Billy Gilmour

Kuro

The English tax is a thing. Elliot Anderson has done nothing in the EPL and yet he cost Nottingham Forest £35m*

£12m is an absolute steal for Gilmour's skillset.

(Yes. He be English till he proves otherwise)

Last season was the first when Gilmour's career started to have some stability, so it's comforting* that things are being daft again. 

*when I say comforting I actually mean not comforting at all 

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Too small, too weak, too unfit.

He didn't do enough at Brighton. 2 assists and 0 goals in 44 games.
Hanging around in your own half making stodgy backwards and sideways passes won't cut it in the #Barclays.

Busquets score 18 goals in 712 games for Barcelona.  He got 41 assists, so an average of 2 per season.  And that’s playing for one of the most dominant sides in history when getting an assist could be simply passing to Messi on the halfway line.

Similarly, Pirlo is one of the greatest midfielders of his generation.  His goal scoring from open play and his assist record is rubbish.  Too many sideways passed perhaps?

So you don’t miss the point, we don’t measure all players by their goals and assist records.  And no, that doesn’t mean I’m comparing him to Busquets or Pirlo.

16 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Busquets score 18 goals in 712 games for Barcelona.  He got 41 assists, so an average of 2 per season.  And that’s playing for one of the most dominant sides in history when getting an assist could be simply passing to Messi on the halfway line.

Similarly, Pirlo is one of the greatest midfielders of his generation.  His goal scoring from open play and his assist record is rubbish.  Too many sideways passed perhaps?

So you don’t miss the point, we don’t measure all players by their goals and assist records.  And no, that doesn’t mean I’m comparing him to Busquets or Pirlo.

Mate he's a fishing account 

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

The English tax is a thing. Elliot Anderson has done nothing in the EPL and yet he cost Nottingham Forest £35m*

£12m is an absolute steal for Gilmour's skillset.

(Yes. He be English till he proves otherwise)

The Anderson fee is nothing more than a way of getting around FFP, there's a few clubs making alarming transfers similarily for big fees and I have no doubt they will be invesitgated at some point by Premier League.

He was ridiculously over hyped way too early on here but I do find it strange his value is so low. I know it will be a low ball offer but 8 million doesn't get you much these days. I'm guessing his stature for the position he plays doesn't help and because of that it will be mainly teams who wish to play with a double pivot who will be after him, I have no idea if Napoli play that way though. He certainly does offer something Scotland needs more of in terms of progressive passing so as long he gets a game somewhere he will be fine for the national team. He is only 23 too so can still develop.

Edited by gannonball

At 23 we need him playing first team football. 

Him, Ferguson when back and Doak. That's our trio of superstars going into the next couple of tournaments for me. 

We still miss a bloody striker though. What are we coaching our lads when we haven't pulled out a half decent forward for years???

He’s one of our best players, he’s only 23 and he already has a good number of caps. He’ll likely be a mainstay of the team for a while yet.

When I saw there was a rumour of him moving to Napoli I thought it would be a good move for him. The more of our young players who can gets moves abroad to decent leagues, and then hack it for a few years, the better.

16 hours ago, Ranana Ban said:

Yeah for sure but Luka Modric is also one of the most technically gifted and just all round sexy players there's been in like 30 years! 

20/20 hindsight. Spurs were a midtable club when he joined and he struggled massively to impose himself. 

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

He was ridiculously over hyped way too early on here but I do find it strange his value is so low. I know it will be a low ball offer but 8 million doesn't get you much these days. I'm guessing his stature for the position he plays doesn't help and because of that it will be mainly teams who wish to play with a double pivot who will be after him, I have no idea if Napoli play that way though. He certainly does offer something Scotland needs more of in terms of progressive passing so as long he gets a game somewhere he will be fine for the national team. He is only 23 too so can still develop.

He was overhyped but he's also still a very good player and will be an extremely important player for Scotland until he retires with a wheen of caps.

£8 million is an obvious low-ball, test the waters bid.

On transfermarkt, he's valued at around £15 million, which probably seems fair enough.

A fairly reasonable suggestion coming from Brighton fans is that the new manager is looking to play a 3-4-3, which doesn't really suit Gilmour. So they're in a position where they could sell him for a bit less than they'd like now, or likely see his value drop over a season of not playing as much football under the new manager.

Napoli will know all of this and they're trying to get the best deal they can.

18 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Too small, too weak, too unfit.

He didn't do enough at Brighton. 2 assists and 0 goals in 44 games.
Hanging around in your own half making stodgy backwards and sideways passes won't cut it in the #Barclays.

I know this is bait but I thought it was interesting to read yesterday that Gilmour had the most progressive passes per 90 in Europe's top leagues last season.

I think he'll flourish in a more technical league, the English Premier League requires players to have more of a physical presence than anything else

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

I know this is bait but I thought it was interesting to read yesterday that Gilmour had the most progressive passes per 90 in Europe's top leagues last season.

I think he'll flourish in a more technical league, the English Premier League requires players to have more of a physical presence than anything else

Yes - there seems to be a sentiment on this thread that he had a bad season at Brighton last season. He did if you were playing Fantasy Premier League but there is more to it than that. He was considered one of their most influential players by RDZ but he is gone now. Their results dropped off a cliff when he was out of action. Pundits were using Gilmour vs Caicedo at Chelsea as an example of Brighton's canny signing policy vs Chelsea's disarray.

Gilmour is a v good player but he will only be useful to certain types of manager. Not even sure Clarke has that much use for him TBH.

He had a good season and seems well liked by their fans.

It’s possible the new manager just doesn’t fancy him for style of play he’s going to try implement. I don’t think it’s fair to say he wouldn’t suit a 3-4-3 though, that’s exactly what Conte at Napoli is famous for.

Is it true that people thought Gilmour had a bad season last season?

I saw all of his games. I'd saw that he was just below Gross for the player of the year.

His press resistance and one touch passing was incredible last season.

I'm a fan of Ferguson (still think his Dad and Uncle were better) and so impressed by how he's elevated his game. He was definitely the heartbeat of Bologna.

Billy Gilmour would absolutely dominate that league.

Personally don't really think he was overhyped at all, he is an exceptional talent who has already proved himself capable of playing at the top level despite being in a role where players tend to peak a fair bit later. The likes of Xavi, Pirlo, Modric, which is the style of metronomic passing midfielder he is, all flourished much later in their careers.

For him to have 30 caps for Scotland and nearly 100 games in the Premier League/Europe having just turned 23 is an excellent start to his career, particularly given that he had one major injury and a fairly unpleasant off-field experience.

On 21/07/2024 at 10:13, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

No Modric comparison this time. How convenient. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Personally don't really think he was overhyped at all, he is an exceptional talent who has already proved himself capable of playing at the top level despite being in a role where players tend to peak a fair bit later. The likes of Xavi, Pirlo, Modric, which is the style of metronomic passing midfielder he is, all flourished much later in their careers.

For him to have 30 caps for Scotland and nearly 100 games in the Premier League/Europe having just turned 23 is an excellent start to his career, particularly given that he had one major injury and a fairly unpleasant off-field experience.

I agree.

The ability to recycle and dictate the tempo is the most unappreciated aspects of football.

It's not sexy nor does it make the back page, but the ability to recycle, dictate and be the passing metronome in midfield is as important as a tackle for a defender or a goal by a striker.

People like to mock Frank Lampard. (No idea why. He was an exceptional footballer and he seems like a really lovely lad) but he loved Billy Gilmour and treated him brilliantly well.

If England had a player of Gilmour's skillset they would probably have beat Italy in the Euro 2 final and maybe Spain in the Euro 24 final.

Alas, they do not.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He is an exceptional talent in a Scottish context. I'm reluctant to extend that to an exceptional talent in the global context or even a UK context. If he gets better with age then so much the better and he has as you say already had an excellent start to his career.

Players like Gilmour don't come along every day for Scotland, so I understand why fans were excited and where the hype came from - but it went too far for me and contributed to the abuse he received while on loan at Norwich City whose supporters had unfair expectations of him because of that media and fan hype.