English Premier League 2019-20

19 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

not sure if this has already been posted in here or elsewhere but my older brother pointed me to it about Steve Bruce writing mystery novels in 1999/2000, burst out loud laughing a few times through it:

https://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

Well worth a read if you've got a few minutes. It sounds like something Peartree Productions would publish.

edit: a couple of my favourite snippets:

"…the return of Steve Bruce’s Jaguar Chat! Yes, Bruce is a big fan of his motor, a Jaguar XJ8 that receives many lengthy and incongruous descriptions in Striker. In Sweeper, it takes pride of place for our hero once more, as well as a bulging turn-on for everyone else he meets, including the above mentioned gun-toting aggressors. If a kidnapping seems an odd place to crowbar in some bragging about a car, consider that its merits are first mentioned as Barnes scrambles to follow the ambulance carrying a dying Sam to the hospital.

The Jag was in its usual place, outside the club reception. It’s an XJ8, 3.2, sports version, V Reg. As I drove fast to the infirmary, following the ambulance as it cut a swathe through the traffic I wasn’t thinking of power assisted steering and speed sensitive variable ratios…"

"That’s not to say there aren’t any exciting moments in the book. In fact, there are about three and they’re all shite. Some important plot revelations are almost maddeningly constructed, such as when Barnes realises that these heavily accented, tanned, “mediterranean-sounding” Nazi-hunters are Israelis. This is something he teases for a long time – in fact, over 100 pages of a 112-page book – despite there being more than a few clues and the fact that it is, after all, a book with an Israeli flag on the cover."

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Links to all the Steve Bruce, sorry, Barnes, book reviews below.

All well worth your time.

Striker!

Sweeper!

Defender!

It seems to pop on these threads gearly, but its worth it just to remind everyone it exists.

Simply the greatest stories ever written.

4 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Man Utd and Chelsea look shite.
Liverpool will bottle it again in hilarious fashion.

It's a stick on for Man City winning another Barclay's title.

Looking forward to it all starting again Cerby hopefully Liverpool can continue to make progress and build on the European glory of last season. 

On 18/07/2019 at 16:34, Gaz said:

The Football Weekly podcasts covered these a while ago. They are brilliant!

The best thing about them is when Steve Barnes realises the terrorists are Israeli because their favourite football player is Yossi Benayoun :lol:

Is it not Eyal Berkovic?

My favourite bit is when Barnesy takes out two IRA hitmen with a slide tackle.

1 hour ago, Oleksandr said:

Had to get stretchered off apparently, lovely.

Lolverpool

Really poor tackle on a young left back  who has done really well in pre-season. Thankfully looks like he’s got lucky and it’s not serious. 

Liverpool fans have been named as the sexiest supporter group in the Premier League.

Rival fans have put Reds supporters at the top of the table when it comes to which fans that they would most like to sleep with and which they find the most attractive.

The survey conducted by Free Super Tips has revealed that more than a quarter of fans (26%) would choose to sleep with a Liverpool fan over any other team. 

Liverpool 26%

Chelsea 20%

Manchester United 18%

Arsenal 17%

Burnley 10%

Tottenham Hotspur 9%

Brighton Hove and Albion 8%

Manchester City 8%

Aston Villa 7%

Newcastle United 7%

Crystal Palace 6%

Everton 6%

Bournemouth 5%

Leicester City 4%

Norwich City 3%

West Ham United 3%

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3%

Watford 2%

Sheffield United 2%

Southampton 1%

4 minutes ago, Dele said:

It's nowhere near £180,000 per week. :huh:

Sky are reporting it as £180k a week, everyone else just saying "over £100k a week".

3 minutes ago, spud131 said:
6 minutes ago, Dele said:
It's nowhere near £180,000 per week. :huh:

Only going by what's been reported in the press.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sky are reporting it as £180k a week, everyone else just saying "over £100k a week".

Apologies @spud131, Sky must have been the only report I hadn't seen. Vast majority say £100,000. A few say over £100,000. Sky have nearly doubled it. :lol: