A postive case for the union

Da's can sell avon

With things heating up with regards to a second independence referendum I call upon P&B’s more recent resident Unionists - Malky and Glenanover - to make a positive case for the Union on this thread. Give me reasons why staying in the UK is the right thing to do for Scotland.

Over to you.

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

With things heating up with regards to a second independence referendum I call upon P&B’s more recent resident Unionists - Malky and Glenanover - to make a positive case for the Union on this thread. Give me reasons why staying in the UK is the right thing to do for Scotland.

Over to you.

You forgot wee Kincy.     Is the plural zoomeri ??

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

@Malky3
@Glenanover
@Mastermind

Let’s be having you.

Ok. I could go on for hours but ill start with these and see where it goes.... 

Most successful political union in the world

A long serving partnership that sees our economies, cultures and our jobs absolutely interlinked

A political union that has seen Scottish banking through a mojor financial crash and the Scottish government through a period of low North Sea oil tax returns. 

Its a union that sees Scotland getting a generous settlement year on year through the Barnett Formula. This allows us a share of the huge revenues recieved in taxation from London, the South East and The East of England where they are in surplus. Currently £13Bn per annum. 

England is the biggest consumer of Scottish products. 

We share vital trade links worldwide, use UK embassies and diplomats.

Enjoy extensive trade and cultural links with the Commonwealth.

Are a major part of the worlds fifth largest economy. 

A respected global power. 

And we share in the use of one of the most popular and respected trading currencies in the world. 

The UK is also still seen as one of the worlds greatest democracies. 

And globally one of the safest economies to invest in. 

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Excellently put. I often try and take a step back and try and see what legitimate arguments there are for remaining as part of the UK. The very few with a degree of credibility have been debunked by the absolutely shambolic nature in which the UK has dealt with Brexit over the last 3 years.

In Malky3's post he often refers to the 'respect' the UK has, both as an economic and political union.. surely even the most devout unionist can recognise that this respect has been irreparably damaged after the last few years? It's going to be very difficult to restore some of the relationship's with some of our nearest neighbours following Brexit due to the fact that there will be a lasting view that the way the UK has handled itself, especially this year, has been nothing short of scandalous. I cannot see a Scottish Government conducting themselves in a remotely similar manner following independence. 

Also, the notion that by becoming independent, it would somehow mean that the trading relationship between Scotland and rUK would shrink is absolute nonsense. Who on earth would that be in the interests of? 

To be fair, the reason we're seen as a bigger laughing stock than the US is because the UK is pretty much a diddy nation. The US will remain a powerful nation no matter who's in charge, and therefore Trump is seen as a lot more dangerous.

Yes but in the context of Donald Trump actually being elected as president its quite a feat that the UK has somehow managed to out ‘howthefuckdidthathappen?’ Even that scenario.

23 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Ok. I could go on for hours but ill start with these and see where it goes.... 

Most successful political union in the world

A long serving partnership that sees our economies, cultures and our jobs absolutely interlinked

A political union that has seen Scottish banking through a mojor financial crash and the Scottish government through a period of low North Sea oil tax returns. 

Its a union that sees Scotland getting a generous settlement year on year through the Barnett Formula. This allows us a share of the huge revenues recieved in taxation from London, the South East and The East of England where they are in surplus. Currently £13Bn per annum. 

England is the biggest consumer of Scottish products. 

We share vital trade links worldwide, use UK embassies and diplomats.

Enjoy extensive trade and cultural links with the Commonwealth.

Are a major part of the worlds fifth largest economy. 

A respected global power. 

And we share in the use of one of the most popular and respected trading currencies in the world. 

The UK is also still seen as one of the worlds greatest democracies. 

And globally one of the safest economies to invest in. 

Great post.