Cove Thread

5 hours ago, Jo9 said:

I wouldn’t be against that to be honest.  

Nope neither me. He might not quite be up to the rigours of a relegation battle in the SPL but I suspect he has at least 1 season at L1 level……

Will the threat he poses to the manager if things start poorly be too much for our manager? 

24 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Nope neither me. He might not quite be up to the rigours of a relegation battle in the SPL but I suspect he has at least 1 season at L1 level……

Will the threat he poses to the manager if things start poorly be too much for our manager? 

That threat has to go against some deep engrained roots.  2 years of a contract worth of roots.

Andrew Considine away from st Johnstone. Surely he will banging on the door to join toy guys? Can’t see the Dundee clubs being interested. Won’t want to move away from the area 

32 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Andrew Considine away from st Johnstone. Surely he will banging on the door to join toy guys? Can’t see the Dundee clubs being interested. Won’t want to move away from the area 

At 37 he's maybe got another solid year left, saying that Sean Dillon is 40 and still going strong. Consi doesn't need the money clearly so would be playing for the love of the game. I'm not sure I see it happening to be honest.

Would he want to play under Hartley? Very interested to see how ambitious our signings will be. Feels like a crunch time for the club.

2 minutes ago, covefan97 said:

Kyle Connell signed for Clyde after his contract with us was mutually terminated 

https://coverangersfc.com/2024/06/04/kyle-connell-departs/

Disappointed with this, thought there was a bit of promise there that just wasn’t getting a chance.

Was always going to be hard to get a start with Burrell scoring like he was and Mitch, well I don’t know what Mitch did but I am sure if he got benched people would have complained. 

1 minute ago, Bearded Bully said:

How do you guys rate him? Could he do a job in League 2

Decent player and I'm quite confident he'll hit 15+ goals for you next season. Felt with another season here and more playing time, he'd have gotten better and contributed more. Can't blame him for leaving as he needs to develop, and being benched behind Megginson wouldn't help that.

32 minutes ago, covefan97 said:

Kyle Connell signed for Clyde after his contract with us was mutually terminated 

https://coverangersfc.com/2024/06/04/kyle-connell-departs/

27 minutes ago, Bearded Bully said:

How do you guys rate him? Could he do a job in League 2

So that's how it's done ... nice one.  OK Clyde, our superstar "striker" Kyle Doherty is ready and waiting for you to persuade him to mutually terminate his contract at Palmerston ... get it done lads ... you know it makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

So that's how it's done ... nice one.  OK Clyde, our superstar "striker" Kyle Doherty is ready and waiting for you to persuade him to mutually terminate his contract at Palmerston ... get it done lads ... you know it makes sense.

Been there, done that, no thanks!

Connell, for me, wasn't quite top half L1 quality. He's got a massive throw, is a fairly natural finisher and can score the odd worldie. With game time will he improve; probably. For L2, it's a decent bit of business.

I don't see him ever playing above L1 level though.

His fitness is a worry, looks like he carries a few extra pounds, sometimes doesn't empty the tank and is prone to falling over at the slightest touch.

He'll get goals and contribute but whether he lights up the league remains to be seen. All the best to him and Clyde next season.

Posted (edited)

So most of the clubs around us have already done a fair chuck of their business whereas all we seem to have done is release players ….. oh and recruit a sports scientist! 

Disappointed Kyle is away as he clearly had potential and must have been frustrated that an average Mitch was keeping him out of the side. That’s the rub with Cove, unless Mitch had an arm hanging off and we persuaded Messi to come on loan the chances are Hartley would pick a one armed Mitch over anyone else. That’s the sort of devoid of ideas flump Hartley is. It’s never going to change. There is no progressive thinking. The only progressive thinkers are those choosing to wait and see who we sign before they renew their season books….. but hey corporate is on to a waiting list so all is OK. They haven’t yet told you it’s looking like 2 on the bench from October but don’t worry as you will be pished by the time the game kicks off!! 

Looks like a long season ahead and you can just imagine the powers that be are preying ICT go bust and get a 10 point deduction. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

You can never discount the benefit a sport scientist will bring to the squad…

Losing Connell was disappointing, but I have to say, if he wasn’t getting started last season, why was he gunna started this season? I don’t really blame him for leaving. 

I am not overly concerned about the lack of signings yet, it could be seen two ways.  1. We are not rushing out and getting whoever is available and instead we are taking our time.  Or realistically 2.  We have tried and have been told to piss off by players.

Its not time to worry yet, that comes towards the end of the league cup group stages when we have gone through 6 generations of the trialist clan and still haven’t signed anyone.

On 07/06/2024 at 23:18, Jo9 said:

You can never discount the benefit a sport scientist will bring to the squad…

Losing Connell was disappointing, but I have to say, if he wasn’t getting started last season, why was he gunna started this season? I don’t really blame him for leaving. 

I am not overly concerned about the lack of signings yet, it could be seen two ways.  1. We are not rushing out and getting whoever is available and instead we are taking our time.  Or realistically 2.  We have tried and have been told to piss off by players.

Its not time to worry yet, that comes towards the end of the league cup group stages when we have gone through 6 generations of the trialist clan and still haven’t signed anyone.

Yeah but if we had come out early (Like Peterhead did) with some bold statements about these were our targets etc. think it would have given some hope that we had a plan. 

I’m happy to believe we do but on past form we haven’t had a plan so it makes you wonder. 

13 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Yeah but if we had come out early (Like Peterhead did) with some bold statements about these were our targets etc. think it would have given some hope that we had a plan. 

I genuinely think that would be worse for the Club, imagine they came out and said we are going to sign x, y and z type players.  It doesn't work out, they are going to get more flak for that than not signing anyone.  Coming out with those sort of statements is just giving people a rod to beat you with if things don't work out, and as a fan base, we do seem very unforgiving in letting the club know how we feel about things, even if they don't listen and the comments disappear into the social media ether.

Its the same with the new stands, I can understand why they are not announcing anything until its set in stone, tiny wee bit updates would just be frustrating, all we need to know is when planning permission is granted, when work starts and if there will be any disruptions to the ground while they are being built, but the way some people are commenting about it elsewhere its like some grand conspiracy.  That is just an aside as it was fresh in mind after a Facebook scroll this morning but it felt relevant to talking about fan expectations.

They do need to work on communication and a key part of that for me will be them knowing when not to say something.

28 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

I genuinely think that would be worse for the Club, imagine they came out and said we are going to sign x, y and z type players.  It doesn't work out, they are going to get more flak for that than not signing anyone.  Coming out with those sort of statements is just giving people a rod to beat you with if things don't work out, and as a fan base, we do seem very unforgiving in letting the club know how we feel about things, even if they don't listen and the comments disappear into the social media ether.

No you misunderstand I was more referring to the way other clubs make a play of making it clear when they make the signing that the individual was a target.

Take Max Berry if the P&J (and not my ropey source) was to believed he was a genuine target of ours but if you read the Facebook comments after he signed it was clear Peterhead had targeted the player as soon as he indicated he was leaving Buckie and it was a long process because they genuinely wanted him because of what he was going to bring to the club. 

Now it all may be shite, but it looks like it’s a plan, it looks like they signed the guy because they scouted him (which they did) and identified him. Who are we identifying? 

Also I’ve never made any comment about the stands in fact all I’ve ever said is that it’s great to be back abusing oppo goalkeepers again!! 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Watson Nimrod said:

No you misunderstand I was more referring to the way other clubs make a play of making it clear when they make the signing that the individual was a target.

Take Max Berry if the P&J (and not my ropey source) was to believed he was a genuine target of ours but if you read the Facebook comments after he signed it was clear Peterhead had targeted the player as soon as he indicated he was leaving Buckie and it was a long process because they genuinely wanted him because of what he was going to bring to the club. 

Now it all may be shite, but it looks like it’s a plan, it looks like they signed the guy because they scouted him (which they did) and identified him. Who are we identifying? 

Also I’ve never made any comment about the stands in fact all I’ve ever said is that it’s great to be back abusing oppo goalkeepers again!! 🤣🤣

Ah fair enough I can see that now.

I don't really see the point in revealing that until you sign the player, realistically it should be a given that during the transfer window before the season we have identified players we want to sign and are making moves to do so.  I would find it insulting to our collective intelligence if Cove put out a statement saying they were doing business as usual work.  

I wasn't saying you had, I was just raising it as an aside which I felt was slightly relevant, looking back now, not sure why if I am honest, probably just more amused at some of the comments more than anything.

On 10/06/2024 at 12:55, Jo9 said:

I wasn't saying you had, I was just raising it as an aside which I felt was slightly relevant, looking back now, not sure why if I am honest, probably just more amused at some of the comments more than anything.

Ah I see too! I thought you were confusing me with another good looking bald guy with glasses on the supporters forum 🤣🤣🤣🤣

36 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Ah I see too! I thought you were confusing me with another good looking bald guy with glasses on the supporters forum 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh no no.  I think I know who most of the regular posters on here are now.

If I thought you were him there would have been a comment about phoning architects 😂