Scotland vs Japan, 14th June, 2pm

lichtie23

2 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

Hope Solo can gtf.

Why?  She's being critical of Scotland and particularly the manager who doesn't seem to have instilled any self-belief in her team.  Scotland were slow, off the pace and didn't seem to have a clue defensively or in terms of movement.  She's getting right ripped into the coaching, and it's good to see.  Scotland have massively let themselves down so far.

4 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

According to the pundits they are saying VAR wasn't checked to review the possible penalty decisions. Does the ref have to request it?

The commentator said VAR had rejected the possible handball penalty. I took it from that that a 4th official must monitor VAR and make a decision.

1 minute ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Was willing Shirley to say we were cheated by the ref/VAR in her interview 

She didn't in the England game either.

She maybe needs to learn something from the boys game. Neil Lennon could maybe give her some useful tips.

Really don't understand why women are so against reducing the size of the pitch and net. Obviously they want to act like they can do whatever the men do but it really would raise the level of entertainment in the women's game.
Because it would be logistical nightmare for the women's game. They would need to change pitches every match, have a new set of goals made for every stadium they use etc.

The way it is means girls and boys can both play wherever they want, using whatever facilities they can get a hold of.

Adding in that complication would not help the development of the game.

38 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The commentator said VAR had rejected the possible handball penalty. I took it from that that a 4th official must monitor VAR and make a decision.

Yes, of course, they monitor it, its the only way it's supposed to work.
If it was for France, F*%k hell they would look at the incidents.

two stone waller penalties. The Japan woman kicks the scots girl before the ball and the other incident, the player moved her whole arm towards the ball.

Shocking 

Pretty gutted after that. Performance wise I was expecting a bit more from us, but Japan looked much better than England, certainly when attacking. A few costly defensive errors, and our attacking players struggled to unsettle the Japan defence during 1v1s. Still in with a chance to qualify if we beat Argentina. Although will need at least an England win/draw vs Argentina or we are out.

Oh, and some frustrating refereeing decisions also

1 hour ago, ForzaDundee said:

Really don't understand why women are so against reducing the size of the pitch and net. Obviously they want to act like they can do whatever the men do but it really would raise the level of entertainment in the women's game.

no doubt as the game develops short arse keepers will be a thing of the past. Any girls heading for 6ft plus with a bit of hand to eye coordination will be developed.

(speaking as a short arsed guy who had to give up on goalkeeping when I didn't grow)

6 minutes ago, dylan_leggatt said:

no doubt as the game develops short arse keepers will be a thing of the past. Any girls heading for 6ft plus with a bit of hand to eye coordination will be developed.

(speaking as a short arsed guy who had to give up on goalkeeping when I didn't grow)

I've got some very early childhood memories of watching this guy in goal. He was only 5ft 5" but absolutely brilliant.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituaries/jocky-robertson-1-521316

Well, just as a point of interest, Scotland vs Jamaica was a tough game for Scotland, I thought. As far as i know, Italy are not among the favourites, but they are currently 2-0 up on Jamaica after 30 minutes, and it could easily be six or seven.

Scotland are one of the weakest teams in the tournament, and they’ve got England and Japan in their group. Expectations should be tempered, even if one or two players were laughably poor.

That said, Scotland were dreadful today, and Kerr has looked outmatched in the games so far. There’s no excuse for the lack of belief or movement off the ball.

Just now, Mr. Brightside said:

Not having that, two horrendous errors for the goals we conceded and we should've scored a few more.

That's fair.  I though there wasn't much in it, but those horrendous errors are becoming quite the recurring theme.

Because it would be logistical nightmare for the women's game. They would need to change pitches every match, have a new set of goals made for every stadium they use etc.

The way it is means girls and boys can both play wherever they want, using whatever facilities they can get a hold of.

Adding in that complication would not help the development of the game.
You're probably right about the logistics but tbh, the more goals conceded like today where they are effectively getting lobbed while standing almost on their line is probably hindering their game just as much. A lot of people will struggle to show it much respect when goals can be conceded any time a ball is hit above the keeper's head.

Disappointed by that game today. 

Shocking lack of VAR decisions aside, thought we were really sloppy and didn’t turn up until 75 minutes. Rachel Corsie was really poor in defence and contributed to both goals. Most players had a poor game to be honest. It was almost like we just wanted to lose narrowly. Woeful defending at the first goal and the second was a penalty even if the Japanese striker made the most of it. The VAR is farcical. Didn’t even review their penalty or the Cuthbert incident and finally that blatant handball late on. Definite penalty. 

That said I don’t think we really deserved anything from the game. Seems like Shelley Kerr was happy to take two narrow defeats and take our chances against Argentina. Might work, might not. We’ll find out on Wednesday. 

I genuinely don’t understand VAR. I think the referee got both the penalty decisions right, but far less than the Japanese “handball” has been awarded a penalty, including in the Champions League Final. Either it’s used for anything or it’s used for nothing.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I genuinely don’t understand VAR. I think the referee got both the penalty decisions right, but far less than the Japanese “handball” has been awarded a penalty, including in the Champions League Final. Either it’s used for anything or it’s used for nothing.

I reckon it was broken today. Didn’t use it once