Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

With Lamont you will get an outstanding performance 1 in 7 games maybe  mostly against the better sizes, then vanish for weeks, this season he would run for about 10 minutes before looking absolutely shattered.

There is a good player in there but clearly not got the right attitude but good luck to him I hope he turns it around and has a decent career in the game 

I'm a bit of an outlier on Howie. He had a great attitude and always seemed very visibly committed to our cause. Memorably, he turned in a few good shifts toward the end of this season. One of those was away at Peterhead where played in the middle of the park. But all that said, I don't recognise the descriptions that others have given of him. While he was an improvement on Rumsby and McNiff insofar as he was better in possession, able to play out of trouble and things like that, he wasn't much more mobile or any better at the basics of defending. For those reasons, I never thought of him as a player we should've been desperate to keep. Like his new teammate Scott Taggart, Howie's a defender that could help Alloa play a certain way. But I think they'll need a more rugged central defender beside him if they want to get back into the championship.

I share the worry about Rumsby ending up as a starter. But I don't fret over finding better defenders than McNiff or Howie.

On Lamont going to Stranraer, I think that could be a good move for him. Like Howie, he comes with conditions attached. All players do of course. Some more than others, that's all. I don't agree that Lamont ever had a bad attitude other than perhaps to his fitness this season. That's been a tough thing for a lot of players to maintain. But I grant that Lamont did seem to struggle more than others and certainly put on weight. In ability terms though, he's a great player. Tidy, quick enough, good mover in the last third, moves it quickly and has an eye for a cutting pass. The conditions attached to Lamont would be that, like Howie, you'll have to have a good pressure relief valve in your team to see a return from him. Lamont isn't a player that'll be much use if you're camped in without a good counter attacking game. The ideal for him would be playing in a team who can rely on being in the opposition's half for decent spells. Then you'll get a good creative midfielder who'll chip in with some good ones from distance.

I think we owe as much to Lamont as we do to Howie for staying up this season. The goal he scored and the other that he more or less created against Dumbarton were crucial. Both being fantastic examples of what he can do in team who're really taking the game to the other.

Edited by Clydeside

Howie was on the Clyde podcast less than a week before he left saying he will be signing a new contract.. went to alloa not full time.. not a league above for probably £30/50 extra a week, anyone that jumps ship like that can happily leave as I only want players that actually want to be here playing 

f**k um 

8 hours ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Howie was on the Clyde podcast less than a week before he left saying he will be signing a new contract.. went to alloa not full time.. not a league above for probably £30/50 extra a week, anyone that jumps ship like that can happily leave as I only want players that actually want to be here playing 

f**k um 

You've absolutely no idea how much Alloa have offered him. He may well have intended to sign a contract with us before he knew Alloa were interested. They may have told him he'd be their first choice centreback, which for long periods at Clyde he wasn't. They may have said he won't be punted into midfield or right back, which he was numerous times for us. There could be a myriad of other reasons for him wanting to join Alloa.

But a player is absolutely not "jumping ship" if, when their contract is up, they leave a club who will be lucky to avoid relegation to join a club which will be aiming for promotion from the same division. 

If we'd actually wanted to keep Howie we'd have offered him a contract 6 months ago, something that (Goodwillie aside) Clyde are very poor at doing.

Some Clyde fans seem to have a bizarre habit of wanting to hate any player who has left the club for no reason at all.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

The big thing for this off season is absolutely getting our defence sorted. We have faced the same issues for 3-4 seasons now, we struggle to defend our wide and in our own box, with no one picking up any loose balls. We absolutely need to get actual full backs and stop the ball coming Into the box, we have lost so many goals this way. Getting Otoo back would be a start. We also need CB who can defend the box but also across themselves a no nonsense player like Sean Crichton would fit that bill as would Neill and Mckeever from Dumbarton but we would need to pair them with someone who has a bit of pace and can pass the ball, this is why Howie going was a bit of a pain but we can find another Howie I’m sure.

Then in the midfield as good an impact as Nicoll made he isn’t the option we need a tidy player who can tackle and is willing to take the ball short off the goalie, we have missed that since Grant left and tbh Gomis would fit the bill perfectly.

Going forward we are really strong but we can’t depend on that all the time and a few more additions up there wouldn’t hurt. We NEED to sign a target man, there wil be points this season where we will utilise the long ball and Goodwillie isn’t the answer in that regard. I also think he would benefit from someone else bullying defenders and creating space for him. Who this man is I do not know Mcguigan would have been a shout, could we take a punt on Blair Henderson?

Edited by Ocelot1877

23 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Going forward we are really strong but we can’t depend on that all the time and a few more additions up there wouldn’t hurt. We NEED to sign a target man, there wil be points this season where we will utilise the long ball and Goodwillie isn’t the answer in that regard. I also think he would benefit from someone else bullying defenders and creating space for him. Who this man is I do not know Mcguigan would have been a shout, could we take a punt on Blair Henderson?

I liked Henderson for that one superb season he had in League 2 but he hasn't really done it since, he only scored 3 in 17 the season after and 5 in 11 last season.

I would have thought Ross Forbes would have been a decent signing for us if ever he became available, always thought he was a level above Dumbarton whenever we played them but that might not be the case all in all. Still quite surprised he's went to Stenny.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

9 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I liked Henderson for that one superb season he had in League 2 but he hasn't really done it since, he only scored 3 in 17 the season after and 5 in 11 last season.

I would have thought Ross Forbes would have been a decent signing for us if ever he became available, always thought he was a level above Dumbarton whenever we played them but that might not be the case all in all. Still quite surprised he's went to Stenny.

Agreed RE Henderson but I believe he has had some injuries and fell out of favour at Edinburgh, but 5 in 11 is still a goal every 2 games. Sammon is available...

Forbes was really good in the playoff final first leg and pretty much kept Dumbarton up in that regard he’s a guy that at the very least I would have liked to have on our bench. Joe McKee is someone I would welcome with open arms.

15 hours ago, dusty bin said:

Views on Lamont guys????

Thanks.

Really good player and I would have liked to keep him as an impact player off the bench. Scored some really nice goals for us over the years. Really needs someone to do the running for him in midfield  especially defensively but the effort is absolutely there he just seems he can’t keep up for 90 in league 1. He’s really smart on the counter attack and always looks to play the decisive ball to differing results but he was one of our few players looking to take that chance. If you have players moving around him and creating space I think he will be a really big hit and in all honesty I think he’s been my favourite Clyde player these last few seasons

4 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

My Celtic mad mate says Otoo’o will be more involved with the first team this season so I can’t see him being loaned out 

That’s a shame to hear but then again they don’t have a manager or a DOF, once they come In they might not fancy him. Can always hold on hope 

Given the prevalance of target men and plodding centre halves/midfielders that are being suggested, I reckon the next suggestion will be that we should just get rid of Lennon and bring back Duffy.

8 minutes ago, David W said:

Given the prevalance of target men and plodding centre halves/midfielders that are being suggested, I reckon the next suggestion will be that we should just get rid of Lennon and bring back Duffy.

Like it or not we haven’t been doing the basics defensively for a couple of years now, and going forward at times over the last two years we have opted for the long ball to absolutely no one. Nothing wrong with having a plan B. 
It just so happens that Jim Duffy teams excel where we have failed. A little from Column A and a Little from Column B doesn’t hurt 

Edited by Ocelot1877

23 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Fucking hell :lol:

David Goodwillie raped someone, but signing someone who votes Tory would be a step too far?

Really ? I must have missed that one, the last i heard the case was dropped due to lack of evidence but if being accused and being guilty are the same thing in your book then fill your boots.

1 hour ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Like it or not we haven’t been doing the basics defensively for a couple of years now, and going forward at times over the last two years we have opted for the long ball to absolutely no one. Nothing wrong with having a plan B. 
It just so happens that Jim Duffy teams excel where we have failed. A little from Column A and a Little from Column B doesn’t hurt 

Aiming for a plan B is the reason we end up wasting money on the likes of Eddie Ferns, Chris Johnston, Steve Kipre, Adam Martin and numerous others. Our money should be spent putting together a team that can exclusively play the way we want to play, which in turn means productive training sessions.

That style doesn't need to be the way we played when we ditched the aforementioned Nicoll during our promotion season. However, there has to be some sort of plan. Matching up Nicoll/Love with Cunningham/Cuddihy indicates we don't have a clue what we're trying to do.

36 minutes ago, David W said:

Aiming for a plan B is the reason we end up wasting money on the likes of Eddie Ferns, Chris Johnston, Steve Kipre, Adam Martin and numerous others. Our money should be spent putting together a team that can exclusively play the way we want to play, which in turn means productive training sessions.

That style doesn't need to be the way we played when we ditched the aforementioned Nicoll during our promotion season. However, there has to be some sort of plan. Matching up Nicoll/Love with Cunningham/Cuddihy indicates we don't have a clue what we're trying to do.

Not having a plan B is what leads to Tom Lang playing up front for 40 Minutes in must win games

I’d argue that those players coming in was down to poor recruitment rather than investing in a  plan B. Johnstone was hung out because Danny obviously fancied playing wide when he came in and then deciding to play more centrally not really much he can do about that. 

A good investment in a plan B is a completely different kettle of fish. Too often we get caught playing into teams hands by resorting to playing long balls or we are unable to break teams down. Our plan b is clearly to go long and has been for a while but we never have the personnel to do it, investing in rectifying that and blending the two styles isn’t a bad idea. Being one dimensional and not equipped to change will see us go down. Look at us and Dumbarton two very different teams with similar issues so it’s unsurprising to see both down at the bottom. Signing a target man doesn’t mean we HAVE to play that way, it just means when we do we can effectively. 

In terms of signing a clogging CB. You could probably count on both hands a game the amount of times we fail to clear the ball effectively, I.e. it hitting the first man on the edge of the box or players mishitting it etc. Getting the ball flushed out effectively moves us up the park. We aren’t good at that. 

We haven’t had a style or plan since we got promoted tbh 

Edited by Ocelot1877

1 hour ago, You Only Live Twice said:

Gomis? He has looked past it every time we have played Falkirk and isn’t much better in the walking red-card stakes than Nicoll. Wouldn’t come cheap either. Pass thanks!

His legs are starting to go and he can’t get about as much as he used too granted. However he does the dirty/industrial side of the game whilst being an experienced head. He is a huge huge upgrade on Nicoll who got a lot of praise when he came back. 

2 hours ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

Really ? I must have missed that one, the last i heard the case was dropped due to lack of evidence but if being accused and being guilty are the same thing in your book then fill your boots.

Enjoy your night m8.