European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

9 hours ago, sfha said:

Jeezo! The UK is the nation state, the 'country of Scotland' means nothing to Eurocrats, my friend.

No. YOU pointed out that areas of England voted remain. It was YOUR comparison - not that of anyone from the EU. It is your interpretation that Scotland is a region of England and that the inference you were drawing was that those regions are no different to Scotland. You're setting out the very crux of the problem. Those who believe Scotland to be a region rather than a country don't care what happens to Scotland as long as the knot remains tied. People like you in generations past said the same things about Ireland. Those of us who acknowledge that Scotland is indeed a country will simply no longer accept the democratic deficit that has been exemplified by Brexit. And the minute Scotland leaves the UK, she will be welcomed with open arms by the rest of the world in the same way that Belgium, Ireland or Iceland are. Because we don't have anywhere near the same number of xenophobic arseholes as the country next door. My entire working life is spent with colleagues in England and I feel heart sorry for them at the moment but they already have it within their gift to change their society. 

10 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The Treaties have not changed. 

Like Norway, an independent Scotland should join EFTA to keep its own currency.

Sweden. If Scotland would be forced to join the Euro, explain why Sweden has not had to.

Sweden. If Scotland would be forced to join the Euro, explain why Sweden has not had to.
In fact, explain why no nation has ever been forced to join the euro including Croatia which still uses the Kuna. I know because I was there a fortnight ago.

In fact, explain why no nation has ever been forced to join the euro including Croatia which still uses the Kuna. I know because I was there a fortnight ago.

Where did you go? Croatia is class.

It's almost as if the yoon trolls aren't aware the UK is trying to leave and there's been a rise in the fortunes of euroskeptic parties.    The EU is needs to be flexible with member states to keep this thing together and massive net contributors Scotland will be able to use the currency of our choice.    
This. Genuinely think the EU would fast track Scotland's application. Scotland has been EU positive resolute and Yellow across the board will not be overlooked by the EU.
We have much more in common with them, minus the Rangers, than the right wing xenophobia displayed down south.

11 hours ago, NotThePars said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/opinion/nigel-farage-brexit.html

Good, if potentially overreacting, analysis of Farage and the Brexit Party. Would have to see how he did in a general.

If one happens in the next few months before the Brexit issue is resolved, Farage could be PM given the quirks of FPTP. A year from now or longer with some kind of Brexit outcome in place he goes back to being a quirky footnote, which is why neither Labour or the Tories will be pushing for a general election for a while. 

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

If one happens in the next few months before the Brexit issue is resolved, Farage could be PM given the quirks of FPTP. A year from now or longer with some kind of Brexit outcome in place he goes back to being a quirky footnote, which is why neither Labour or the Tories will be pushing for a general election for a while. 

Anything "could" happen tought right? Chuka Umuna could be the PM, leading a Chnage UK government. It's incredibly unlikely. We know that European elections tend to be seriously distorted by people's positions on Europe, particulalry in England. Huge numbers of Brexit voters would slither back to the big two and in a higher turnout, FPTP election, TBP would have a much lower chance of winning than they do in a Euro election.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:
1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Where did you go? Croatia is class.

We were near Vrboska on Hvar island. Really beautiful and quiet. Weather wasn't the best but we didn't mind much.

We got washed out by thunderstorms for half our holiday there but, aye, we didn't mind much either. Could live there indefinitely.

We were ever so lucky with the weather last year and spent some of their currency on some lovely food and drink.

Obtaining the notes was as easy and available as on our local High Street and sometimes we even paid by card.

If I recall correctly, we became instantly comfortable with the new, to us at least, currency.

I'm startled to see that Croatia joined the EU in 2013 and the Kuna seems to be working just grand.

Not a boast, simply providing evidence that backs up my statement. Startling concept for unionists, I expect.
Come on, you hardly need to back up an indisputable, widely known, easily checked fact like what currency a country uses. You just wanted folk to know you'd been on holiday.

Come on, you hardly need to back up an indisputable, widely known, easily checked fact like what currency a country uses. You just wanted folk to know you'd been on holiday.
I go on holiday two or three times a year and don't tend to mention it. You're just being silly, spiteful and sick with jealousy.

I go on holiday two or three times a year and don't tend to mention it. You're just being silly, spiteful and sick with jealousy.
Aye, that'd be right. I finish up work on Friday, will spend the following three months traveling but am jealous of you going to a country two hours drive from me that I've been to half a dozen times before.

5 hours ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

massive net contributors Scotland will be able to use the currency of our choice.    

Do you have any numbers to suggest that Scotland would be a net contributor to the EU budget? The UK is a large contributor and Scotland is one of the wealthier parts of the UK so it's not unreasonable just trying to figure out if that would be the case.

18 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Do you have any numbers to suggest that Scotland would be a net contributor to the EU budget? The UK is a large contributor and Scotland is one of the wealthier parts of the UK so it's not unreasonable just trying to figure out if that would be the case.

We'd certainly be net contributors just because of our GDP per capita, by how much is hard to say. We've got a lot of rural and sparsely populated areas that benefit from EU grants for infrastructure projects for example. Click on the various buttons on the link below to see how complicated it gets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm#start

44 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

Aye, that'd be right. I finish up work on Friday, will spend the following three months traveling but am jealous of you going to a country two hours drive from me that I've been to half a dozen times before.

^^^raging

DiegoDiego's crusade against holiday boasting marches on.