Motherwell v Rangers - Sunday 7th April

Motherwell Football Club have banned an individual following an incident that took place during Sunday’s match against Rangers.

In the 37th minute of the game, items were thrown from the crowd towards the pitch, narrowly missing James Tavernier.

Since that incident, staff at the club have been studying CCTV, together with both moving and still photography, in an attempt to identify the culprits.

Those efforts have been successful. One person has been identified and has been informed he is banned from Fir Park indefinitely.

We are continuing to investigate a second individual we have identified threw an object onto the park, and will similarly ban as soon as possible.

Commenting on the matter, chairman Jim McMahon said: “We condemn the irresponsible actions of two of our fans, whose moment of recklessness has cast an unfortunate shadow over our whole support.

“It gives us absolutely no pleasure or satisfaction to ban anyone from Fir Park.

“As a fan-owned and fan-run club, we have tried to campaign for the rights of supporters. We have been vocal in our opposition to any suggestion or notion of strict liability.

“However, with that comes a responsibility to act if any of our own step out of line, particularly if we have such clear and obvious evidence.

“I am sure our supporters understand that we are left with no other option but to take a hard line approach with not only these two individuals, but anyone else who steps out of line.”

Well done Motherwell FC for such a swift response. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Desp said:

Rather half arsed compared to how swiftly and professionally LeeAnn Dempster and Hibs dealt with a similar attack on the same player.

44 minutes ago, Desp said:

If Motherwell had acted swiftly they would have been banning these kids literally years ago!

I am waiting to hear what action Police Scotland are taking

11 minutes ago, bennett said:

Rather half arsed compared to how swiftly and professionally LeeAnn Dempster and Hibs dealt with a similar attack on the same player.

As previously mentioned, the hyprociosy of Rangers fans lecturing anyone about fan behaviour will continue to be mocked. 

10 minutes ago, Gusty said:

It's next on their list after the investigation of the sectarian signing of thousands of Rangers fans at the game. 

12 minutes ago, Gusty said:

If Motherwell had acted swiftly they would have been banning these kids literally years ago!

I'm surprised you haven't already phoned them to provide them with your not at all made up anecdotal evidence of these repeat offenders.

If the police and the SFA had acted swiftly instead of not at all, Celtic and Rangers would have been shut down literally years ago.

6 hours ago, Gusty said:

I think you are blind if you haven't seen it. 

Last time i was at Fir Park Wallace was hit more than once by objects thrown from that part of the stadium. 

Worth mentioning the last time Lee Wallace played at Fir Park was August 2017, unless we're counting a game where he played 2 minutes.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

I agree. They should have banned him days before they identified him.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Didn't know the police could shut clubs down.

They should also have arrested the supporters for promoting sectarian hatred.

7 hours ago, nsr said:

Rangers are dead. They have no supporters.

5 hours ago, nsr said:

No surprise to see Rangers and Celtic fans uniting against their common enemy: the rest of Scottish football.

This is what is known as joined-up diddy thinking.

Archived