Gazzetta Football Italia

This is a very slight tangent, but I've been listening to this podcast recently.

It's a day by day recap of the 1990 World Cup. Half the players seemed to feature in Serie A around that era anyway.

Vincerà! The story of Italia '90:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1xBcY1l2wBOLJF3Lkfo47V?si=1eoYa2caRnKUuWdCTn-5Jg

2 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Fiorentina were ace back in the day, Rui Costa and Batigol.

Think the Italian League is starting to improve, still some way to geong the top League in Europe again.

Steffen Effenberg in the same side

It's always weird seeing clips of Juve playing at a near empty Stadio Delle Alpi.
There was some relegation battle that season.
image.thumb.png.3c9722e0b1e6c018882f811444e56558.png
Interesting to note Ancona are no longer with us having folded in 2010. A fairly obscure club from the city became a spiritual sucessor by changing name to US Ancona 1905 but folded in 2017. US Anconitana ASD sprung up the same year & are in the 5th tier currently.

Fun fact about Ancona is during their last few years some sporting association ran by the Vatican's Conference Of Bishops purchased an 80% share in the club.

Guest JTS98
On 25/05/2019 at 06:22, nsr said:

I always wondered why Italian football, which was on top of the world in the mid to late 90s, is now (arguably Juventus aside) so far behind Germany, Ingurland and Spain. Apparently it's to do with a failure (or inability) to maximise revenue through use of their stadia for other purposes or corporate hosting. Most Italian clubs rent their grounds off whatever the Italian equivalent of the local cooncil is and aren't in a position to upgrade them or use them for other purposes that benefit the club. Juventus are an exception - they built their own privately owned stadium a few years ago and presumably that's one reason they're leaving the rest so far behind.

I've wondered this as well, and the best I can come up with is a mix of poor management and the stadium issue you mention and a couple of other factors.

One of which is bad timing in having their drop-off just as the Champions League went megasuperduperglobal$$$. If you go back to the 90s when Italian teams were hoovering up the UEFA competitions and constantly getting to finals etc, the tournaments had less global reach. Tv exposure and global branding etc wasn't such a huge thing then. So outside Europe this would have passed without much comment, while a club like Barcelona has come into its most successful era in the global tv era, and has taken full financial advantage of that. They're massive in the Middle East and Asia, despite playing in a league that isn't very much more competitive than Scotland's. You meet a lot of people in Asia who assume Barcelona have always been a successful European Cup team. That's the way it's presented. The past involving other clubs doesn't really exist. The narrative is shaped by today.

Barcelona and Real Madrid are status symbols in the Middle East and Asia. It's the Champions League exposure that has made them so. Even though the time difference in Asia is shite for the CL, lots of young people 'support' these teams through youtube highlights. Had the tv explosion been at the end of the 80s, it would be Milan shirts you see all over the place.

Had Italy's golden period come now, the financial rewards of it would have been so much greater. I think their timing was just a bit out.

There's also the influence that the personality cults around that media exposure have had. I've not lived in the UK for years, so don't know what it's like there. But in Asia you literally have Ronaldo and Messi supporters. Their ongoing Real Madrid/Barcelona run cemented that in public consciousness. You definitely see more of a Juventus shirt presence, for example, since Ronaldo went there. It would be the same if Messi went to Inter or something.

I think another factor, and I could be miles off here, might be language and culture. German football doesn't really have much of a global reach. Not in the way English football and Barcelona and Real Madrid do. But then Italian and German football lack a cultural bridge. Spanish football is accessible to the Latin American culture in terms of language and the number of players who go there.

English football happens in English so is accessible to places like the Middle East and Africa where English is widely spoken and there are historical and cultural links. Also, loads of people speak English. After Germany won the World Cup in 2014, I noticed a huge push on tv in Asia to make the Bundesliga something that happens in English. It's not really worked. There isn't the level of historical interest and generational passing on of interest.

I think Italian football, like German football, lacks that sort of natural market, and just missed the tv/media/hype explosion exposure to win the new markets. But I might be talking pish.

Edited by JTS98

You’re definitely not talking pish. The EPL and La Liga are naturally more accessible and easier to follow for the exact reasons you mentioned; language and culture. People outside of Europe are naturally going to be drawn to leagues where they understand/have a connection with. 

Italy and Germany just don’t have this as much as Spain and England/Uk.

We all thought it was 'GOAL LAZIO!' at the end of the theme tune!
It definitely was the best and most entertaining league in the world at the time.
Here's 14.30 of a 1995 episode;

I was enjoying that video until I saw the Genoa stadium. Memories of Costa Rica came flooding back...

I think La Liga has fucked it (in this country at least) by hiding themselves on an obscure channel very few people have - there's much less interest in it in general now compared to when it was on Sky Sports. Definitely a chance for the Bundesliga or Serie A to make some inroads in that respect.

The stadiums are also an issue, as clubs often share grounds, such as Inter and Milan, or Roma and Lazio.

So if someone pays for advertising at a stadium, they only get half the revenue each.

Few clubs own their grounds as well. Only ones I can think of who do are Juventus, Atalanta & Udinese.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 22/05/2019 at 21:52, DA Baracus said:
We all thought it was 'GOAL LAZIO!' at the end of the theme tune!
It definitely was the best and most entertaining league in the world at the time.
Here's 14.30 of a 1995 episode;

I was enjoying that video until I saw the Genoa stadium. Memories of Costa Rica came flooding back...

Joke's on you as I was only 5 at the time so have no memory of it.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I think La Liga has fucked it (in this country at least) by hiding themselves on an obscure channel very few people have - there's much less interest in it in general now compared to when it was on Sky Sports. Definitely a chance for the Bundesliga or Serie A to make some inroads in that respect.

I've got a cheap subscription for Premier Sports to watch La Liga and Serie A during lockdown and their coverage is utterly tinpot. The only adverts they show on La Liga TV are for La Liga TV.

Guest JTS98
5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Maybe. But what does it really mean?

There will be a few punters who are right into it and genuinely have a German or Italian team. But your average viewer has no real reason to tune in. At least not consistently.

There are only so many hours in the week and so many things to do.

ETA: If it was on free tv, like the good old days, then of course. But beyond that? I don't know.

Edited by JTS98

Rui Costa.

Now there was a football player.

Euro 2000 - Keegan's England 2-0 up before half time. Rui Costa made it his personal quest to ensure that it wasn't happening.

He succeeded - turning it into another fine night watching England.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Rui Costa.

Now there was a football player.

Euro 2000 - Keegan's England 2-0 up before half time. Rui Costa made it his personal quest to ensure that it wasn't happening.

He succeeded - turning it into another fine night watching England.

He also scored an often forgotten belter against them in 2004 to help sword the Golden Generation. A night capped off by the Portugal goalkeeper taking off his gloves and scoring the winning penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdtDsto4gJk