Cove Thread

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Moorie said:

Do no more “Ace” moments at Cove. Not like been many this season. A guess he’s heading down the road to Spain Park? 
was he one of the more heavy benefactors within in the club? Really only one I really know apart from your chairman and son.

I’ve no real insight to our financial situation but I imagine it was a relatively heavy contribution. Of course we all storm out of meetings from time to time but I’ve wondered for a while if things really are ACE.

I doubt Spain Park would be a safe haven, they have a plan and the ambition to have a crack at the SPFL. People come and go out of football, this is no different, but our reliance on corporate hospitality is worrying. 

Anyone who reads the tedious repetitive shite I ramble on about will know I genuinely believe that a more community based model is one we should be perusing and I’m interested to see what will be said on Thursday night at the get together. I’m not convinced we have the right people to drive our ambitions in that department. 

The club also have to realise that as the fan base slowly expands they will pick up new supporters whose voices deserve to be heard too. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

I think the main things I want to come out of the meeting is:

What are the expectations and aspirations for next season.

Is it now hybrid rather than full time.

Are they concerned about the attendances dipping and what do they think the cause is.

There is probably no point directly asking about Hartley, those answers will be preprepared and generic.

30 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

I think the main things I want to come out of the meeting is:

What are the expectations and aspirations for next season.

Is it now hybrid rather than full time.

Are they concerned about the attendances dipping and what do they think the cause is.

There is probably no point directly asking about Hartley, those answers will be preprepared and generic.

Yes I suspect there will be a statement about the manager at the start of the night that says he is staying on, I think most people have come to terms with that anyway. 

Can’t disagree with any of that, more specifically I want to know what we are doing to identify signings well in advance. From what I hear we have a guy who goes to L2/HL games but what are we doing to prepare for a new season. I also want to know why we can’t cultivate a better relationship with AFC or Dundee Utd who I personally feel is the better fit. I also want to know why we ended the season with 3 on the bench in crucial games. We forget a few extra bodies might have got us into the playoffs. 

16 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

I’ve no real insight to our financial situation but I imagine it was a relatively heavy contribution. Of course we all storm out of meetings from time to time but I’ve wondered for a while if things really are ACE.

I doubt Spain Park would be a safe haven, they have a plan and the ambition to have a crack at the SPFL. People come and go out of football, this is no different, but our reliance on corporate hospitality is worrying. 

Anyone who reads the tedious repetitive shite I ramble on about will know I genuinely believe that a more community based model is one we should be perusing and I’m interested to see what will be said on Thursday night at the get together. I’m not convinced we have the right people to drive our ambitions in that department. 

The club also have to realise that as the fan base slowly expands they will pick up new supporters whose voices deserve to be heard too. 

Seeming to become a bit of a habit storming out of meetings and spitting the dummy when things ain’t going his way at football clubs it would appear. 

As from the area would like to see them become more a community club. Especially more things on for the kids even during the holidays or match days. Surprised you don’t have a match day mascot. Hopefully more positives than negatives come out of the meeting only concern that a high percentage of the fan base who could be the voices that can get more over to the board are the ones who can see/say no wrong. Ones who are On the turnstiles, selling the halftime draw and programs 

3 hours ago, Moorie said:

Hopefully more positives than negatives come out of the meeting only concern that a high percentage of the fan base who could be the voices that can get more over to the board are the ones who can see/say no wrong. Ones who are On the turnstiles, selling the halftime draw and programs 

I think this is starting to change a bit, there are definitely people who do those voluntary tasks now that disagree with what would be perceived as the party line, and after speaking to a few members of the wider supporter club at the game on Saturday there are definitely some going that want to ask some of the more needly questions. (If the questions will be answered that is a different story).  

But in my time supporting Cove I think this is the first time that they have opened up these meetings to the wider supporters club rather than just the committee.

Hopefully the meeting is constructive and more take place in the future, it might encourage more fans to join the supporters club if they believe it will help their voices be heard.

Anyone on here at yesterdays meeting? Reading on social media that the meeting went well? This was from the hardcore who are well behind the club ever happens.

I couldn’t make it due to having to go for meetings in Edinburgh.  

But from what I have heard the meeting went well.  There seemed to be an acknowledgment from the higher ups that they do read the comments on social media and they do understand the fans frustrations, someone who was at the meeting could perhaps expand on that if they are on here.

But the main takeaway seemed to be that there now seems to be an open dialogue between fans and board, which to me feels like a positive thing.  And that is something that needs to be celebrated and taken advantage of, but not abused.

I have seen a few people on the various Facebook pages complaining that it wasn’t open to the wider fan base, maybe it needs opened up to season ticket holders as well.  Right now the main benefit of the supporters club is the cheaper travel on the buses and for some there is no point in signing up, if getting access to these meetings in the future is part of it they need to shout from the rooftops about it.

22 hours ago, Jo9 said:

I couldn’t make it due to having to go for meetings in Edinburgh.  

But from what I have heard the meeting went well.  There seemed to be an acknowledgment from the higher ups that they do read the comments on social media and they do understand the fans frustrations, someone who was at the meeting could perhaps expand on that if they are on here.

But the main takeaway seemed to be that there now seems to be an open dialogue between fans and board, which to me feels like a positive thing.  And that is something that needs to be celebrated and taken advantage of, but not abused.

I have seen a few people on the various Facebook pages complaining that it wasn’t open to the wider fan base, maybe it needs opened up to season ticket holders as well.  Right now the main benefit of the supporters club is the cheaper travel on the buses and for some there is no point in signing up, if getting access to these meetings in the future is part of it they need to shout from the rooftops about it.

Yeah joining stuff for the sake of it these days is a bit 1990’s. My limited interaction is positive tho. The club are lucky in that they have a hardcore who do a LOT of stuff out of love of the club and for those of us not getting any younger there is a certain attraction to a bus dropping you at the ground vs paying £60+ on the train for the privilege of being dropped off 40 miles later or driving home from Glasgow in the snow and the dark which I did a couple of times last season.

My constructive argument is only that anyone watching the football on offer acknowledge that last season it fell well below the expectations of any reasonable supporter. If you consider that the dross that was served up at times failed to get into the playoffs by a few points then it’s actually a staggering mismanagement. 

I’ve spoken to a few folk who were there and it was decent night by all accounts, by the sounds of it tho none of the elephants in the room were really part of a full and frank discussion. 5 or 6 we hear are coming in and this is where Hartley will be judged as he has to get this right. We need to start by really trying to get through the League Cup group as it’s free money. 

On 08/05/2024 at 17:43, welshbairn said:

I was wondering if Cove or BoD might have tapped up Spider from Buckie, he's Aberdeen based.

BoD seem to be pretty settled. I’ve always liked Paul Lawson and I expect him to be a staple HL manager, perhaps L2. Not sure why a high flying HL club (BoD) would want to tap up a new manager when things are going well for them. 

Spider at Cove? Not sure at all. Probably on better money sticking with his job?

Im not convinced it’s an upgrade. 

7 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

BoD seem to be pretty settled. I’ve always liked Paul Lawson and I expect him to be a staple HL manager, perhaps L2. Not sure why a high flying HL club (BoD) would want to tap up a new manager when things are going well for them. 

Spider at Cove? Not sure at all. Probably on better money sticking with his job?

Im not convinced it’s an upgrade. 

3 possibilities.

1) He was annoyed when the actions of his board board prevented his team entering the play offs and would like to manage a club with ambition or is already in the SPFL.

2) He's fed up of commuting between Aberdeen and Buckie.

3) 1 and 2 are bollox and he just wants a break from football after a decade combining managing Buckie with a full time job in Aberdeen.

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 09:21, welshbairn said:

3 possibilities.

1) He was annoyed when the actions of his board board prevented his team entering the play offs and would like to manage a club with ambition or is already in the SPFL.

2) He's fed up of commuting between Aberdeen and Buckie.

3) 1 and 2 are bollox and he just wants a break from football after a decade combining managing Buckie with a full time job in Aberdeen.

I’ve no factual basis for this other than a rough idea of what Hartley is on and Spider would be earning considerably (perhaps more than considerably) more in his day job. Director level positions in O&G rarely come in at less than very decent money plus plenty of add ons. 

I know the same position at the company I work for would be on at least £40k more than what I’ve heard Hartley is on.

Stick to the day job if I was him! 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 08:24, Mo-time said:

Where is coverangers1923 (1922?) these days ? Missing his contributions 

Sorry, been missing for a few weeks.

I'll be back posting my rambling thoughts.

Gutted for you lads, such a spirited season and after the 1st leg of the playoff I was wishing you on to making the final.

We'll meet again next season. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Heard we're interested in signing former Aberdeen youth Max Berry who just recently handed in a transfer request after winning the HL title with Buckie.

Saw him against Locos around the turn of the year. He looked very capable at that level but going up 2 leagues I'm not sure. 

Also, I heard Aaron Reid trained with us this month. I'm not a fan. Didn't impress at Elgin or even get a look in at Peterhead.

Rumarn probably jettison already I suspect.

13 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Heard we're interested in signing former Aberdeen youth Max Berry who just recently handed in a transfer request after winning the HL title with Buckie.

Saw him against Locos around the turn of the year. He looked very capable at that level but going up 2 leagues I'm not sure. 

Also, I heard Aaron Reid trained with us this month. I'm not a fan. Didn't impress at Elgin or even get a look in at Peterhead.

Rumarn probably jettison already I suspect.

Max Berry has been good whenever I've watched him, but like you say not sure if he's at the level for league 1. If he does join hopefully gets more than 4 or 5 games to prove himself before getting punted off to Elgin on loan.

Personally not seen much of Aaron Reid so can't really comment.

Rumarn will probably be away so that leaves Megginson (assuming he stays) and Connell (not sure about how long his contract is) and neither of them I'm convinced can lead the line to replace Rumarn. Mitch seems quite injury prone now and obviously not as consistent anymore whereas Connell just isn't as good as a Burrell or Megginson from 2-3 seasons ago.

14 minutes ago, covefan97 said:

Max Berry has been good whenever I've watched him, but like you say not sure if he's at the level for league 1. If he does join hopefully gets more than 4 or 5 games to prove himself before getting punted off to Elgin on loan.

Personally not seen much of Aaron Reid so can't really comment.

Rumarn will probably be away so that leaves Megginson (assuming he stays) and Connell (not sure about how long his contract is) and neither of them I'm convinced can lead the line to replace Rumarn. Mitch seems quite injury prone now and obviously not as consistent anymore whereas Connell just isn't as good as a Burrell or Megginson from 2-3 seasons ago.

Connell has 1 year left although looks disinterest under Hartley and I don't blame him. His fitness isn't great and I can see him going in the summer.

Aaron Reid for me is a Highland League player, at this point in his career anyway.

I expect our release list will be substantial 

11 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Connell has 1 year left although looks disinterest under Hartley and I don't blame him. His fitness isn't great and I can see him going in the summer.

Aaron Reid for me is a Highland League player, at this point in his career anyway.

I expect our release list will be substantial 

Had a quick look at transfermarkt for our players that are out of contract (doubt it's all 100% accurate says Scully out of contract but he's signed up until 2025 I'm sure).

The list was

Paul McGowan

Mark Reynolds 

Iain Vigurs 

Mitch Megginson 

Cameron Stewart (End of loan)

Rumarn Burrell 

Dajon Golding 

McGowan, Reynolds, Golding and Vigurs will likely be away. Like you've said Burrell will have signed elsewhere Mitch will probably stay and obviously Stewart will be back at Ipswich. And there's still a chance a few who are contracted could get mutually terminated or get sold/loaned out.

Posted (edited)

Are we the only club in Scotland who have to guess who is leaving the building?

Ive heard Burrell is off to Ross County which I guess cannot be announced till after the end of the SPL season? That’s a good fit for him if it’s true I would think but not massively convinced he will be prolific in that division with the sort of support you get. Chances will be at a premium. I imagine Simon Murray goes to Tannadice? That seems to be rumoured. 

Anyhoo, I suspect from what’s being said, Reynolds, Golding, Jones, McGowan are away, you can’t include Vigurs as he is technically gone. Gillingham I also suspect will be away too. I think Connell stays. Will Meggy go? I think there is an inclination to give him one last season. 

I can’t see Max Berry signing but I would take him. Perfect age and has experience of a tough league. No one really knows for sure if decent HL players will make the jump, but others not as talented as him have so it’s worth a shot. Aaron Reid definitely no. I’ve heard we were keen on Archie Crowther who apparently is a CB at Dundee U18 but I know nothing about him or how true that is. As long as we are not scouring the English non league again……. Hartley knows this is his last chance to get it right on the transfer front ….

Edited by Watson Nimrod

28 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Are we the only club in Scotland who have to guess who is leaving the building?

Ive heard Burrell is off to Ross County which I guess cannot be announced till after the end of the SPL season? That’s a good fit for him if it’s true I would think but not massively convinced he will be prolific in that division with the sort of support you get. Chances will be at a premium. I imagine Simon Murray goes to Tannadice? That seems to be rumoured. 

Anyhoo, I suspect from what’s being said, Reynolds, Golding, Jones, McGowan are away, you can’t include Vigurs as he is technically gone. Gillingham I also suspect will be away too. I think Connell stays. Will Meggy go? I think there is an inclination to give him one last season. 

I can’t see Max Berry signing but I would take him. Perfect age and has experience of a tough league. No one really knows for sure if decent HL players will make the jump, but others not as talented as him have so it’s worth a shot. Aaron Reid definitely no. I’ve heard we were keen on Archie Crowther who apparently is a CB at Dundee U18 but I know nothing about him or how true that is. As long as we are not scouring the English non league again……. Hartley knows this is his last chance to get it right on the transfer front ….

Think clubs can announce players they've got signed up if they want to, but usually don't to protect the players and avoid a John Souttar situation, where he was given abuse for half a season since it was announced he was off to rangers at the end of that season.

Rumarn has been excellent for us, but for me the top flight is a step too far for him. I could've maybe seen it had county gone down, which I highly doubt they will. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Like yourself haven't seen much about Archie Crowther, but agree on the fact that Hartley needs to stop looking at the English non league for players. His 'better' signings (standard isn't particularly great) came from the Scottish leagues or had previous experience over here. Burrell, Kerr, Doyle, Sena, Darge and Connell have at least done some good for us unlike his signings from lower leagues/non league in England in  Phipps, Golding and Jones.