Billy Gilmour

Kuro

I don't think he was particularly good tonight, but Brighton have been utter shite tbf. Gilmour lacks pace and doesn't track his runner. Nice assist and looked handy enough on the ball. 

I still wouldn't have him starting fir Scotland.

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

I don't think he was particularly good tonight, but Brighton have been utter shite tbf. Gilmour lacks pace and doesn't track his runner. Nice assist and looked handy enough on the ball. 

Get him started.

He showed he has the skill to unlock a defense.

13 minutes ago, velo army said:

I never seen the game so I can't agree or disagree, watched that pass about 10 times its brilliant vision and ability to pull it off.

What I would say tho is bear in mind hes still a young guy who's not got that much experience in the league (his Norwich stint was a disaster) Who's hardly played for a long time.

Edited by Bing.McCrosby

The Norwich stint where he played 24 times in the top flight and secured a big money move to an ambitious (and much better) Premier League team? 

Even Chelsea tried to keep him after it with the owner telling him the coach was about to get sacked to keep him on board.

Surely a disaster would be serious injury / not playing all year? Surely a disaster loan spell wouldn't end with interest from far better clubs?

He was a cut above that Norwich team, is he the only player from it still playing in the top flight? Means they were shit, not him.

So your "disaster" hyperbole has been well and truly called out here.

It was a great assist, one of the passes of the game. I only saw the highlights so can't comment as much on his overall performance, his record when he does play is excellent though - they look a lot worse without him (see the Everton game).

Of course, none of it matters because Johan Cruyff once made a better pass. 

Pending McTominays return to first team football soon, I also wouldn't have Gilmour starting just yet but he is a fantastic option off the bench. Really good strength in depth in key positions at the moment,  great time to be a Scotland fan!

Edited by Satoshi

15 hours ago, Londonwell said:

I thought Macgregor and Gilmour were a fantastic pairing that should play together whenever possible. However, given the way the midfield 3 performed in the last camp, who do you drop out for Gilmour now? Macgregor and Mcginn are pretty much undroppable and McTom offers more of a goal threat. Tough one. A good problem to have though. 

I think you have to try and get them all in the side. Something like:

Gunn

Hickey     xx*      Tierney      Robertson

McGregor 

Gilmour       McTominay

McGinn                                  Armstrong/Christie

Adams

I'm not sure I like the idea of forcing McGinn a bit wider but him, Adams and the LWF could rotate as they more or less do already.

The big problem will be if Ferguson keeps progressing as he has over the last year - we might really struggle to get our best players all on the pitch at that point.

* I have no idea who our best CB partnership is right now but I'm convinced Tierney is one of them.

Edited by albagubrath

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

Hickey would get ragdolled at CB. Not the same ilk as Tierney. 

What makes you say that? I would say he is better defensively and certainly better positionally than Tierney, who is much better going forward and a much better 'athlete'. I would say he is also better technically and is taller than Tierney, but he is currently certainly not as strong. At only 20 that will come. I think Hickey could play at CB for sure and be good at it. I didn't think he could play rightback tbh but he is now a starting EPL quality rightback at 20, there is little to suggest he couldn't play CB to a very high standard IMO.

47 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

What makes you say that? I would say he is better defensively and certainly better positionally than Tierney, who is much better going forward and a much better 'athlete'. I would say he is also better technically and is taller than Tierney, but he is currently certainly not as strong. At only 20 that will come. I think Hickey could play at CB for sure and be good at it. I didn't think he could play rightback tbh but he is now a starting EPL quality rightback at 20, there is little to suggest he couldn't play CB to a very high standard IMO.

I’m going by my experience of managing the Scotland squad on FM23 and having to shoehorn him in there due to injuries, he was fucking shite. There you go. 

I can’t see us playing a back four with both Tierney and Robertson there. It worked well when Robbo was injured but I think we stick with the 3-4-2-1 when both are available.

The only way you’re fitting McTominay, Gilmour and McGregor in together is putting McTominay at RCB or even in the Armstrong/Christie role. I can’t see him playing RCB again given his recent goalscoring form and the emergence of Ryan Porteous.

I’m fairly confident either Gilmour or McTominay won’t start. 

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

I’m going by my experience of managing the Scotland squad on FM23 and having to shoehorn him in there due to injuries, he was fucking shite. There you go. 

Finally, a bit of expert opinion.

Much like using multiple AIs, I feel that if we feed your FM experience through Bing's tactical nous, Steve Clarke can't ignore us forever.

40 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Finally, a bit of expert opinion.

Much like using multiple AIs, I feel that if we feed your FM experience through Bing's tactical nous, Steve Clarke can't ignore us forever.

We both know hes not ignoring me, he makes every move i suggest.

Won't be passing on the Hickey at centre back tip tho. And wouldn't even consider playing Tierney at centre back with 2 central defenders.

Clarke, quite rightly, will change as little as possible from the Spain game. In all likelihood if McTominay and the rest of the midfield are fit then Gilmour will have to wait for a start.

An interesting one could be if McTom could play the Christie role (as the poster above mentioned) but Christie’s energetic pressing style is key for us, so I’d hate to see him miss out also. We really do have a pretty good squad in most areas now. 

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

What an assist for Bridgeton against Newcastle btw.

@carlo_ancellotti are you watching?!

Can't let go of the fact that he played for the buns can you?

23 hours ago, albagubrath said:

I think Hickey could play at CB but that's part of the issue with categorizing players by positions in the first place in my opinion.

The national team players have demonstrated flexibility in terms of where they can play on the pitch. Andy Robertson has played left midfield, left centre back, left full back and right wing back. John McGinn has played left midfield, right midfield, holding midfield and attacking midfield roles and Scott McTominay has played as a centre back, as a #6 and a more advanced midfield role (Faroe Islands away) to name a few obvious examples of players showing positional flexibility but there are more.

Aaron Hickey also already will have experience doing centre-back jobs because he is expected to drop in to the backline as a covering defender when our left back is further up the field or to sometimes be the covering defender when we have Corner kicks.

In terms of McTominay vs Gilmour wouldn't it depend on who fits the opposition strengths/weaknesses and suits our game plan best neither of which we know.

Gilmour is maybe more niche than McTominay.

Edited by 2426255

22 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

This is the way.