European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

9 minutes ago, sfha said:

Didn't the 2016 referendum ask In or Out? I think Out won that, so should any referendum after the fact be deal or no deal? Only asking.

Of course not, we'll put the question till we get the correct answer. 

4 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

In September 2011. Got anything more up to date?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/21/nicola-sturgeon-snp-will-discuss-using-euro-if-scotland-independ/

"Nicola Sturgeon has said the SNP will discuss an independent Scotland using the euro if a vote to leave the European Union on Thursday leads to the break-up of the United Kingdom.

The First Minister said it was not party policy to seek entry to the single currency if Scotland becomes independent, but the pound may not be “as attractive a currency” if it weakens after Brexit."

It puts the new currency policy in context. Why keep the Pound after Brexit, especially if there no deal?

7 minutes ago, sfha said:

It was a UK-wide referendum. Areas of England also voted remain.

I'm aware that other countries also voted. They aren't my concern.

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The First Minister said it was not party policy to seek entry to the single currency if Scotland becomes independent

So no-one is suggesting we use the Euro. Are we agreed?

2 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I saw a graphic recently which showed the time taken for the countries formed after the break up Yugoslavia (possibly USSR too) to adopt their own currency. The countries shown on the graphic were all very, very quick to do so.

You can't go from 'it'll take at least 5 years' to 'look how easily it can be done' after Slovakia was cited without losing all credibility.

The Scottish Government thinks that it will take at least 5 years.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17602730.snp-conference-delegates-back-new-scottish-currency-for-first-time/

"Their resolution to conference stated that Scotland would continue to use the pound in a transition period after independence while aiming for the Scottish Parliamentto vote on establishing a new currency by the end of the first term of an independent parliament."

Is that losing all credibility?

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

Not if we are out of the EU.

Under the existing Treaties, the EU would require it if an independent Scotland joined.

8 minutes ago, sfha said:

It was a UK-wide referendum. Areas of England also voted remain.

So fucking what?  England as a whole voted to leave.  What happened in areas is of absolutely f**k all consequence. The country of Scotland voted to remain. 

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

New countries entering the EU are obliged to take the Euro as their currency

1 minute ago, sfha said:

New countries entering the EU are obliged to take the Euro as their currency

Not that shite again. What currency does Sweden use and when did they join? Name a country that has been forced to join the Euro after joining.

Guest Jedi

The currency position will certainly need to be clear in voters minds prior to the Ref, as it will continue to be the main point of the Naw campaign, They will continue to harp on about threats to pensions and savings, while no doubt pulling out more 'key' businesses who will flee across the border the next day. Just reheated from the last time. I am happy with using the pound and moving to a Scottish currency whenever, but it will come up a lot in debates. Also expect to hear (again) that all oil reserves are about to run out.

The other point of attack will be EU membership. It might be best to float a Norway style, EFTA model to try and appease EU sceptics.

What seems likely is that the mainstream media will be even more vicious. I expect Ruth herself to front the No campaign which is a gift, as the Tories overplay her popularity. Lets see whats shes like under real pressure..it will be easy to pull out her inconsistencies (at best) on all matters from EU membership to currency, defence etc. She will also have to defend a probably Boris as PM, and possibly Hard Brexit into the bargin by then.

Edited by Jedi

The Scottish Government thinks that it will take at least 5 years.
https://www.thenational.scot/news/17602730.snp-conference-delegates-back-new-scottish-currency-for-first-time/
"Their resolution to conference stated that Scotland would continue to use the pound in a transition period after independence while aiming for the Scottish Parliamentto vote on establishing a new currency by the end of the first term of an independent parliament."
Is that losing all credibility?
Yes, because when you said.....

'Can you give an example of a newly independent country establishing a currency in just two years?  Five is more realistic.'

It seems obvious you were sure there were no examples to be given. I cannot imagine you'd create such an open goal otherwise. You can spin it however you wish, but this is how it will read to anyone other than yourself.

I personally think taking time would be best rather than rushing it through for the sake of it. Taking 5 years seems sensible enough to me. This does not detract from the fact you thought there were no examples of newly independent countries that took less than 2 years.

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Bollocks.

Yes you are talking bollocks. 

It's a requirement under the EU's Treaties.

https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/policy/conditions-membership/chapters-of-the-acquis_en

Chapter 17: Economic and monetary policy 

The acquis in the area of economic and monetary policy contains specific rules requiring the independence of central banks in Member States, prohibiting direct financing of the public sector by the central banks and prohibiting privileged access of the public sector to financial institutions. Member States are expected to co-ordinate their economic policies and are subject to the Stability and Growth Pact on fiscal surveillance. New Member States are also committed to complying with the criteria laid down in the Treaty in order to be able to adopt the euro in due course after accession. Until then, they will participate in the Economic and Monetary Union as a Member State with a derogation from the use of the euro and shall treat their exchange rates as a matter of common concern.

4 minutes ago, HTG said:

So fucking what?  England as a whole voted to leave.  What happened in areas is of absolutely f**k all consequence. The country of Scotland voted to remain. 

Jeezo! The UK is the nation state, the 'country of Scotland' means nothing to Eurocrats, my friend.

3 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Yes you are talking bollocks. 

It's a requirement under the EU's Treaties.

https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/policy/conditions-membership/chapters-of-the-acquis_en

Chapter 17: Economic and monetary policy 

The acquis in the area of economic and monetary policy contains specific rules requiring the independence of central banks in Member States, prohibiting direct financing of the public sector by the central banks and prohibiting privileged access of the public sector to financial institutions. Member States are expected to co-ordinate their economic policies and are subject to the Stability and Growth Pact on fiscal surveillance. New Member States are also committed to complying with the criteria laid down in the Treaty in order to be able to adopt the euro in due course after accession. Until then, they will participate in the Economic and Monetary Union as a Member State with a derogation from the use of the euro and shall treat their exchange rates as a matter of common concern.

Learn to read. Learn to think.