Revisiting old albums

The_Judge

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

They'd long since disappeared over the horizon by then. (Floyd, that is, not your parents, hopefully).

Yeah, their best days were behind them by this point, but this was the better of their two post-Waters albums IMO.

And my parents haven't disappeared anywhere yet.

6 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

With The Waterboys releasing a huge box set from The Fisherman's Blues recordings they have been back on my radar. Always a band/singer I enjoy.

Listening now to this is the sea and loving it again.

The Whole Of The Moon is probably my favourite song by anyone ever.

On 04/01/2022 at 14:35, Richey Edwards said:

The Whole Of The Moon is probably my favourite song by anyone ever.

I absolutely detest that song, yet I think Fisherman's Blues is one of the best songs ever recorded.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Hawaii" by The High Llamas, released in 1996, is such a beautiful, relaxing record in the way "The Notorious Byrd Brothers" by The Byrds is or "Eureka" by Jim O'Rourke is. Oddly, for a double album, I've never thought it would've made a better single album. There's not much filler going on here. It's difficult to separate it from the mid to late 60's output of The Beach Boys, in particular "Pet Sounds" or "Smile". I can't pay it any greater compliment than to suggest it might have fitted neatly between the two in The Beach Boys discography.

Madness - Absolutely

Their second album and also their best IMO. Classic tracks like Baggy Trousers and Embarrassment.

I had this on cassette when I was a youngster and I played the bejesus out of it. It stands up today. The songs still sound fresh and witty even though it clearly belongs to another era.

Edited by Paul Kersey

15 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Madness - Absolutely

Their second album and also their best IMO. Classic tracks like Baggy Trousers and Embarrassment.

I had this on cassette when I was a youngster and I played the bejesus out of it. It stands up today. The songs still sound fresh and witty even though it clearly belongs to another era.

It clearly does belong to another era. There’s an innocence to that album. But you’d have to be made of stone not to dance to it. 

19 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Madness - Absolutely

The first album I ever owned.