Wimbledon and the grass court season

lichtie23

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evans really should have won that and crucially shat the bed too many times. No better example than match point.

How sad never mind etc.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

IIRC you’re not allowed to volley the serve before it bounces, nor is the non-receiver allowed to return the serve. 

There's about 5 reasons why that's a fault. It should be a second serve/point to the recievers team depending on what serve they're on.

Its the server that's at 'fault' here. Her serve has gone wide of the service box where its means to land. 

There's about 5 reasons why that's a fault. It should be a second serve/point to the recievers team depending on what serve they're on.
Its the server that's at 'fault' here. Her serve has gone wide of the service box where its means to land. 
But it hasn't landed. That's the point.

Mental - but the point goes to the server.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Having not landed, how can you be sure? If, during a point, you volleyed it from behind the baseline into the ground you wouldn't win the point, would you? Even though it was definitely going out?

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But it hasn't landed. That's the point.

Mental - but the point goes to the server.

It had landed. It's landed in the wrong service box after hitting the non recivecer. Its a crazy rule, the non receiver isn't 'live' in the game at this point. It has to be a let at most for the server. 

I mind it happening at a Masters 1000 men's doubles final a few years back. Think the Bryan brothers were involved and they were calling for a rule change. 

7 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Having not landed, how can you be sure? If, during a point, you volleyed it from behind the baseline into the ground you wouldn't win the point, would you? Even though it was definitely going out?

Stop it.  It was clearly going to be a fault had it not hit her opponent. 

2 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Yes it was. But it did.

Your volley analogy was a terrible example. I know the rule and its quite clear that if should be a fault or a let. 

6 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Yep. 

She's through - got lovely nipples.

6 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Yep. 
She's through - got lovely nipples.

Konta is a solid wid, face small bit iffy, but body is A rated

5 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
5 hours ago, peasy23 said:
Did Bates ever make the second week? Evans takes the first set.

He did once, maybe twice. Is that Evans burd? She's a solid wid

3 hours ago, supermik said:

Serena has a very obvious piercing on her left nipple😲

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

And a mighty big pair of baldricks.

clint eastwood coffee GIF

20 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Your volley analogy was a terrible example. I know the rule and its quite clear that if should be a fault or a let. 

The ITF rules have a specific mention of this, and I’d suggest it disagrees with your take on it...

Case 7: A ball that has just been served hits the receiver or in doubles the receiver’s partner before it touches the ground. Which player wins the point?
Decision: The server wins the point, unless it is a service let.

https://www.itftennis.com/media/298557/298557.pdf

I worded it badly. I know what the rule is. And it needs changed. The server cannot benefit from an utter shite attempt at the serve. 

In everyone who has a working brains eyes, what she did constitutes a fault. 

13 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I worded it badly. I know what the rule is. And it needs changed. The server cannot benefit from an utter shite attempt at the serve. 

In everyone who has a working brains eyes, what she did constitutes a fault. 

The rule being shite doesn't mean its not a rule. Point goes to the server because any umpire with a "working brain" is going to apply the rules as they are actually written, not make them up on the spot. 

If they didn't have that rule the player at the net could get very aggressive and stand right on the service line to distract the server, even deflect any significant serve down the middle. The rule as it is takes all judgement out of the equation. You should still be able to move out of the way of a wayward serve, and the rarity with which it happens shows it's a non-issue as it is. 

Archived