Albums regarded as classics that are absolute gash

RockMusic

On 03/04/2019 at 12:54, L. Brilliant said:

I was at it a wee bit with ok Computer, obviously not gash but there is some ploddy slop on there, like Karma Police which is totally embarrassing.
Everyone that sings along at gigs -> gulag

Away ye go man. OK Computer is fucking brilliant from start to finish.

On 4/3/2019 at 20:29, Detournement said:

If You See Her, Say Hello is very literal for Dylan but I think it's there to balance out the vitriol of Idiot Wind. It's one of my favourites.

You are right about Rosemary, Lily being out of place but it's hinting at the theatrical direction he would take on Desire which is my favourite Dylan album.

There's another one.  I love Desire, but Joey is just awful.

I do think that the holy three Dylan albums - Blonde, Highway and Blood should be the holy four.  Desire's right up there.

Edited by Savage Henry

14 hours ago, Gaz said:

13 hours ago, 50/50 Winner said:
14 hours ago, Gaz said:

Do you skip past 'Fitter Happier'?

I'm more likely to skip Electioneering than Fitter Happier, tbh - the later 'fits' in the running order -  Electioneering just doesn't belong on that album, imo. 

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I'm more likely to skip Electioneering than Fitter Happier, tbh - the later 'fits' in the running order -  Electioneering just doesn't belong on that album, imo. 

I like Electioneering, but it does sound like something that should be on Pablo Honey.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I do think that the holy three Dylan albums - Blonde, Highway and Blood should be the holy four.  Desire's right up there.

Again I like it.

It's a ballad about a modern criminal in the way people wrote ballads about Robin Hood or Billy the Kid. The story is entertaining.

I reckon that's why it's there as a palette-cleanser. Quite a one-paced album without it. I like Fitter Happier tbh. Is there an 'instrumental' of it anyplace?

I would skip Karma Police 100/100 times but Electioneering has quite cool Rickenbacker-y tones for a bit of interest. Don't love it tho. Know what: they should've kept Permanent Daylight back to use in its place. Might do a nerd spotify list that substitutes it to confirm that i'm correct yeah?

Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space.

Personally think this is when Jason took his material down a path I just stopped loving ☹️

(The new material that is. Not the rehashed or updated versions of old songs that appeared on that album).

Personally think this is when Jason took his material down a path I just stopped loving ☹️

(The new material that is. Not the rehashed or updated versions of old songs that appeared on that album).

He’s never made it easy for his fans. Saw him at a festival in Tokyo once and he got pissed off with the monitor (shared with other bands, natch) so he smashed it up and stormed off swearing at anyone.

Five minutes later he came back on with a dustpan and brush, apologised to the audience and played some acoustic songs instead.

I’ve never heard this before so I’m listening to it now I’ve managed a minute so far

This is people talking over Pachabel’s canon. It’s like”All together now” by the farm but without the redeeming features

“Come together” isn’t that bad but it invites comparison with Primal Scream and that doesn’t do them any favours

So fast forward

I’ve listened to two minutes of “I think I’m in love” and it’s still not started

Next up “All of my thoughts“ which is a fucking mess. I lasted 3 minutes

The slide guitar on the next one reinforces my impression that this is the band that Bobby Gillespie secretly feared he might be in and the laboured vocals do nothing to contradict that

The guitar riff of “Electricity” suddenly breaks us out of the soporific slumber we’d been lulled into but somehow the vocalist didn’t get the “we’re a rock and roll band” memo

I got through 30 seconds of “home of the brave” if I’d done a minute i think i might have deserved a medal

This next one has an interesting noisy intro.

Although it’s now been going for two minutes

It turns out that it was all weird intro but that’s still an improvement

This next one starts like music for airports by Brian eno. An album designed to not be listened to. Unlike MFA this track has someone reciting the kind of shit poetry that I’d like to think I’d be ashamed of when I was 17 but fear that actually I’d have thought was deep

“No god only religion” up next. Fucking about in E Phrygian with a raised 3rd the western shorthand for “oriental Mysticism”.

I lasted 20 seconds of the next one

This last one sounds promising. It’s a classy jazz-blues thing.

So far

But here comes that vocal again.

This guy makes Leonard Cohen sound like Screaming Jay Hawkins. And he’s nowhere near a good enough poet to steal cohen’s act

I lasted 8 minutes and there were apparently another 9 to go

In summary this is like a really shit version of Screamadelica

On 4/3/2019 at 12:54, L. Brilliant said:

I was at it a wee bit with ok Computer, obviously not gash but there is some ploddy slop on there, like Karma Police which is totally embarrassing.
Everyone that sings along at gigs -> gulag

Have to agree with OK Computer.    

The Bends > Pablo Honey >  OK Computer's the pecking order for the first 3 Radiohead albums.  

Purely subjective but I don’t get the praise for Pet Sounds or Joni Mitchell’s Blue.

Although only in my mid 40s there has been nothing post millennium (that I’ve heard) that I really love. I know there must be classics out there I just don’t have the time, patience or inclination to seek them out.

That's a great review. Better than some in music mags.
Maybe not a classic but it was huge in its day I had the misfortune of listening to Demons & Wizards by Uriah Heep yesterday. That certainly hasn't aged well. Avoid.

Of course that meant I had to listen to it.

I knew “The wizard” and “Easy living” already from the radio and the rest of the album confirmed my first impression

1972 Uriah Heep sound like the reserve team that 1972 Deep Purple would put out in the league cup.

“Wizards and Demons” was released two months after Deep Purple’s “Machine head” which I’m listening to now and there’s no contest.

4 hours ago, Daydream said:

Purely subjective but I don’t get the praise for Pet Sounds or Joni Mitchell’s Blue.

Aye apart from the hit songs I've always found Pet Sounds a tough listen.  

Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and Big Star's Third are another couple of critically acclaimed albums that I have never really enjoyed.

Can't just ignore Bringing it All Back Home! It's all right ma and Gates of Eden alone put it right up there!