Do You Support Scottish Sides in Europe?

Kejan

Do you support Scottish teams in Europe?   

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Celtic get over fifty times as much.

That's why it's foolish to support them in Europe, the central point of this thread.

Celtic EARN the right to play in Europe it's not a gift,representing our country you EARN the rewards of success.
Just because you disagree with the amount rewarded doesn't make it wrong,beating 4 other champions from across Europe home and away Celtic EARN the right.
Every team and country gets their piece of pie from UFEA some more than others by winning games of football.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic EARN the right to play in Europe it's not a gift,representing our country you EARN the rewards of success.
Just because you disagree with the amount rewarded doesn't make it wrong,beating 4 other champions from across Europe home and away Celtic EARN the right.
Every team and country gets their piece of pie from UFEA some more than others by winning games of football.

We're straying a little from the point about Europe, but I think that the concept of prize money in professional team sport is intrinsically flawed as it serves to perpetuate an order.

Don’t think anyone is suggesting Celtic change things here.

The governing bodies whether it be the SFA, uefa or whoever else create the environment that every club seeks to maximise, Celtic being no different. They have a duty to their stakeholders to do so.

Strong leadership is required from those running the game to take it in the direction people want but that simply won’t happen.

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don’t think anyone is suggesting Celtic change things here.

The governing bodies whether it be the SFA, uefa or whoever else create the environment that every club seeks to maximise, Celtic being no different. They have a duty to their stakeholders to do so.

Strong leadership is required from those running the game to take it in the direction people want but that simply won’t happen.

For me the biggest thing is the self interest, for me in Europe the Scots competing could put the self interests aside and share resources.
The next biggest problem is the infrastructure the government would need to get involved and fund the game.
Instead of every club seeks to maximise, change that to Scottish football seeks to maximise.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

For me the biggest thing is the self interest, for me in Europe the Scots competing could put the self interests aside and share resources.
The next biggest problem is the infrastructure the government would need to get involved and fund the game.
Instead of every club seeks to maximise, change that to Scottish football seeks to maximise.

I think clubs competing in Europe  sharing resources (better than they do now) would be a great idea. Unfortunately the prize money for being in the qualifiers only really covers the cost of competing (travelling etc) in most cases although we get the benefit of bigger crowds than we would for a Betfred cup fixture against Peterhead in fairness.

The remit of the SFA/SPFL is to maximise Scottish football. They are not interested in a more competitive league, a strong tv deal, european money coming in contributes to their measurment of maximising Scottish football, the competitiveness of the league does not.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think clubs competing in Europe  sharing resources (better than they do now) would be a great idea. Unfortunately the prize money for being in the qualifiers only really covers the cost of competing (travelling etc) in most cases although we get the benefit of bigger crowds than we would for a Betfred cup fixture against Peterhead in fairness.

The remit of the SFA/SPFL is to maximise Scottish football. They are not interested in a more competitive league, a strong tv deal, european money coming in contributes to their measurment of maximising Scottish football, the competitiveness of the league does not.

Most clubs don't budget for European football the four clubs going into Europe go in as individuals if that small step can be changed to one association one nation.
You are already breaking down the barriers of self interest or self preservation.

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Most clubs don't budget for European football the four clubs going into Europe go in as individuals if that small step can be changed to one association one nation.
You are already breaking down the barriers of self interest or self preservation.

You're going to have to give me more detail than that corporate nonsense you just came out with.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unfortunately the prize money for being in the qualifiers only really covers the cost of competing (travelling etc) in most cases although we get the benefit of bigger crowds than we would for a Betfred cup fixture against Peterhead in fairness.

€780,000 based on last year's prize money. Plus gates as you mentioned and whatever revenue from tv rights you generate.

43 minutes ago, throbber said:

I would rather watch Celtic play in the CL group stages than a team like FC Cluj who I just wouldn’t bother watching, but I still find it impossible to like them and find it hilarious when they got knocked out of anything.

Pretty much the same throbber. We seriously need to be competing though. 

Regardless of who's playing I always want all our teams to do well in Europe! I've been ridiculed for years supporting my local side but I wouldn't jump on the glory hunting bandwagon but I must admit sometimes I get a bit jealous on European nights! Good luck tonight anyway!