The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Ian Murray and PH did, they signed him.

They also signed Rico Quitongo and Sam Wardrop, so full backs maybe aren't their area of expertise.

Anyway, my point is more about who didn't sign him, if he was genuinely that good why did no-one else want him at a higher level? Presuming that he didn't turn down moves to the Championship, which he may have but seems unlikely.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t really disagree with you TBH. I was being deliberately glib. 

I get your point but if a coach/manager has to tell someone to go with a runner in the 6 yard box then it's the player who's responsible. 

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

They also signed Rico Quitongo and Sam Wardrop, so full backs maybe aren't their area of expertise.

Anyway, my point is more about who didn't sign him, if he was genuinely that good why did no-one else want him at a higher level? Presuming that he didn't turn down moves to the Championship, which he may have but seems unlikely.

Thistle were rumoured after he had already signed for us, but of course unlikely we'll ever know.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Apologies Jake if the information provided is factually incorrect at this time, ( past client).

Mistakes happen when i follow the worst full time club at this time  in Scottish football ( I hope that's right)

Yes right with last statement,

44 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

To be fair, there was plenty of talk that he turned down Championship teams last summer and that a two year deal plus us paying for his coaching badges was a big factor in him signing. 

I’ve said it before but he reminds me of Chris O’Neil at times. He’s often caught on the wrong side of an attacker and relies on pace and slide tackles to save himself. That was less of an issue in a well drilled Montrose team but he can be very exposed with the way we play. Pound for pound one of the most disappointing signings we’ve had in a while though.

24 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Harsh on Ballantyne compared to likes of Sabatini, James Daly, Thomas Robert, Joe Gorman and Taylor Morgan.

Oh he’s not the worst by any means, just disappointing given he’s on a two year deal, probably a good wage and we had high expectations. He’s nowhere near a contender to join that lot.

15 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Don't want to be picky but since Montrose came up to league 1 they've finished above us once.

We’ve had better teams in every season other than the first one to be fair. I mean the style of play and organisation more than anything else. Montrose have plenty of good players but I do think them being a cohesive unit has been the main reason for their success over the last five years or so. He wouldn’t be the first player to do well in that Montrose team, move elsewhere and not hit the same heights.

54 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Perhaps wrong again, info received I believe Queens of the South technically carry the banner of worst full time club at this time,  hopefully our friend Jake can confirm..

Didn't look it yesterday

Why are having a go at Byrd, it was his first start for the club, and in my opinion, he played well, yes, he made a few mistakes, but who didn't, Frizzell made a mistake and he is our best player (again, in my opinion!)

Byrd is being blamed for the first goal, but as the corner is taken he is marking a man on the edge of the 6-yard box. The person marking the goal-scorer was Rhys McCabe, the goalscorer and another QOS player, left McCabe to run to the near post, and McCabe simply let them go. Byrd saw the danger too late and made a late attempt to get to them, but was too late. Sorry, not his fault.

I won't try to defend him for the second goal, but here there were a few others that were also at fault.

Byrd had a difficult introduction having to mark a prolific striker, and the striker did not score, so in my opinion, he fulfilled his primary task for the match. He is still young and has potential, cut him a bit of slack guys.

12 minutes ago, Sage Monkey said:

Why are having a go at Byrd, it was his first start for the club, and in my opinion, he played well, yes, he made a few mistakes, but who didn't, Frizzell made a mistake and he is our best player (again, in my opinion!)

Byrd is being blamed for the first goal, but as the corner is taken he is marking a man on the edge of the 6-yard box. The person marking the goal-scorer was Rhys McCabe, the goalscorer and another QOS player, left McCabe to run to the near post, and McCabe simply let them go. Byrd saw the danger too late and made a late attempt to get to them, but was too late. Sorry, not his fault.

I won't try to defend him for the second goal, but here there were a few others that were also at fault.

Byrd had a difficult introduction having to mark a prolific striker, and the striker did not score, so in my opinion, he fulfilled his primary task for the match. He is still young and has potential, cut him a bit of slack guys.

Must be worth a punt again ,it's not as if our defence didn't leak goals when he was on bench , 

9 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

McCabe is marking QOS No 8 who peels off to the edge of the box although being kind to Byrd you could say it was a foul by QOS No 35 who blocked him off and let the scorer get free, got to be stronger though. I did say earlier I would persevere with him as he has the physical attributes to be a success but definitely needs game time.

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

McCabe is marking QOS No 8 who peels off to the edge of the box although being kind to Byrd you could say it was a foul by QOS No 35 who blocked him off and let the scorer get free, got to be stronger though. I did say earlier I would persevere with him as he has the physical attributes to be a success but definitely needs game time.

I am not sure quite who McCabe is marking, there are two men within arms reach when the ball is kicked. McCabe can't mark both, and as manager, he ought to be calling someone else in to support him. Not only does he not do that, he drops off, leaving BOTH men free, and one of them scores.

I am not having a go at McCabe, just using this as another example that everyone makes mistakes, and you have got to expect more mistakes from younger players. We need to persevere with these kids, give them more than just one game.  A lot of people have been begging for an improvement at the back, give Byrd a chance, he just might be what we need.

Another thing is that we need to start planning for next season now, I doubt we will get promotion, we are just too inconsistent, even if we make the play-offs, which I seriously doubt, I cannot see us beating the other teams over 180 minutes, we are simply bound to have a spell where we let in three goals in 20 minutes, killing our chances.

One final note, you certainly get entertainment following the Diamonds these days, sadly much of it is heartbreaking, but we get more than our fair share of goals, just wish more were into the opposing net.

Never mind all this talk of players, formations, tactics and whether we will go up or not...the main and most pressing question this morning must surely be if Jim Milton will pour his own drinks in Hospitality on Saturday seeing as he has scooped a prize in the community draw?! These are the burning questions, the things that will make or break our great club...😝  

3 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

I am not sure quite who McCabe is marking, there are two men within arms reach when the ball is kicked. McCabe can't mark both, and as manager, he ought to be calling someone else in to support him. Not only does he not do that, he drops off, leaving BOTH men free, and one of them scores.

I am not having a go at McCabe, just using this as another example that everyone makes mistakes, and you have got to expect more mistakes from younger players. We need to persevere with these kids, give them more than just one game.  A lot of people have been begging for an improvement at the back, give Byrd a chance, he just might be what we need.

Another thing is that we need to start planning for next season now, I doubt we will get promotion, we are just too inconsistent, even if we make the play-offs, which I seriously doubt, I cannot see us beating the other teams over 180 minutes, we are simply bound to have a spell where we let in three goals in 20 minutes, killing our chances.

One final note, you certainly get entertainment following the Diamonds these days, sadly much of it is heartbreaking, but we get more than our fair share of goals, just wish more were into the opposing net.

Gallagher is on Brydon who blocks off Byrd who is marking the scorer. QOS will be delighted that their training ground move has come off but looking at it again it's definitely a foul but one you will seldom get. Learning curve for Lachie but we'll agree to disagree..

I do concur that Byrd should be given a run in the side as it seems to me that if Fordyce doesn't get his head to crosses,  then no one does. 

48 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Gallagher is on Brydon who blocks off Byrd who is marking the scorer. QOS will be delighted that their training ground move has come off but looking at it again it's definitely a foul but one you will seldom get. Learning curve for Lachie but we'll agree to disagree..

I do concur that Byrd should be given a run in the side as it seems to me that if Fordyce doesn't get his head to crosses,  then no one does. 

A lot to be said for Crighton after all,

Chrighton was certainly a 'stopper' and very good in the air. Unfortunately his abilities finished there. He found it very difficult to play out from the back and seemed lost outside of his own penalty box.

I do feel sorry for Fordyce somewhat as I feel that he has had to carry the back line all on his own with constant changes to playing partners and the lack of decent full backs to eliminate the constant crosses into the box. I'm pretty sure that almost every other side in the division would be glad to have him.

18 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

Chrighton was certainly a 'stopper' and very good in the air. Unfortunately his abilities finished there. He found it very difficult to play out from the back and seemed lost outside of his own penalty box.

I do feel sorry for Fordyce somewhat as I feel that he has had to carry the back line all on his own with constant changes to playing partners and the lack of decent full backs to eliminate the constant crosses into the box. I'm pretty sure that almost every other side in the division would be glad to have him.

Obviously that shipped has well sailed but I remember a Friday night game at East End park where we beat Dunfermline 1-0 on an extremely wet and windy night. Crighton & Lithgow were centre backs and Dunfermline bombarded us with high balls most of the 2nd half which both of them lapped up but yes, I still wouldn't mind an one old fashioned 6' 2" "heed the baw" centre back.