The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

20 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not really, we know we can hammer teams and have done numerous times, we can play great football. It's the other side of the game we lack when the going gets tough. As great as we were today, it's nothing we haven't already seen a few times this season.

Yip although Kelty seem to have a few issues at the moment.

Apparently their owner is off to Raith next season and Forster is missing from their squad amid rumours of a domestic with his wife. Higginbotham was also absent today and they appeared a right soft touch.

Didn’t see that result on the cards, was predicting a few goals but couldn’t pick a winner. Looking forward to seeing the goals back again later. Buzzing for Gabby, he’s got some finish on him. 

Crucial couple of weeks coming up now. Really has to be 6 points from 6 against Clyde & Peterhead going into the Alloa, Montrose games to give us a bit of a free hit against Falkirk and Dunfermline again.

4 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Same team starts next week for me. Ballantyne had one of us best games since he joined, definitely lose something in attack with him on the wrong side but he was still a threat down the wing and defended really well. McMaster offered more in the holding midfield role than McCabe has this season. He made a mistake when he gave away the penalty but other than that he was good. I’d rather have Devenny in the midfield than Telfer at the moment as well. I think at Telfer’s best he’d start but when he’s off his game you just get more from a guy like Devenny out of pure desire and commitment. Brilliant for Gabby to get a hat trick and Gallagher to score the best goal I’ve ever seen in person.

If McCabe gets back in the team it should be at centre half.

Agree that Ballantyne was great today but it can only ever be a temporary measure. (I've got a massive bee in my bonnet about right footed left/wing backs)

Just now, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Didn’t see that result on the cards, was predicting a few goals but couldn’t pick a winner. Looking forward to seeing the goals back again later. Buzzing for Gabby, he’s got some finish on him. 

Crucial couple of weeks coming up now. Really has to be 6 points from 6 against Clyde & Peterhead going into the Alloa, Montrose games to give us a bit of a free hit against Falkirk and Dunfermline again.

Alloa game already looks massive and whilst we can't take anything for granted, it will be disastrous if we don't collect the 6 points from our next 2 games.

That was fantastic today. I think that’s probably the most clinical we’ve been all season? We’ve battered teams plenty of times this season but I can’t remember us missing many clear chances today. Delighted for Gabby getting his hat-trick, he’s really kicked on since coming back from injury in the Dundee cup game. Gallagher’s goal was sublime and exactly the kind of thing he wasn’t able to do previously. I thought Gallagher was brilliant all game, his hold-up play and range of passing is much improved. You’d never guess he was the only one of our front three to never score a hat-trick for us though!

As others have said though, I don’t think we learned too much today. The defence looked a bit more solid and McMaster held his position much better than McCabe does but other than that, we know what this team are capable of. I actually thought Kelty started the game well and our goal was slightly against the run of play. The big test is still how we cope when things go against us but for now I’ll just enjoy us scoring six goals. When was the last time we did that in a league game (not counting the Montrose play-off), was it when we beat Dundee 7-0 about 17 years ago?

Fair fucking play to Dean McMaster. Was seen as a bit of a nothing midfielder by all of us I think, but, while it’s only one game, he gave exactly the sort of performance in midfield we’ve been needing all season. Held his position, won the ball and kept things ticking over. Thought the defence was as solid as it’s been in a long time too. Again, it’s only one game, but that’s probably our best combination of defenders? A brilliant, clinical performance with some cracking goals. Already can’t wait to watch Gal’s back! We won’t win 6-1 every week but hopefully we can put a run together now. Nice to see Devenny back involved as he’s a player I’ve always liked and nice to see Salim and Dixon(!!) actually make an appearance too. Credit to Gabby also for a well deserved hat-trick. Buzzing for him. Perhaps notably, another positive result when one of the management team has been in the dugout? Will be interesting to see what McCabe does when he’s back fully fit but that team has to start next week v Peterhead. 

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not really, we know we can hammer teams and have done numerous times, we can play great football. It's the other side of the game we lack when the going gets tough. As great as we were today, it's nothing we haven't already seen a few times this season.

I said it on the way home, but let’s see us do that after we concede first or face a bit of adversity please! 

Thought Taylor-Sinclair was very good at the back today, a few good performances but his calmness beside Fordyce was really good to see. Kelty keeper made another couple of cracking saves to keep the score down a wee bit. Goes a small bit towards getting some confidence back after the last few weeks 

25 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Well done Airdrie a proper humping the day , some clinical finishing from you guys and utter dugshite from us 

Considering how the first half hour went certainly not a result anyone expected.  One of the games for us to show what we are capable of.    Kelty started well and the fact the kept attacking gave us a bit more space to play.   Delighted with the result.   We just need to back it up nextweek against a team who will probably sit in a bit.     Kelty definitely not the worst team.  Cardle was excellent. 

Apologies for benching Ballantyne prediction, and it would be tight expectation..

But Watson and Ballantyne were excellent full backs in a solid defence, and did offer good attacking phases. 

Kelty Hearts started well but once we realised they'd miss Forster and Higgy, our maestro at centre, and a quality hard working and skillful midfield simply turned the game around. Converting chances finally got us ahead and Kelty looked stunned, despite some great saves from Jamieson.

Up tempo and top ranking from McMaster and as others have said, we win when one of our management team are on the bench. Great to hear Rhys telling Callum Smith just to f........ pass it, although Smith was excellent all game and deserved that goal. 

No guarantee that we will find Peterhead as open as Kelty but surely we can increase our goal difference again. I'd take three points mind you with a grinded out win .

Excellent Curry to complete a great day out. 

21 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Thought Taylor-Sinclair was very good at the back today, a few good performances but his calmness beside Fordyce was really good to see. Kelty keeper made another couple of cracking saves to keep the score down a wee bit. Goes a small bit towards getting some confidence back after the last few weeks 

I think if you looked across the season, the vast majority of Fordyce’s best games have been beside ATS. The big man has his faults but he’s always the calmest man on the park and is much less erratic than Watson or Byrd, which must be easier to play beside. It was his run (stroll) from defence that led to the first goal and his header that was saved for the rebound for the second, so he made an impact at both ends.

13 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think if you looked across the season, the vast majority of Fordyce’s best games have been beside ATS. The big man has his faults but he’s always the calmest man on the park and is much less erratic than Watson or Byrd, which must be easier to play beside. It was his run (stroll) from defence that led to the first goal and his header that was saved for the rebound for the second, so he made an impact at both ends.

ATS was doing pretty well I thought and was then dropped after the Dunfermline game which I thought was harsh, no way you could argue that he was more at fault in that game than anyone else.

The back 4 today had an average age of 28.5, the back 4 last week was 23. I think we need to be going with our most experienced back line, especially when our goalkeeper is only 22 aswell. Even more so if McCabe and/or Telfer aren't playing. McCabe mentioned after the game last week about players not talking enough and I'd imagine bringing in some older heads is one way he hopes to combat that at the back.

I like the mix much better today, experienced back line, more energy in midfield, and quality up front. It's a home game against a poor side so we can't read too much into it but it looks like a better recipe for success than last week's team anyway.

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

6-1 vs Kelty Hearts

5-0 vs Clyde

4-0 vs Montrose

4-0 vs Alloa

4-0 vs Falkirk

We've pumped exactly half of this division at home yet we find ourselves 5th in the league, that is madness 😄

Mental as anything indeed.

The sign of insanity : doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. 

Be good to repeat a few more of those scores in last quarter.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

ATS was doing pretty well I thought and was then dropped after the Dunfermline game which I thought was harsh, no way you could argue that he was more at fault in that game than anyone else.

The back 4 today had an average age of 28.5, the back 4 last week was 23. I think we need to be going with our most experienced back line, especially when our goalkeeper is only 22 aswell. Even more so if McCabe and/or Telfer aren't playing. McCabe mentioned after the game last week about players not talking enough and I'd imagine bringing in some older heads is one way he hopes to combat that at the back.

I like the mix much better today, experienced back line, more energy in midfield, and quality up front. It's a home game against a poor side so we can't read too much into it but it looks like a better recipe for success than last week's team anyway.

Yeah we were saying today that’s as experienced a defence as you’ll get at this level without any of them being geriatric. For all the talk of us being a young squad, if you add McCabe and Telfer into that team for McMaster and Devenny (not saying we should) then that’s actually a very experienced team. 

I like Deveney but he’s had a poor few weeks and has notably struggled against Agyeman every time he’s came up against him, so moving the defence around made sense. We’ve also struggled to control games against Kelty so adding some energy and dynamism in midfield was a good move too. I’m critical of McCabe at times but sensible (and bold) choices today paid off. 

Just now, David Fernández said:

6-1 vs Kelty Hearts

5-0 vs Clyde

4-0 vs Montrose

4-0 vs Alloa

4-0 vs Falkirk

We've pumped exactly half of this division at home yet we find ourselves 5th in the league, that is madness 😄

5 of the 16 goals Dunfermline have conceded have been to us as well. At least McCabe has stopped blaming the forwards in his interviews I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

6-1 vs Kelty Hearts

5-0 vs Clyde

4-0 vs Montrose

4-0 vs Alloa

4-0 vs Falkirk

The one that gets me is how our 3 results against Edinburgh have affected our season (and theirs). If you reversed our 3 results against them we'd be sitting 3rd, 14 points clear of 5th place, play-offs all but assured. Edinburgh would be down in 7th with nothing to play for.

I know anyone can have 'what ifs' etc but it shows the impact that just 3 games has had. It should also give us optimism for the run-in that their results against the rest of the league are much worse than ours, so we should be able to arrive at the last game of the season having overtaken them of we can put a few results together.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The one that gets me is how our 3 results against Edinburgh have affected our season (and theirs). If you reversed our 3 results against them we'd be sitting 3rd, 14 points clear of 5th place, play-offs all but assured. Edinburgh would be down in 7th with nothing to play for.

I know anyone can have 'what ifs' etc but it shows the impact that just 3 games has had. It should also give us optimism for the run-in that their results against the rest of the league are much worse than ours, so we should be able to arrive at the last game of the season having overtaken them of we can put a few results together.

Excluding the Edinburgh games, we’re scoring just under two goals per game and conceding just over one per game. There’s been plenty of daft moments within that but if you do that over the course of the season you’ll comfortably be top four. They have a couple of tough games coming up (Dunfermline and Queen of the South, who they’ve lost to four times), so it’s a great opportunity to move up the league and push on from there. It’s hard to get too ahead of yourself with this team though.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

When was the last time we did that in a league game (not counting the Montrose play-off), was it when we beat Dundee 7-0 about 17 years ago?

I had a quick look back and I think the last time we scored six in a standard league game was when we beat Alloa 6-0 in 2007. I remember Stuart Noble running the show that day. It’s certainly been a long time coming!

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Yip although Kelty seem to have a few issues at the moment.

Apparently their owner is off to Raith next season and Forster is missing from their squad amid rumours of a domestic with his wife. Higginbotham was also absent today and they appeared a right soft touch.

Pity to throw a shadow over our win  with their problems.think our team deserve some credit .It was a must win game and 3points are in the bag ,