Arbroath v Airdrie

6 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

A few observations on yesterday.

What a huge asset Darren Jamieson has proved. A couple of excellent saves, and exudes confidence and solidity. The supporters appreciate his contribution but it doesn’t always receive the primary attention Huge distance from his kick outs too though, like most keepers at Gayfield, struggles kicking into the wind.

To be fair, Hutton had a decent game too. It’s a sign of a decent game when both keepers are fairly busy, including great saves. Too many games you see around don’t push keepers into action.

Noted Iain Murray’s discussion/confrontation on the pitch with the officials at the end. I assume he was asking how on earth his team finished the game (even first half) with 11 players. Some of these challenges seemed more than reckless. Always had a reputation as being ‘tough’ although they can clearly play a bit. The first penalty was stonewall. The second looked a trip but couldn’t properly see/assess it.

We could do with our other strikers - now a lengthening list - taking their chances instead of relying on Linn and defenders to bail us out all the time in terms of scoring. Poor misses from Spence and Denholm yesterday.

Finally, have to agree with Dick in his interview (or he with me). This was a critical game in the follow up from the good result at Kirkcaldy - and we’ve often tripped up in such situations. Getting any kind of result in Methil on Tuesday would be even better

I agree 100%. Jamieson has been great all season especially through the sticky patch we were having Dec/Jan. Some great saves again yesterday.

A real unsung hero.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Plesslitchie said:

Agreed. Spence started last 3/4 games now and brought nothing, how many more tries we going to give him? Donelly made frequent appearances also done nothing. Wallace shouldn’t of been dropped but is DC just justifying his buys? And as for stevie d, always been an impact sub yet now not even getting a sniff, really supporting him to get sharp enough... McCord also, not a hope in hell he will even want to stay with us next season hardly getting a sniff either 

I thing Wallace had more attempts at goal in the short time he was on than the rest of the team (other than Bobby) put together. I think he should be starting every week.

Watched the managers interviews on YouTube, could not believe Murray bleating about Gallaghers injury, when really he should be telling the player the injury could and should have been avoided

Wouldn’t be surprised if pongo, Stevie or even Wallace ended up at rivalry Angus teams, other managers will pick up on this and take advantage, depends if they want to play or sit on the bench :wacko:

Whilst Wallace has spent a while on the bench, he is normally the first sub to come on and I think he’ll find his way back into the starting XI soon. He’s 28 and will know that sometimes managers will try different options when things aren’t going that well (Wallace went 7 games without a goal in between November and January), and I’m sure he backs himself to get back into the team as has been proved by his very good sub cameos the last few weeks. He also has another year on his deal so unless our “rivals” cough up cash he will be here next season.
Doris IMO did himself a disservice by scoring in his first game back. It sounds silly but by doing that it made people think that Doris would be back as he was pre-injury, and leading to him being judged a bit more harshly than a player coming from a long lay-off normally would. Since scoring against Montrose Stevie has gone 9 games without scoring so rightly in January DC tried to bring in some goals. Donnelly and Spence haven’t exactly hit the ground running, and if that continues then Doris will come back into the fold. I don’t think there’s a player at the club anyone wants to do well more than Doris but if he can’t get back up to speed then he will have to move on, unfortunately.
As for McCord, him and Swankie play in the same position and up until the last few weeks Gav has been the first name on the teamsheet. Without altering our formation they can’t play together so it’s not as if McCord has been treated unfairly. I think in the next few weeks we will see more of McCord and I hope he takes his chance because we all know what he is capable of, but he basically wasted a whole season last year by being badly unfit, so it’s not like he can moan about not getting all the game time he wants (not that he has been).

24 minutes ago, Big lichtie said:

and also how many times has jamesion saved us this season but still no sign of a defender getting signed anyway rant over away to the pub

Yeh have a few beers and celebrate the 3 points yesterday for the team that has conceded 9 less than anyone else in league 

8 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Would also add the David Gold foul/ penalty claim did not seem like a penalty to me from behind the goal, and Airdrie really are fucking dirty c***s at times. I've not seen a game with 3/4 fouls as dirty/ cynical as that this season, with Airdrie very lucky to keep 11 men on the park. The foul on Hammy 5 minutes or so in could easily have been a red, and maybe would have been had the game been further in. Also the one on Bobby when he was away was obviously a 'take one for the team' foul which is fair enough and part of the game, but there's taking one for the team and just smashing into someone when the ball is 10 yards away, very cynical and verging on a red card also for me.

I was on the coastal terracing at the goal being attacked by Arbroath in the first half, for all the game. I can agree with you about the two specific fouls and was close to the Gallagher take out. I have no idea what kind of player the young loan player from rangers is, but it could have been a Red from the reaction of the crowd in the stand and the rush to confront the Ref by Arbroath players. As the cliché goes I have seen them given. The Gallagher one was worse in that he deliberately kicked Linn on the shinpad to "take one" because our talented teenager lost the ball but the ball was not 10 yards away?  , I would not have quibbled at a Red. However I can't remember many other "dirty/cynical" fouls of the 3/4 you mention.  The Duffy challenge on the goalie was on a par with the card that Spence got later.  None of the highlights appear to show the really bad fouls . No doubt "sportscourt "would already have alerted the compliance numpty. I don't think we have been a dirty team for nearly 10 years-if only we had Alex McDonald's players. Even DC said it was two definite penalties in his interview and then said you could argue about the second?  I hope you do clinch the league soon and that we escape the chasing pack. 

30 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can we no just enjoy the win instead of looking ahead and talking about players leaving etc

Ffs

Totally agree all this whining and moaning on here week after week as we steamroller our way to the title is getting on my tits, the team winning is all that matters.

Wasn’t at the game and from the highlights both penalties and the free kick (allowed to be taken about 5 yards back) are disappointing. As was the shove on McIntosh not being given as a third soft penalty.

None of that really matters though. Well done to the Lichties. You have walked the league this season and I hope you are all enjoying it to the maximum. Seasons like this don’t come along often so fill your boots [emoji1303]

3 hours ago, keptie said:

Totally agree all this whining and moaning on here week after week as we steamroller our way to the title is getting on my tits, the team winning is all that matters.

Some obviously prefer to nitpick & find faults more than enjoy the club achieving good things.

I would imagine it's classed as "constructive criticism"

I think the first pen looks a penalty tbh, the 2nd one looks of the softer variety but if the number 3 doesn't misjudge his clearance and let the ball into the box, that doesn't happen. For Airdrie first, the Arbroath Left Back? Gets beaten far too easily to allow Airdrie in. Our 2nd from an Airdrie point of view is a nice move, but from an Arbroath point of view is poorish defending with no-one tracking runners in the box and the man eventually getting goal side to put it in. Certainly looked like a wee nudge on the Airdrie boy at 3-2 in the box but I've seen them given, and not.

I think the first pen looks a penalty tbh, the 2nd one looks of the softer variety but if the number 3 doesn't misjudge his clearance and let the ball into the box, that doesn't happen. For Airdrie first, the Arbroath Left Back? Gets beaten far too easily to allow Airdrie in. Our 2nd from an Airdrie point of view is a nice move, but from an Arbroath point of view is poorish defending with no-one tracking runners in the box and the man eventually getting goal side to put it in. Certainly looked like a wee nudge on the Airdrie boy at 3-2 in the box but I've seen them given, and not.

Surprisingly it was ToB that got beaten on the first one and ended up decked. Not like him

Wasn’t at the game and from the highlights both penalties and the free kick (allowed to be taken about 5 yards back) are disappointing. As was the shove on McIntosh not being given as a third soft penalty.

None of that really matters though. Well done to the Lichties. You have walked the league this season and I hope you are all enjoying it to the maximum. Seasons like this don’t come along often so fill your boots [emoji1303]

For the free kick I’m pretty sure it gets given for the pull back on Swankie. You can even see your skipper pointing to where that was.

Second penalty for Arbroath was soft in some respects but the photo shows that our player puts a foot in rather needlesly. As for the free kick that Linn scored from, the referee was quick to set the ball five yards further away from the goal than where it should have been, making it somewhat easier for Arbroath to score.  it really doesn't matter however as Arbroath were always favourites with the firepower that they have in the team. Good luck for the title, it will be well deserved.

Screenshot 2019-02-25 at 16.11.43.png

For the free kick I’m pretty sure it gets given for the pull back on Swankie. You can even see your skipper pointing to where that was.

There was two fouls, he put the ball on a spot, halfway between the two fouls

Archived