leaves a vacant space in front of the back line.