Alesha MacPhail case

ICTChris

4 minutes ago, Romeo said:
4 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:
Grow up???? For a crime of this nature je deserves to be given the chance of rehabilitation....... i think not.

So killing is wrong, so let's kill him ?

That's just a wee bit simplistic. 

Nowhere near the same!!!! 117 separate injuries, not to mention the rape of an innocent 6 year old girl. Yes 27 years minimum is a long stretch but under these circumstances..... no, only one outcome is sufficient.
Where would you draw the line?

3 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:
9 minutes ago, Romeo said:
So killing is wrong, so let's kill him ?

Nowhere near the same!!!! 117 separate injuries, not to mention the rape of an innocent 6 year old girl. Yes 27 years minimum is a long stretch but under these circumstances..... no, only one outcome is sufficient.

27 plus years in solitary would be worse than getting hung imo.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:
4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He still gets a life after that.

He probably won't. The judge said he was likely to spend the rest of his life in prison.

54 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:
3 hours ago, GordonS said:
10 years, aye?
Will you now accept you know nothing about criminal sentencing, and not presume that it must be soft because... I don't understand why, but it's a myth people seem to believe.

I am surprised- but happy - at the severity of the sentence but it is unlikely I will ever accept or agree with anything you say. Mainly because you are a slavering buffoon

I've discovered this about very stupid people - they're too stupid to appreciate just how far behind everyone else they really are.

You should learn from how often you're wrong, but I fear you're incapable of it.

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yes.  At the moment he is thrilled by his own notoriety but that won't last.  I seriously doubt his friends will keep in touch especially if any of them get married and have kids of their own.
At some point he will discover that everybody else is having a more interesting life than him and he has nothing to write home about.
I think any time he is eligible for parole, the media will report it and like the Moors murderers he will probably be kept in.
Personally I doubt he will ever have a life worth living again.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:
2 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I am against the death penalty but in this case I would make an exception.

So you are not against the death penalty.

Well I suppose not when you put it like that.  I am against the death penalty where there is any type of doubt at all that a person has committed a crime.  However I also have an internal kind of sickened/morality compass which I'm sure we all do that would say this particular type of case deserves the death penalty whereas if it was wee Davie from Castlemilk admitting to shooting and killing some ned from his area over a daft argument then I would not say that deserves the death penalty.

I think thats where the death penalty doesn't work because everyone will have a different view on whats terrible enough for it and what isn't.

I've discovered this about very stupid people - they're too stupid to appreciate just how far behind everyone else they really are.
You should learn from how often you're wrong, but I fear you're incapable of it.
Still bitter after being caught telling lies about the Linlithgow/Hibs tickets.

I am against the death penalty where there is any type of doubt at all that a person has committed a crime.

Plenty of people have confessed to a crime and it's been thought they were 100% guilty been put on death only to have been innocent.

I thought Harold Shipman cheated himself out of proper punishment when the prison failed to stop him killing himself. Death isn't punishment, sitting in a room on your own thinking how things could have been different, for 27 plus and likely the rest of his life, is.

11 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Plenty of people have confessed to a crime and it's been thought they were 100% guilty been put on death only to have been innocent.

Yep, thats why I don't believe in the death penalty :unsure2:

A friend of mine was a witness in this case, im aware of the very profound impact it’s had on him. I think that its normal for people to feel very angry about the death of an innocent child and become emotional and call for the death penalty etc to be re-established. But someone has already said ‘oh but if it was davey in castlemilk then it would be ok’, so where do you decide who’s life is more valuable than others and deserving of a death penalty?

It must be balanced with a view that the death penalty does not deter crime, this boy clearly would have killed regardless, these people show no regard for law so a death penalty would not protect a victim. Death penalty says a lot about the culture of the country which implements it, USA, North Korea, China and Saudi Arabia, if we erode the right to life we then make it easy to go down a slippery slope of eroding other human rights. Its easy to say ‘oh he deserves it’ but it can’t be something decided on one single isolated incident, the impact it would have on our society is what should take precedence.

I think it’s unlikely this boy will ever be free again and will be unable to hurt another person and that assures me. We should never have another Derek Bentley.

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I wish the papers would stop showing his photograph.  It is Alesha who needs to be remembered.

I don't want to see his face again - unless it is in an open coffin.

They are inextricable, that's part of the tragedy. Her poor Mum, and Dad (and his girlfriend) will be known for ever as part of his crime.

He needs support and 24 hour care to ensure he never does himself in or comez to physical harm. But he should never be let out.

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

A friend of mine was a witness in this case, im aware of the very profound impact it’s had on him. I think that its normal for people to feel very angry about the death of an innocent child and become emotional and call for the death penalty etc to be re-established. But someone has already said ‘oh but if it was davey in castlemilk then it would be ok’, so where do you decide who’s life is more valuable than others and deserving of a death penalty?

It must be balanced with a view that the death penalty does not deter crime, this boy clearly would have killed regardless, these people show no regard for law so a death penalty would not protect a victim. Death penalty says a lot about the culture of the country which implements it, USA, North Korea, China and Saudi Arabia, if we erode the right to life we then make it easy to go down a slippery slope of eroding other human rights. Its easy to say ‘oh he deserves it’ but it can’t be something decided on one single isolated incident, the impact it would have on our society is what should take precedence.

I think it’s unlikely this boy will ever be free again and will be unable to hurt another person and that assures me. We should never have another Derek Bentley.

I agree with this. I would be extremely concerned with the direction this country was going if we got to the point where we legislated the death penalty back into existence. 

I like how the aussie c**t is stuck in solitary without access to the internet, tv or newspapers. Hope he stays there the rest of his life wondering what his 8chan pals thought about it. Much better than an easy way out.

Edited by welshbairn

If I heard that this boy Campbell or Ian Huntly or Levi Bellfield or Stuart Leggate (eligible for parole in 5 five years) died I would be quite pleased regardless of how it happened.

However the death penalty brings up too many issues so it has to be life with no parole.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I like how the aussie c**t is stuck in solitary without access to the internet, tv or newspapers. Hope he stays there the rest of his life wondering what his 8chan pals thought about it. Much better than an easy way out.

Apparently some notorious bikie has released a video saying his "bikie brothers" need to make sure he suffers in jail and they'll know how to get to him. Probably not the smartest move to post that online right enough.