Billy Gilmour

Kuro

I don't think he's even earned a spot in the u21 midfield yet never mind the first team squad.

Fingers crossed he is going to be a superstar but right now he is a 17 year old who has played well against Grimsby. All the hype is because he is at a big EPL club and we are increasingly a nation of plastic EPL fans.

I don't think he's even earned a spot in the u21 midfield yet never mind the first team squad.
Fingers crossed he is going to be a superstar but right now he is a 17 year old who has played well against Grimsby. All the hype is because he is at a big EPL club and we are increasingly a nation of plastic EPL fans.

He has the worst possible coaches at under 19 and under 21, who both just blast the ball 50 yards as their tactic. I agree, let’s wait till he’s playing regularly on loan somewhere.

32 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He's a guaranteed starter for the U21's and has 9 caps,  although he missed out on the win in Croatia due to a knock sustained in the San Marino game.  He turned 18 in June (I also thought he was still 17).

If we were sorely lacking in Midfield then it would be worth a shout to give him a chance, however we're extremely strong in this part of the field and he's certainly done nothing (as yet) to merit even a call up to the main squad. If he can break into the Chelsea first team then by all means he'd be worth a shout but at the moment it's still just hype.

6 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

He's a guaranteed starter for the U21's and has 9 caps,  although he missed out on the win in Croatia due to a knock sustained in the San Marino game.  He turned 18 in June (I also thought he was still 17).

The starting midfield will be Campbell, Ferguson and Turnbull when Turnbull is back fit.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:
v1ayv52.png&key=6c8e064c594e1b61f9e92462188ea04c459c77f359bfcf1a9eb0616e397243beHe'll get picked as soon as he's good enough which is as it should be. We've got relative strength in the centre of the park just now.  Hopefully he gets a handfull of games this season and kicks on next. 

My post was clearly tongue and cheek, appears to have gone over your head

Not just over my head to be fair.

It's impossible to know one way or another whether to take such a comment at face value in this part of the forum as people regularly come out with such idiotic nonsense with complete sincerity.  

Not just over my head to be fair.
It's impossible to know one way or another whether to take such a comment at face value in this part of the forum as people regularly come out with such idiotic nonsense with complete sincerity.  
Fair point. Comment purely made tongue and cheek. If you're good enough you're old enough.

8 hours ago, Detournement said:

You’re clearly trolling, as in the Internet age there is absolutely no reason to be that ill-informed. He’s a regular for Scotland Under 21s and has been for some time, since his debut in the Toulon Tournament in May 2018 where he won the ‘Revelation of the Tournament’ award, as a cursory Wiki search will disclose.  

I saw him for the Under 21s against England 12 months ago at Tynecastle, and he was one of the few Scottish players to look remotely in the same class as the opposition, as otherwise it was men against boys. Slight of frame and small of stature, he looked tiny compared to the English guys, but his quality on the ball was obvious.

He won Premier League 2 (Under 23s + 4 over age players) Player of the Month for August, and has already had minutes in the EPL this season. Chelsea and Lampard clearly rate him, so wouldn’t bet against him getting more game time this season. If he does that, then he’ll be in the full Scotland squad sooner rather than later.

Edited by Frankie S

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

We need to move away from this idea that players need 100 odd games and be 23 or 24 before having them in the squad.

If they are better than what we have get them in.

Teams far better than us bring players in early. 

Fortunately we don't have that idea, which is why several players younger than that have been called up having played far fewer senior games. Andy Robertson had just turned 20 and was halfway through his first top flight season when he made his debut. Scott McTominay is 22 and has 11 caps - he had started 13 games for Man Utd.

Even in the last year or so we've had six players who have reached double figures in caps whilst aged 24 or under (Robertson, Tierney, McKenna, Paterson, McGinn, McTominay).

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Fortunately we don't have that idea, which is why several players younger than that have been called up having played far fewer senior games. Andy Robertson had just turned 20 and was halfway through his first top flight season when he made his debut. Scott McTominay is 22 and has 11 caps - he had started 13 games for Man Utd.

Even in the last year or so we've had six players who have reached double figures in caps whilst aged 24 or under (Robertson, Tierney, McKenna, Paterson, McGinn, McTominay).

Only having six players having played 10 or more games at 24 is a shocking stat. Some players are reaching their peak by that point. We should have double that with the amount of caps by that age.

As long as they are good enough, we should have players in the squad at 19, 20 getting games here and there to gain experience so by the time they get to 22, 23 they can really kick on.

McGinn, McGregor, Fraser, Souttar, Griffiths should all have way more caps than they currently have, and a lot of that is to do with managers not trusting them until they are much older. We should start having more faith in our youth players, thats the point im making.

Where is the harm in getting players like Gilmour, Mikey Johnson, Hornby or one of the younger keepers involved against a team like San Marino?

We don't "only have six". I only picked six from the last year.

McGinn got called up regularly when he was playing in the Championship for Hibs, Souttar was a joke figure up until about two years ago and sold the jerseys in Israel when he did actually play. McGregor could have been capped sooner but has also only really pinned his place down as a Celtic regular in the last two years. Fraser would have had many more caps if he didn't constantly pull out of every single squad for about three years. Griffiths, maybe, but he did get a good run of games when he was younger and didn't score which is why he dropped back out.

If anything the criticism should be that we are too quick to chop and change. That's the real reason we end up with loads of guys in their mid-20s with 15/20 caps.

No matter how many it is its not a "shocking" stat by any means. The national team isn't for building some team of teenagers in the hope they'll all become brilliant,its for calling up the best combined team we have available. If we haven't called up enough young players it's because they aren't good enough. The ones Craig mentioned were. 

Except Burke. 

On 28/09/2019 at 10:54, craigkillie said:

If anything the criticism should be that we are too quick to chop and change. That's the real reason we end up with loads of guys in their mid-20s with 15/20 caps.

Or perhaps its because Scotland didn't change even when the same guys were failing over and over again, callum McGregor is a good example, two years before he made his scotland debut he was playing over 30 games for celtic in a season including 11 in europe, 

Steven fletcher is another example, 9 Scotland goals (6 against Gibraltar) but continued to be picked when he was in poor form club level and international level, so any upcoming striker doesn't get the game time needed when younger to prepare themselves for the international stage

On 27/09/2019 at 13:46, Detournement said:

Fact check!