The Boys

King Kebab

5 hours ago, velo army said:

I've given it some obvious stick on here but that was a good finale. Still some patchy writing in the last couple of episodes (the Sage "plan" being laughably contrived) but the rest was great. b*****ds have got me looking forward to the next series, if there is one. This series absolutely tanked on its audience score so it remains to be seen if it'll be renewed.

It was announced last month that there will be a season 5 and that it will also be the final season.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/the-boys-season-5-final-season-1236033418/

6 hours ago, velo army said:

I've given it some obvious stick on here but that was a good finale. Still some patchy writing in the last couple of episodes (the Sage "plan" being laughably contrived) but the rest was great. b*****ds have got me looking forward to the next series, if there is one. This series absolutely tanked on its audience score so it remains to be seen if it'll be renewed.

Aye, I can’t help but feel that the show would’ve been better (and still worked) without Sage. I didn’t like how moronic Homelander suddenly became this season when previous seasons showed he was actually anything but. I get that this season was about him becoming more and more mentally unhinged but I feel like he’s shifted to also being a complete idiot at the same time. 

Also, Ryan is a wee c**t.

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye, I can’t help but feel that the show would’ve been better (and still worked) without Sage. I didn’t like how moronic Homelander suddenly became this season when previous seasons showed he was actually anything but. I get that this season was about him becoming more and more mentally unhinged but I feel like he’s shifted to also being a complete idiot at the same time. 

Also, Ryan is a wee c**t.

I've just rewatched it all from the start and finished everything last night, and I would thoroughly disagree with this. I wouldn't say he was a purely stupid character (like Deep, say), but he's impetuous, easily manipulated and arrogant, and has many, many, many moments of abject stupidity throughout the 3 seasons before this one, and just because he's gotten away with it (the plane, being recorded killing collateral damage civillians while taking out a supe terrorist, murdering the guy in public that throws the bottle at Ryan, etc). Listening to and believing Sage until she disappointed him and then having a tantrum was completely on brand as well, it was even explained in the episode where he went back "home". He craves approval and adulation, and will do basically anything to get it.

The Sage stuff seemed fairly obvious to me as well, she doesn't have a high-flying job, etc because she's a p***k. She's more intelligent than everyone else, knows it, and ensures everyone else does to, and it's referenced throughout the season that she fucked up opportunities because she couldn't keep her mouth shut. She also doesn't care about material possessions, etc. She's basically a nihilist. 

I didn't think there was any difference in the quality of the writing or any loss of subtlety between this season and the other three. The backdrop of the season is almost entirely political, so it may have been more prevalent than previous when there were other things going on, but the tone of the show hasn't changed a bit. Homelander and Vought have always been portrayed as sociopathic monsters and that capitalism has played a huge part in that. The public at the Vought conferences or theme parks, Homelander fans, etc have always been portrayed as gullible imbeciles and bigots, lapping up any old slop just because it has Vought on it or Homelander tells them, that's been consistent all the way through, and its never been subtle. How do you possibly subtly satirise what's going on in US politics just now? Hulk Hogan introduced the Republican Presidential nominee with a promo last night, ffs.

My only gripe is that we now have to wait until 2026 for the final season. Fucking diabolical.

While I enjoyed the last few episodes, I'm really struggling to reconcile the tone the writers struck when dealing with Hughie, he's been raped and sexually assaulted numerous times in this season, and it was played off for laughs in one episode and completely brushed over in another because Annie was annoyed he had sex with an identical clone of herself.
Also, I understand that Annie's character development has been on a giant arc from naive puppet to independent, self-sufficient person, but I struggle to believe that she would react the way she did to what Hughie has been through.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2024 at 12:56, J_Stewart said:

I've just rewatched it all from the start and finished everything last night, and I would thoroughly disagree with this. I wouldn't say he was a purely stupid character (like Deep, say), but he's impetuous, easily manipulated and arrogant, and has many, many, many moments of abject stupidity throughout the 3 seasons before this one, and just because he's gotten away with it (the plane, being recorded killing collateral damage civillians while taking out a supe terrorist, murdering the guy in public that throws the bottle at Ryan, etc). Listening to and believing Sage until she disappointed him and then having a tantrum was completely on brand as well, it was even explained in the episode where he went back "home". He craves approval and adulation, and will do basically anything to get it.

The Sage stuff seemed fairly obvious to me as well, she doesn't have a high-flying job, etc because she's a p***k. She's more intelligent than everyone else, knows it, and ensures everyone else does to, and it's referenced throughout the season that she fucked up opportunities because she couldn't keep her mouth shut. She also doesn't care about material possessions, etc. She's basically a nihilist. 

I didn't think there was any difference in the quality of the writing or any loss of subtlety between this season and the other three. The backdrop of the season is almost entirely political, so it may have been more prevalent than previous when there were other things going on, but the tone of the show hasn't changed a bit. Homelander and Vought have always been portrayed as sociopathic monsters and that capitalism has played a huge part in that. The public at the Vought conferences or theme parks, Homelander fans, etc have always been portrayed as gullible imbeciles and bigots, lapping up any old slop just because it has Vought on it or Homelander tells them, that's been consistent all the way through, and its never been subtle. How do you possibly subtly satirise what's going on in US politics just now? Hulk Hogan introduced the Republican Presidential nominee with a promo last night, ffs.

My only gripe is that we now have to wait until 2026 for the final season. Fucking diabolical.

Good post generally, but I still think Sage is a poorly written character. Again, we're continually told she's smart but she doesn't demonstrate it. The big "tadah" moment at the end with the president seemed very contrived. Where were you getting that she doesn't have success because she can't keep her mouth shut? 

I think you'll be right about Homeland's impetuousness, so thanks for doing the spadework on that. 

I thought more about the political satire and i realise what bothered me most about it. It isn't satire. Satire will refer indirectly to the subject and create an allegory around it which helps you see its absurdity.  What we had was an awful lot of memberberries (apologies for the GenZ patter) as we played Right Wing Nutjob Bingo. The references were largely out of date and not cleverly done. 

It was didactic and patrician rather than smart.

I'll still watch the next series, but I hope they do something with the remaining characters as they just seemed to be there to make up the numbers.