Cove Thread

Absolutely delighted with the signing of Mark Gallagher. And one I didn't see coming. A 2 year permanent deal for someone who looks like A) Will improve the squad now and B) has plenty room to improve is not like us! Was he out of contract? or have we paid a fee?

Was a shame to see him go, but the chatter seems to be that he wanted PT football again.  I think at that point better to let him go.

Definitely think he will do well at Elgin, who seem to be building a decent squad this season.  I love a day out at Elgin so hopefully we see them in the future.

1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

Absolutely delighted with the signing of Mark Gallagher. And one I didn't see coming. A 2 year permanent deal for someone who looks like A) Will improve the squad now and B) has plenty room to improve is not like us! Was he out of contract? or have we paid a fee?

Completely agree with the above. He could easily play regularly for us. He wanted PT to also pursue further education it turns out but we are hybrid currently so we could have offered that. As much as the former will be true, he clearly wanted game time and Hartley couldn't see his talent. We lose out and Elgin definitely win here.

Hope he and Dajon propel Elgin to the playoffs and a successful season.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 hours ago, Jo9 said:

I am sure one of Scottish footballs many expert financial accountants will be able to explain.

Are we to take it then from your comment that any debate of a fairly precarious on paper situation is discarded without the relevant qualifications?! It’s a place for discussion and I’m certainly nae an accountant but to anyone with a basic balance sheet knowledge the club is highly dependant on benefactors and loans. That’s fine short term and if everyone is getting  along it’s hunkydory but it comes with a huge risk in the long term, situations can change quickly. One thing that did make me chuckle was the playing squad being worth £900k, I guess it’s also for insurance purposes but we would be lucky to get a tiny fraction of that on the market. I think a lot of what you post is sensible v the fantasists and BS on here but it would be blinkered of any supporter to realise that the club is not financed like the majority of smaller clubs and those that have been financed like that have in many cases eventually paid a high price. Brushing all comment aside on the basis that you need to be qualified to make an informed comment because it doesn’t suit is a dangerous approach. 

Edited by Bieldside Boy

11 minutes ago, Bieldside Boy said:

From your comment are we to take it that any debate of a fairly precarious (on paper) situation is simply to be written off? I’m not an accountant but to anyone with a basic balance sheet knowledge it’s absolutely dependant on benefactors not pulling the plug. I don’t/hope think that’s going to happen. One thing that did make me chuckle was the playing squad being worth £900k, I know it’s also for insurance purposes but we would be lucky to get a tiny fraction of that on the market. I think a lot of what you post is sensible v the fantasists and BS on here but it would be blinkered of any supporter not to realise that the club is not financed like the majority of clubs in this division and those that have been financed like that have eventually paid a high price. Brushing it aside in that you need to be qualified to make an informed comment is a dangerous approach. 

It was a take the piss comment about how any time some form of Scottish football finances is revealed it seems like half of the fans are qualified accountants nothing more nothing less. 

2 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

It was a take the piss comment about how any time some form of Scottish football finances is revealed it seems like half of the fans are qualified accountants nothing more nothing less. 

Fair reply, it was my mistake for thinking it was similar to the type of shutting down that goes on over on the fans FB page that happens when uncomfortable truths are discussed. 

That is basically the type of thing I was imagining that would happen.  I mean just look at the poster of that tweet in here, taken one look and his first thought was "fiddling figures".

On a serious note, on the face of it those numbers don't look great but there is not enough context with them for me to make an informed idea of what it means for the club.  If for example it came with a report that the debt wasn't being serviced or debtors were calling in the debt that would make me worry.

6 hours ago, Jo9 said:

You are right, we don’t know who’s owed what and there is no indication there are any issues but in risk terms it’s significant.  In my occasional comments I’ve indicated how important it is with that sort of risk profile that the club doesn’t stagnate on the pitch as the model really needs some sort of growth to become less reliant on one or two individuals, good eggs they may be but folk always move on in some form or another. From the clubs social media comments it seems a fair few haven’t renewed their season tickets and that’s a worry, a positive start (and the arrival of some well Kent faces before Saturday) is a must to recapture the momentum. 

Edited by Bieldside Boy

58 minutes ago, Bieldside Boy said:

You are right, we don’t know who’s owed what and there is no indication there are any issues but in risk terms it’s significant.  In my occasional comments I’ve indicated how important it is with that sort of risk profile that the club doesn’t stagnate on the pitch as the model really needs some sort of growth to become less reliant on one or two individuals, good eggs they may be but folk always move on in some form or another. From the clubs social media comments it seems a fair few haven’t renewed their season tickets and that’s a worry, a positive start (and the arrival of some well Kent faces before Saturday) is a must to recapture the momentum. 

I am one of the ones that didn’t renew my season ticket.  

But that was because i checked the fixtures, holidays, other plans and realised it wasn’t worth it for the first half of the season, will probably get the half season ticket if they offer it.

Peterhead beat us to the signing of Cammy Smith. That tells me everything about us financially and our recruiting strategy.

If he wanted PT, offer him it but clearly it's FT or nothing.

Tremendous signing for the Blue Toon. This is a player that supposedly signed a conditional PCA with us in January 2023 but has been lured to L2.

Screenshot_20240801_180454_X.jpg

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Peterhead beat us to the signing of Cammy Smith. That tells me everything about us financially and our recruiting strategy.

If he wanted PT, offer him it but clearly it's FT or nothing.

Tremendous signing for the Blue Toon. This is a player that supposedly signed a conditional PCA with us in January 2023 but has been lured to L2.

Screenshot_20240801_180454_X.jpg

Fantastic bit of business from Peterhead here. Trying work out if he came through with a few the boys there but think he’s a few years younger?

Would you look to take in Strachan/Brown management team in when the time comes when Hartley moves on? 

4 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Fantastic bit of business from Peterhead here. Trying work out if he came through with a few the boys there but think he’s a few years younger?

Would you look to take in Strachan/Brown management team in when the time comes when Hartley moves on? 

Think he was at the Dons same time as Jordan

So is Alfie Bavidge now in the Dons first team squad? Presumably then that will mean if he is going out on loan they will be looking at a Championship side?

Judging by the rumours I thought he would have signed by now? 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

Something I think the Club may have forgotten to announce but was mentioned in Hartleys league preview.  

Josh Kerr has also left for personal reasons.  

I liked Josh, but just felt he could be inconsistent, you didn't know which version of him you were getting each game.

10 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

Something I think the Club may have forgotten to announce but was mentioned in Hartleys league preview.  

Josh Kerr has also left for personal reasons.  

I liked Josh, but just felt he could be inconsistent, you didn't know which version of him you were getting each game.

Any idea what the reasons were? Travel? Would absolutely take Kerr at the Rock given we're crying out for a centre half. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Any idea what the reasons were? Travel? Would absolutely take Kerr at the Rock given we're crying out for a centre half. 

I might be misremembering, but I am sure Hartley said at the supporters club meeting that it was he wanted to be closer to family.

43 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He flattered to deceive with us so I'm not too worried about his departure, granted we're now left with an 18 year old youngster and Will Gillingham who wouldn't look out of place in the Highland League. Our weakeness just got weaker! There's got to be reinforcements coming.

In fairness to Josh everyone around him in our defence had an absolute nightmare last season and it was hard to stand out.

He's got enough attributes to be a solid acquisition for a L1 club. Does fancy himself playing higher up the park and sometimes gets dragged out of position. Under a manager than keeps him at CB and plays someone component alongside him then he'll do a job. Does attack the ball in both boxes.

10 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He flattered to deceive with us so I'm not too worried about his departure, granted we're now left with an 18 year old youngster and Will Gillingham who wouldn't look out of place in the Highland League. Our weakeness just got weaker! There's got to be reinforcements coming.

In fairness to Josh everyone around him in our defence had an absolute nightmare last season and it was hard to stand out.

He's got enough attributes to be a solid acquisition for a L1 club. Does fancy himself playing higher up the park and sometimes gets dragged out of position. Under a manager than keeps him at CB and plays someone component alongside him then he'll do a job. Does attack the ball in both boxes.

He seems the right kind of profile for us right now tbh but their will likely be better paying options available to him. A few players now lying around without a club that I'm interested to see where they land.