Albums regarded as classics that are absolute gash

RockMusic

They could have combined the best bits from both albums and made one cracking album.
I had a tape made of songs I liked from both albums and called it reloaded when I had a paper round many many many many moons ago ( the word tape may give the many years ago away)

Off the top of my head:

Everything ever released by Bruce Springsteen - fairly acceptable bar-room rock, but by no means genius.

Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits - see above.

Is This It by The Strokes - just gash. Tuneless, whiny drivel. Last Nite is not bad, the rest is pish.

There's a Riot Goin' On  by Sly and The Family Stone - maybe I just didn't get it, but I heard nothing on this one that made me ever want to hear it again.

Any album by Belle and Sebastian - twee pish. Just f**k off.

And another vote for Pet Sounds - 12 tracks of filler surrounding one piece of stone cold genius.

Off the top of my head:
Everything ever released by Bruce Springsteen - fairly acceptable bar-room rock, but by no means genius.
Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits - see above.
Is This It by The Strokes - just gash. Tuneless, whiny drivel. Last Nite is not bad, the rest is pish.
There's a Riot Goin' On  by Sly and The Family Stone - maybe I just didn't get it, but I heard nothing on this one that made me ever want to hear it again.
Any album by Belle and Sebastian - twee pish. Just f**k off.
And another vote for Pet Sounds - 12 tracks of filler surrounding one piece of stone cold genius.

You my friend have cloth ears!

All 3 Big Star albums are excellent and Riot by Sly is probably a top 10 album for me. 

Haven't listened to Pet Sounds in a while, great album though last stuff by them I listened to was Surfs Up, Sunflower and Wild Honey. 

Most overrated for me are anything by Beatles, Radiohead or Clash. 

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed reading this. I realise the thread is about old supposedly great albums which have not stood the test of time but I really think it's very often a case of 'you had to be there'. 

I accept that good music should always remain good but how many people  enjoy  music from the 20s, 30s, 40s who didn't live through it?

Current culture and production have a big effect.

I like Beefheart and Zappa but never 'got' Trout Mask.     Played often,  but just to clear the room, so that's my nomination.

On 29/03/2019 at 22:39, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Deep Purple in rock don't get the fuss with that one

Deep Purple In Rock with my first acid tab was f'n incredible.   :)    Timing, situation, circumstance,  level of musical appreciation, all have an effect.

Enjoyed reading this. I realise the thread is about old supposedly great albums which have not stood the test of time but I really think it's very often a case of 'you had to be there'. 
I accept that good music should always remain good but how many people  enjoy  music from the 20s, 30s, 40s who didn't live through it?
Current culture and production have a big effect.

Given that the LP was invented in 1948, and hardly anybody had a 33rpm turntable till the ‘50s, you’re going to struggle to find an album “regarded as classic” from those decades. Gash or otherwise.

Arguably the first “pop” album as we would understand it would be “the voice of Frank Sinatra” although it was actually a reissue of a box set of 4 78rpm singles. You can find it on Spotify

They’re not great recordings technically . The orchestra sounds thin and weedy to modern ears but that voice is still being emulated to this day (although mainly at Christmas).

Trout Mask Replica is a good shout. Seen as a classic in some quarters but no one seems to like it. I do like it. Some songs it’s like the musicians are playing different tunes! I just discovered this on YT the other night. Good intro to the captain

• 11 months later...

I read this whole thread and cannot believe nobody brought up Appetite For Destruction. Truly the worst band of all time. No better than the other hair metal of the time like Motley Crue or WASP. Thank god grunge came along and blew all that shite away but quite how GNR survived the cull is anybodys guess.

On 20/04/2020 at 22:18, Jimi Shandrix said:

I read this whole thread and cannot believe nobody brought up Appetite For Destruction. Truly the worst band of all time. No better than the other hair metal of the time like Motley Crue or WASP. Thank god grunge came along and blew all that shite away but quite how GNR survived the cull is anybodys guess.

People who say that Appetite for destruction was no better than dodgy hair metal albums of the time have clearly not listened to the dodgy hair metal albums of the time for a while

I've just listened to "Theatre of Pain"  (1985) by Motley Crue which went quadruple platinum back in the day and it doesn't stand up anywhere nearly as well. I'm going to try to get through "Open up and Say Ah" by Poison (1988, 5x platinum) but I don't think I'll make it through

Slippery when wet is probably the only other "hair metal" album of the era that remains as culturally relevant on the basis of a string of massive hit singles "You Give Love a Bad Name", "Livin' on a Prayer" but while they can fill a wedding dance floor as well as "Paradise City" or "Sweet Child of Mine" but there is some serious dodgy filler on the Bon Jovi while even the 10th best track on Appetite for Destruction ("Out to get me") has something going for it. You might not like it but play it next to actual dross "Wild in the Streets" off slippery when Wet or for that matter "Excitable" off Def Leppard's Hysteria, 

What's more even the "hair metal" label is an awkward fit. It seemed to get assigned by default because they clearly weren't Bay Area Thrash. Genuine hair metal tended to have guitarists playing twiddly, pyrotechnic, two handed solos on superstrats with floyd rose bridges. Slash and Izzy played hard tail gibsons and seemed to ignore the fact that Eddie Van Halen had happened. They didn't even use much hairspray

Whether Grunge blew them away or not is debatable. The long awaited Use your Illusions I & II were so disappointing that GnR had pretty much jumped the shark already. Nevermind came out the very next week but it would hardly have made a difference

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Being honest: almost all of them.

Most classic albums are boring shite that is only regarded as a classic because most bald old jobbers in their later years first got their hole listening to it when they were teenagers.

Bunch of boomers trying to pretend that they, or the music they listened to, was ever relevant. I look at that Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums" and it's all heavily weighted toward the late 60s/early 70s.

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Being honest: almost all of them.

Most classic albums are boring shite that is only regarded as a classic because most bald old jobbers in their later years first got their hole listening to it when they were teenagers.

Bunch of boomers trying to pretend that they, or the music they listened to, was ever relevant. I look at that Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums" and it's all heavily weighted toward the late 60s/early 70s.

Disagree. Classics are classics for a reason.

Either because they summed up a particular cultural period in time or because they embraced new technology.